The Wild Boar Bites Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt - I concur that the content of the gospel needs to be proclaimed to the lost sinner in power and truth. The Hitawatchi (or whatever you called them! :D ) Indians would need to understand their sinfulness, the penalty for sin, the purpose of Christ's advent, His resurrection and the efficacy of the gospel to those who trust in Christ by faith. But I need to make a few comments and ask some questions:

1. Comparing a woman holding a sign that says, "Jesus is Coming Soon" to evangelizing an unreached people group is apples and oranges. The difference is so radical that I doubt the woman you saw holding the sign would agree that her method would be ineffective to a remote Indian tribe.

2. While agreeing with you on the need to proclaim the entirety of the gospel, is it possible that this sign could be used by God as part of His process of calling a sinner to repentance? Could it not provoke thought in the mind of the person who reads the sign? Is it possible that the Lord may use this simple sign to bring a person to the next step?

3. The sign was theologically accurate. Jesus is coming soon. Wasn't this part of the message of the Old Testament messianic prophecies? Messiah is coming soon! Yes, the sign carried no content on who the Messiah was, or why He was returning. But theologically speaking, her sign was correct. Since her sign was not inaccurate, could not God use that truth?

Matt - I am not for one moment advocating a watered down gospel. I do not believe in eclectic or expedient evangelism. But my belief in the sovereignty of God forces me to concede that the Lord can use even a snipet of truth to call His elect. A person cannot come to faith solely on the truth that Jesus is coming again. But may not that truth be built upon?

Interesting I agree with both Matt and Bill. I agree with Matt that such a sign,even though theological true, is devoid of gospel content. I agree with Bill that God can use a snipet of truth to draw the elect. My only question would be is; should we prescribe such methodology? I guess only if it is with intention of drawing a crowd in order to fully explain the Gospel to them. But then we could use better sign such as "Christ saves sinners"

Btw Matt I believe I saw the same woman, was she on 441 and Marina Blvd?

Jonathan - by no means am I endorsing this woman's methodology. We should seek to proclaim the gospel correctly. My response to Matt's post was to point out that God is able to use anything for His purpose. I know Matt believes that. I was stating it for the rest of us.

Yes, Bob, in "drawing" God can use Indiana Jones (as He did with me.)

Jonathan, no - it was the corner of Lyons and Hillsboro.

(Maybe she just runs really fast from corner to corner!)

I was pondering the fact that this woman is at least holding up a sign. What are "we" doing? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back