The works of William Perkins

Discussion in 'The Literary Forum' started by Mayflower, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mayflower

Mayflower Puritan Board Junior

I just saw this at Reformation heritage books:

http://www.heritagebooks.org/item.asp?bookId=3013

Title: Donation Towards the Publication of Perkins
    Retail Price: $50.00
    Our Price: $50.00
    In Stock: Ships within 4-5 business days.
    Format: Hardcover

http://www.heritagebooks.org/browse.asp?btab=new&browseMode=page&pcnt=6&tot=69

Donation Towards the Publication of Perkins
    Retail Price: $25.00
    Our Price: $25.00

Donation Towards the Publication of Perkins
    Retail Price: $100.00
    Our Price: $100.00

Does this mean that they have plans to gonne publish the works ?

[Edited on 3-8-2006 by Mayflower]

[Edited on 3-8-2006 by Mayflower]

2. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

Yes, it's in the works! :pilgrim:

3. Jeff_Bartel

Jeff_Bartel Puritan Board Graduate

I've been waiting for this! :up::up:

4. Mayflower

Mayflower Puritan Board Junior

The next information i got from RHB :

We do plan Lord willing to publish all three volumes of William
    Perkins. We hope to be able to release the first volume sometime in 2007 with each volume following about a year after that. It is a large
    undertaking for our little staff. The books are being scanned in now
    and will need to be edited, type set etc. We will certainly have more
    information available as we get closer to a publication date. Thanks
    for your inquiry. Blessings.

5. VirginiaHuguenot

You can follow the progress here (see this thread).

6. crhoades

crhoades Puritan Board Graduate

Does anyone have a table of contents? I've located a 1 volume works of Perkins from Appleford Books in England but I'm not sure what all it contains. It's pricey at 100+. I have his commentary on Galatians...

7. polemic_turtle

polemic_turtle Puritan Board Freshman

Cool; I've wondered if I'd have to print up my own set. :-\

Now, to find some infinite funding for improving myself, where to find? :-?

[Edited on 3-26-2006 by polemic_turtle]

8. Me Died Blue

Me Died Blue Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Which individual works of his can already be obtained? In particular, where could I find an unabridged version of The Art of Prophesying and The Calling of the Ministry?

9. polemic_turtle

Supposedly, I'm to receive his "complete" works in scanned image PDF form, upon which happening, I shall peruse it in search of your desired works. I'm not entirely sure, but the fellow from whom I bought it said that it was perfectly ok for me to give the scans away as I wished to. So, if you have any use for such, just let me know. OCR should be able to convert it to plain text, which they could print up at Kinkos for rather cheap, if you can't find the work anywhere else.

10. Me Died Blue

Wow - thanks so much for offering to send me files of those two works of his. I actually ordered the Puritan Paperbacks version, unaware that all of them are abridgements, and not just some. I probably won't end up having the two files printed out at Kindo's or the like, but just reading them on the computer and getting a hard copy once they finish the publication of his complete works in a couple years or so.

Out of curiosity, which works of his have you read?

11. polemic_turtle

None at all; actually, I only know what little I do because of his historical significance. According to Curt Daniels, he was Cambridge's Calvin, selling more books in England than Calvin and Beza combined, which made him the most influential theologian that would dictate where Puritan Calvinism would venture.

I look forward to reading him, though! :) DVDs shipped today.

Note: I just remembered; I believe these scans may be in some pretty barbaric English; it may take some getting used to. :-\

12. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

Scans should be free and clear unless they were downloaded from the Proquest EEBO collection.

13. NaphtaliPress

What I mean is, if the scans were made of the person's own private copy or someone else's with permission. The EEBO edition is under license agreements with Proquest and cannot be so "spread around." Legally I mean.

14. Archlute

Archlute Puritan Board Senior

We have the EEBO collection here at WSC, and it is truly amazing. For William Perkins alone there are 197 listed items. Many of them are duplicate copies that are held in various British Libraries, but even then you can find numerous individual selections along side the complete three volume set.

There's an excellent sermon of his, which I am in the process of reading, entitled "The combat betvveene Christ and the Diuell displayed: or A commentarie vpon the temptations of Christ: preached in Cambridge by that reuerend and iudicious diuine M. William Perkins"

Very edifying thoughts, although I'm sorry that I can't send it to anybody :(

15. NaphtaliPress

Yes you can, you just have to transcribe it for us.;)

16. Archlute

Archlute Puritan Board Senior

Ha!!!

(That's all I have to say while in seminary...)

17. Me Died Blue

I just received a copy of Perkins' complete works on CD-ROM for just under $20! Though it's in the old typeset layout, it's more than worth it to have access to his writings at this time.

I'm about to finish the first piece of his I started, The Foundation of Christian Religion, Gathered Into Six Principles. How many others here have read that short piece? After Owen's Mortification, this is actually the first full, original Puritan work I've read, and I must say, the piercing simplicity is immensely refreshing.

18. VirginiaHuguenot

Cool! I'm waiting for the RHB-EPP edition of all of his works to come out, but in the meantime it sounds like you got a good deal! :cool:

I've read the online versions here and here. I think it is excellent.

19. VirginiaHuguenot

One work by Perkins that I would especially like to read is Christian Economy: or, A Short Survey of the Right Manner of Erecting and Ordering a Family According to the Scriptures (1590, 1609).

[Edited on 8-27-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

20. Don Kistler

Don Kistler Puritan Board Sophomore

It's very rough going, men. Perkins' use of language is very outdated, as are many of his illustrations. He speaks of marrying "German-cousins," and such things of which we would have no concept. He's worth the effort, just be ready to put the effort into it!

21. C. Matthew McMahon

C. Matthew McMahon Christian Preacher

Are these facsimlies or text typed out so one could search them or cut and paste?

22. Me Died Blue

They're the facsimiles, so you can't search for anything. Do you already have those?

23. VirginiaHuguenot

I think I recall seeing that phrase in Baxter's Christian Directory too. As you say, it takes effort to figure those things out, but it's worth it!

24. VirginiaHuguenot

For what it's worth, Here it is from Baxter's Christian Directory, p. 405:

25. VirginiaHuguenot

An antiquarian set of Perkins' Works is for sale at Ebay.

26. Casey

Casey Puritan Board Junior

If only I had a temperature- and humidity-controlled library . . . :think:

27. Jeff_Bartel

Jeff_Bartel Puritan Board Graduate

That honestly seems pretty cheap for something like that. I saw this go across the Warfield list, but it's out of my price range for books!:book2:

28. NaphtaliPress

At this posting I must say, $305 is cheap! Watch out for DCL swooping in to snag them on that ebay auction! Of course the price may be surpressed if folks know about the RHB project.

29. R. Scott Clark

R. Scott Clark Puritan Board Senior

The boards are broken. The pages seem to be in good condition, but if covers are separated it makes it really hard to use them.

rsc

30. NaphtaliPress

I just noticed you cannot see who is bidding any more on Ebay. Do they show the winner to more than just the winner?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.