Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
I just saw this at Reformation heritage books:

http://www.heritagebooks.org/item.asp?bookId=3013

Title: Donation Towards the Publication of Perkins
Retail Price: $50.00
Our Price: $50.00
In Stock: Ships within 4-5 business days.
Format: Hardcover

http://www.heritagebooks.org/browse.asp?btab=new&browseMode=page&pcnt=6&tot=69

Donation Towards the Publication of Perkins
Retail Price: $25.00
Our Price: $25.00

Donation Towards the Publication of Perkins
Retail Price: $100.00
Our Price: $100.00

Does this mean that they have plans to gonne publish the works ?

[Edited on 3-8-2006 by Mayflower]

[Edited on 3-8-2006 by Mayflower]

The next information i got from RHB :

We do plan Lord willing to publish all three volumes of William
Perkins. We hope to be able to release the first volume sometime in 2007 with each volume following about a year after that. It is a large
undertaking for our little staff. The books are being scanned in now
and will need to be edited, type set etc. We will certainly have more
information available as we get closer to a publication date. Thanks
for your inquiry. Blessings.

Does anyone have a table of contents? I've located a 1 volume works of Perkins from Appleford Books in England but I'm not sure what all it contains. It's pricey at 100+. I have his commentary on Galatians...

Cool; I've wondered if I'd have to print up my own set. :-\

Now, to find some infinite funding for improving myself, where to find? :-?

[Edited on 3-26-2006 by polemic_turtle]

Which individual works of his can already be obtained? In particular, where could I find an unabridged version of The Art of Prophesying and The Calling of the Ministry?

Supposedly, I'm to receive his "complete" works in scanned image PDF form, upon which happening, I shall peruse it in search of your desired works. I'm not entirely sure, but the fellow from whom I bought it said that it was perfectly ok for me to give the scans away as I wished to. So, if you have any use for such, just let me know. OCR should be able to convert it to plain text, which they could print up at Kinkos for rather cheap, if you can't find the work anywhere else.

Originally posted by polemic_turtle
Supposedly, I'm to receive his "complete" works in scanned image PDF form, upon which happening, I shall peruse it in search of your desired works. I'm not entirely sure, but the fellow from whom I bought it said that it was perfectly ok for me to give the scans away as I wished to. So, if you have any use for such, just let me know. OCR should be able to convert it to plain text, which they could print up at Kinkos for rather cheap, if you can't find the work anywhere else.

Wow - thanks so much for offering to send me files of those two works of his. I actually ordered the Puritan Paperbacks version, unaware that all of them are abridgements, and not just some. I probably won't end up having the two files printed out at Kindo's or the like, but just reading them on the computer and getting a hard copy once they finish the publication of his complete works in a couple years or so.

Out of curiosity, which works of his have you read?

None at all; actually, I only know what little I do because of his historical significance. According to Curt Daniels, he was Cambridge's Calvin, selling more books in England than Calvin and Beza combined, which made him the most influential theologian that would dictate where Puritan Calvinism would venture.

I look forward to reading him, though! :) DVDs shipped today.

Note: I just remembered; I believe these scans may be in some pretty barbaric English; it may take some getting used to. :-\

What I mean is, if the scans were made of the person's own private copy or someone else's with permission. The EEBO edition is under license agreements with Proquest and cannot be so "spread around." Legally I mean.

We have the EEBO collection here at WSC, and it is truly amazing. For William Perkins alone there are 197 listed items. Many of them are duplicate copies that are held in various British Libraries, but even then you can find numerous individual selections along side the complete three volume set.

There's an excellent sermon of his, which I am in the process of reading, entitled "The combat betvveene Christ and the Diuell displayed: or A commentarie vpon the temptations of Christ: preached in Cambridge by that reuerend and iudicious diuine M. William Perkins"

Very edifying thoughts, although I'm sorry that I can't send it to anybody :(

Yes you can, you just have to transcribe it for us.;)
Originally posted by Archlute
We have the EEBO collection here at WSC, ...

There's an excellent sermon of his, ...

Very edifying thoughts, although I'm sorry that I can't send it to anybody :(

I just received a copy of Perkins' complete works on CD-ROM for just under $20! Though it's in the old typeset layout, it's more than worth it to have access to his writings at this time.

I'm about to finish the first piece of his I started, The Foundation of Christian Religion, Gathered Into Six Principles. How many others here have read that short piece? After Owen's Mortification, this is actually the first full, original Puritan work I've read, and I must say, the piercing simplicity is immensely refreshing.

Originally posted by Me Died Blue
I just received a copy of Perkins' complete works on CD-ROM for just under $20! Though it's in the old typeset layout, it's more than worth it to have access to his writings at this time.

Cool! I'm waiting for the RHB-EPP edition of all of his works to come out, but in the meantime it sounds like you got a good deal! :cool:

I'm about to finish the first piece of his I started, The Foundation of Christian Religion, Gathered Into Six Principles. How many others here have read that short piece? After Owen's Mortification, this is actually the first full, original Puritan work I've read, and I must say, the piercing simplicity is immensely refreshing.

I've read the online versions here and here. I think it is excellent.

One work by Perkins that I would especially like to read is Christian Economy: or, A Short Survey of the Right Manner of Erecting and Ordering a Family According to the Scriptures (1590, 1609).

[Edited on 8-27-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

It's very rough going, men. Perkins' use of language is very outdated, as are many of his illustrations. He speaks of marrying "German-cousins," and such things of which we would have no concept. He's worth the effort, just be ready to put the effort into it!

Are these facsimlies or text typed out so one could search them or cut and paste?

Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon

Are these facsimlies or text typed out so one could search them or cut and paste?

They're the facsimiles, so you can't search for anything. Do you already have those?

Originally posted by Don Kistler
It's very rough going, men. Perkins' use of language is very outdated, as are many of his illustrations. He speaks of marrying "German-cousins," and such things of which we would have no concept. He's worth the effort, just be ready to put the effort into it!

I think I recall seeing that phrase in Baxter's Christian Directory too. As you say, it takes effort to figure those things out, but it's worth it!

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Originally posted by Don Kistler

I think I recall seeing that phrase in Baxter's Christian Directory too. As you say, it takes effort to figure those things out, but it's worth it!

For what it's worth, Here it is from Baxter's Christian Directory, p. 405:

Quest. III. Is the marriage of cousin-germans, that is of brothers' children, or sisters' children, or brothers' and sisters' children, unlawful?

Answ. I think not; 1. Because not forbidden by God. 2. Because none of that same rank are two degrees from the root. I refer the reader for my reasons to a Latin treatise of Charles Butler on this subject, for in those I rest. As all the children of Noah's sons did marry their cousin-germans, (for they could not marry in any remoter degree) so have others since without reproof, and none are forbidden. 3. But it is safest to do otherwise, because there is choice enoguh beside, and because many divines being of the contrary opinion, may make it matter of scruple and trouble afterwards, to those that venture upon it without need.

At this posting I must say, $305 is cheap! Watch out for DCL swooping in to snag them on that ebay auction! Of course the price may be surpressed if folks know about the RHB project.

The boards are broken. The pages seem to be in good condition, but if covers are separated it makes it really hard to use them.

rsc

At this posting I must say, $305 is cheap! Watch out for DCL swooping in to snag them on that ebay auction! Of course the price may be surpressed if folks know about the RHB project.

I just noticed you cannot see who is bidding any more on Ebay. Do they show the winner to more than just the winner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back