Their Diligence is Enlarged when They are Enlarged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua

AdMEANistrator
Staff member
The Rev. Andrew Gray (Works, p. 238):

Those enjoyments that are real (which indeed are significations of [God’s] love and respect to you) do exceedingly move and humble the Christian, and cause him to walk low in his own estimation. Hence is that word, 2 Sam. 7:18, 19, where David being under such a load of love, that (in a manner) he is forced to sit down and cannot stand; he doth subjoin that expression, Who am I, O Lord? and what is my house, that thou hast brought me hitherto? And also in Job 42:5, 6, where to that enjoyment which Job had of God, so as to see him with the seeing of the eye, (a sight not so frequent in those days,) he subjoins a strange inference from so divine promises, therefore I abhor myself in dust and ashes. And in Isa. 6:5, compared with the preceding verses, where Isaiah, from that clear discovery of God, so as to see him in his temple, is constrained to cry out, Wo is me, for I am undone, because I am a man of unclean lips. It were our advantage, that when we are lifted up to the third heavens, were it to hear words that are unspeakable, yet to cover our upper lip, and cry, Unclean, unclean: we ought alway to sit near the dust, the more that grace exalts us to heaven. And we conceive that it is a most excellent way to keep ourselves in life after our enjoyments, to be walking humbly with God, and to know that the root beareth us, and not we the root. Christian enlargements that are real have this effect upon them, it doth provoke to a more constant exercise in pursuing after God; their diligence is enlarged when they are enlarged: hence is that word, Psalm 116:2, Because God hath inclined his heart unto me, (which presupposeth access,) therefore will I call upon him as long as I live. It is certain that if our enjoyments be real, they will be well improven, for this is a fruit which doth always accompany them.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back