Theodoret of Cyrus on Isaiah 53:5

Discussion in 'Church History' started by SebastianClinciuJJ, Feb 9, 2019.

1. SebastianClinciuJJ

SebastianClinciuJJ Puritan Board Freshman

In his commentary on the book of Isaiah, Theodoret wrote:

“We became enemies of God through our sins that we have committed. It is appropriate now to endure the punishment of those sins so that we will gain peace. But He[Christ] took upon himself our punishment and gave us His peace. Strange way to heal: the doctor endures the surgery and the patient is the one who gets healed!” (Sources Chretiennes 315:152,153)

I did not find this passage in the Patrologiae. If someone is intersting in the greek text, let me know and I will provide it to you.

Blessings in Christ,
    Sebastian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DTK

DTK Puritan Board Junior

I would be interested to see the Greek text of which you speak.

3. SebastianClinciuJJ

Here it is:

SC 315:152

If you want, you can find this particular volume of SC on Scribd. It is bilingual greek-french. I tend to be careful with patristic writings that are not found in the PL, CCSL or CSEL, but, as far as I know, SC is a reliable collection of patristic writings.

Blessings in Christ,
    Sebastian

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. DTK

DTK Puritan Board Junior

Well, part of your Greek citation is found in Migne; This part,
    Ἡμαρτηκότες ἐξεπολεμήθημεν τῷ θεῷ, ἔδει δὲ ἡμᾶς παιδευθέντας οὕτω τυχεῖν τῆς εἰρήνης, ἀλλʼ αὐτὸς εἰς ἑαυτὸν τὴν παιδείαν δεξάμενος τῆς εἰρήνης ἡμᾶς ἠξίωσεν., is found in PG 81:441C.

But you are right that this portion, Τῷ μώλωπι αὐτοῦ ἡμεῖς ἰάθημεν. Καινὸς καὶ παράδοξος ἰατρείας τρόπος· ὁ ἰατρὸς ἐδέξατο τὴν τομήν, καὶ ὁ ἄρρωστος ἔτυχε τῆς ἰάσεως., is not found in Migne.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  5. Contra_Mundum

Contra_Mundum Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger Staff Member

Do you think Migne may doubt the ending portion, and maybe regards it as a later addition, a marginal note (scribal commentary) that migrated into the text?

6. DTK

DTK Puritan Board Junior

Bruce, though Migne's mss of the Latin & Greek fathers is the "go to" reference by most patrologists when they document sources for ancient ecclesiastical writers, his is not regarded as the most "critical" and/or the most reliable for the same. However, Migne's collection is by far the most extensive, his Greek fathers/theologians comprizing around 162 volumes, while his Latin collection has around 221 plus later supplements. I suspect that Sources Chretiennes is often more reliable due to better and more critical scholarship. Now, to be sure, I am simply offering my own personal, 'off the cuff' opinion. So please do not regard my opinion as the final word.

7. SebastianClinciuJJ

Thank you very much!
    Do you have an index for both the Patrologia Latina & Graeca?

Regarding your comments on the reliability of Migne’s Patrologiae, I think that in terms of reliability I would go with a CSEL (some volumes can be found online, even many writings of Augustine, although, to my disappointment, not his Sermones). But in terms of giving a reference, PL/PG is more available and popular, therefore better.

Blessings in Christ,
    Sebastian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DTK

DTK Puritan Board Junior

9. SebastianClinciuJJ