Theological's new "Word of the Day" Hyper-Calvinism

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing you should not be doing: coming on to a Reformed board and criticizing another man for his weak understanding of what hyper-Calvinism is and then expecting to be treated with kid gloves. If you're man enough to throw down then gird up your loins.

What are you talking about? You did not answer my post, you took it over. Is this your board?
Yes, it is, in part. Yes, I answered your post.
If not then tell me what I said that got you involved in this discussion and what I said that was wrong about God.

My previous post are there for anyone to read. Do you have a problem with what I said about God? If you do tell me where and we will have a starting point.

Who was I criticizing for a weak understanding of hyper-Calvinism?

Yes, you are correct. Folks can read this thread, except that I'm curious that you state I have not answered your post. In the OP you wrote:

Spinningplates2 said:
What about this part, "the belief in meticulous sovereignty (that God is the immediate cause of all things)?" This is the part that I believe that let's people end the discussion by saying, "Well, I can't talk to you because you're a hyper-calvinist. I also believe in superlapsarianism and that God's love is only for the Elect.

To which I replied:
The notion that God is the immediate cause of all things is not Reformed. That is not the same thing as saying He superintends all but to state that He is the immediate agent of all thoughts/intentions is not Calvinistic.

I have answered your post. Do you see the bit about "immediate" agent in my response? What you disagreed with in the author's definition is, in fact, not Reformed. Now, I might have interacted with other portions but, primarily, I was correcting you for correcting the site on that point. It's what the Canons of Dordt calls blasphemous to say that God is the immediate cause of all things for that would make Him the author of sin.

I'm not proposing that the entire definition is adequate but, on this point, you don't seem to grasp what immediate causation is enough to say that it's a poor definition. If you do grasp immediate causation and believe God immediately causes all things then we'll need to evaluate your membership on the basis of Confessional requirements, which you responded to sharply when I quoted. Calm down and read carefully.

Peter Toons treatment of hypercalvinism online

Anglican Church historian, Peter Toon, has a treatment of hypercalvinism that is now online here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back