Theology as idolatry

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrittenFromUtopia

Puritan Board Graduate
Can and when does the study of theology become idolatry? What should our focus in studying theology be? On my website, I discuss this briefly, as a preface:

While growing in knowledge and wisdom of the Lord is a wonderful thing, and can be most beneficial not only for our own personal piety and relationship with the Lord our God, but also for our relationships with other people, we must realize and focus seriously on the fact that, theology, without a proper basis and foundation, is nothing but mere head knowledge. If we are studying theology simply to the end of gaining knowledge, we are living in sin. Studying the Word of God and its theological and practical implications must come out of a heart that is regenerated by the Spirit of God and aimed at glorifying Him in all things, helping others in all things, and having an attitude of reverence, fear, and penitence towards God in all things.

As it is written,

The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.
(Proverbs 1:7a ESV)

Nothing could be more true, and more applicable, especially on a website devoted to the study and understanding of Biblical truths.

Am I on the right track with this? Thoughts? :pray2:

I think what you said is good. I would only add that the truth you pointed out is itself doctrine or theology in the sense that it is simply the biblical position on why we are to study Scripture at all. In other words, if someone gets to the point where their "theology" is only head knowledge, that reveals a problem within their theology itself. William Ames' quotation says it well: "Theology is doctrine or teaching of living to God."

Excellent. All study of the Scriptures must result in ministry. It must result in a ministry unto our own soul (communion with and worship of God), a ministry unto the body of Christ (love and edification of the saints), and a ministry in the world (preaching the Gospel and pleading with people to be reconciled to God through Jesus Christ).

Moreover, i just don't think the believer can engage in a true study of the Scriptures and not be conformed to the image of Christ. 2 Corinthians 3:18 teaches that one cannot truly behold the glory of Christ by faith and not be progressively changed into that same image of Christ.

So in this sense i'm not entirely comfortable with the head/heart knowledge dichotomy. There is either a true beholding or no beholding, a true knowing (which involves the whole being) or a no knowing.

Does this make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back