Thesis help

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsmcd

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm struggling to grasp a thesis for my history research class. I have a lot of interest in Jonathan Edwards and the first great awakening and am currently reading Marsden's biography. Any thoughts?

If it's for history research, I've always been fascinated by the godly legacy of Edward's 11 children, many of whom went on to become prominent citizens. A paper on the combined impact of one man's theology and family upon the nascent nation could be very interesting, in my opinion.

If it's for history research, I've always been fascinated by the godly legacy of Edward's 11 children, many of whom went on to become prominent citizens. A paper on the combined impact of one man's theology and family upon the nascent nation could be very interesting, in my opinion.

This is a fantastic idea. Especially given my circumstance of just having my first child. Thanks.

Any good resource suggestions?

One of the first, if not THE first thing in research is to gather your resources--compile a bibliography.

For that, best to go to WorldCat. Your librarian can orient you, and you can also find it on the Web, though an academic version has more features.

Be sure to search the WorldCat dissertation database too.

And use various search terms, to make sure you've covered the bases.

Many of the search returns will not be useful, but that's part of research--picking through the weeds for the gems.

The other all-important thing you must do is to refine your thesis question.

One of the first, if not THE first thing in research is to gather your resources--compile a bibliography.

For that, best to go to WorldCat. Your librarian can orient you, and you can also find it on the Web, though an academic version has more features.

Be sure to search the WorldCat dissertation database too.

And use various search terms, to make sure you've covered the bases.

Many of the search returns will not be useful, but that's part of research--picking through the weeds for the gems.

The other all-important thing you must do is to refine your thesis question.

I am on WorldCat right meow.

Might this be specific/significant enough of a thesis? "As a father, Jonathan Edwards' rearing of his eleven children left a significant impact on American religion, education, and society in general."

Might this be specific/significant enough of a thesis? "As a father, Jonathan Edwards' rearing of his eleven children left a significant impact on American religion, education, and society in general."

What specifically did he teach or do that brought about change in religion, education, or society in general? Your thesis statement could make mention of that.

In 1900, historian A. E. Winship prepared a paper on Jonathan Edwards which led to a project of tracing the lineage of two men from the early 18th century. One, a Mr. Max Jukes, an ungodly man, was the patriarch of a great many wicked offspring. By contrast, Jonathan Edwards was the patriarch of a great many godly offspring. Here's the full text of Winship's paper:

http://archive.org/stream/jukesedwards15623gut/15623.txt

And here's a summary of his survey:

Jukes

310 of the 1,200 were professional paupers—more than one in four.
300 of the 1,200—one in four—died in infancy from lack of good care and good conditions.
50 women who lived lives of notorious debauchery.
400 men and women were physically wrecked early by their own wickedness.
7 were murderers.
60 were habitual thieves who spent on the average twelve years each in lawlessness.
130 criminals who were convicted more or less often of crime

Edwards

1 U.S. Vice-President (Aaron Burr)
3 U.S. Senators
3 governors
3 mayors
13 college presidents
30 judges
65 professors
80 public office holders
100 lawyers
100 missionaries, pastors and theologians

It's fascinating to think of the way God used this man and his offspring to shape the fabric of this nation.

From one of many web sites discussing the thesis statement and how it should be constructed or what it should contain:

A thesis statement:

tells the reader how you will interpret the significance of the subject matter under discussion.

is a road map for the paper; in other words, it tells the reader what to expect from the rest of the paper.

directly answers the question asked of you. A thesis is an interpretation of a question or subject, not the subject itself. The subject, or topic, of an essay might be World
War II or Moby Dick; a thesis must then offer a way to understand the war or the novel.

makes a claim that others might dispute.

is usually a single sentence near the beginning of your paper (most often, at the end of the first paragraph) that presents your argument to the reader. The rest of the paper, the body of the essay, gathers and organizes evidence that will persuade the reader of the logic of your interpretation.

[from http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/thesis-statements/]

^always cite your sources!

What specifically did he teach or do that brought about change in religion, education, or society in general? Your thesis statement could make mention of that.

To reflect this question I changed my thesis to say: "As a husband, father, and theologian, Jonathan Edwards’ rearing of his eleven children left a tremendous impact on American society in the coming centuries."

In 1900, historian A. E. Winship prepared a paper on Jonathan Edwards which led to a project of tracing the lineage of two men from the early 18th century. One, a Mr. Max Jukes, an ungodly man, was the patriarch of a great many wicked offspring. By contrast, Jonathan Edwards was the patriarch of a great many godly offspring. Here's the full text of Winship's paper:

http://archive.org/stream/jukesedwards15623gut/15623.txt

And here's a summary of his survey:

Jukes

310 of the 1,200 were professional paupers—more than one in four.
300 of the 1,200—one in four—died in infancy from lack of good care and good conditions.
50 women who lived lives of notorious debauchery.
400 men and women were physically wrecked early by their own wickedness.
7 were murderers.
60 were habitual thieves who spent on the average twelve years each in lawlessness.
130 criminals who were convicted more or less often of crime

Edwards

1 U.S. Vice-President (Aaron Burr)
3 U.S. Senators
3 governors
3 mayors
13 college presidents
30 judges
65 professors
80 public office holders
100 lawyers
100 missionaries, pastors and theologians

It's fascinating to think of the way God used this man and his offspring to shape the fabric of this nation.

I found the same paper in my research, will be using it as a reference.

To reflect this question I changed my thesis to say: "As a husband, father, and theologian, Jonathan Edwards’ rearing of his eleven children left a tremendous impact on American society in the coming centuries."

Not sure the thesis is quite specific enough (is this a graduate class? Or undergrad history course?). I don't think you would find too many people who would disagree with what you've stated. Something more specific might focus on what ways Edwards taught about rearing children (catechism, sunday school, education practices), how he raised his own, and what those children might have said about their father...grandfather...etc.

It doesn't have to be out of left field, but it should be something that you're "arguing". Reading a book like Marsden's would probably be very helpful in thinking of a more specific subject.

Does it have to be on a specific subject?
I know mine was slavery, and so I dove into colonial slavery (there was less on that than the antebellum period.) and I ran with a religion component. I studied and studied until I found something from the original sources, my own interpretation of what I was seeing.
I love history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back