THGNT vs. NA/UBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood-Bought Pilgrim

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey All,

I’m planning on starting a full Greek NT reading plan this year for the first time. I have both a Nestle-Aland and a Tyndale House Greek NT. Do any of you have input on why one might use one over the other for regular reading and study?

Obviously the NA has a more extensive apparatus, but I won’t be consulting that often. I’m also aware of the methodology used by the Tyndale editors in creating their text, so aside from that info, is there anything significant to commend one edition over the other? I’m having trouble deciding which to use primarily because there seems to be so little to distinguish them.

Any input from people with experience is welcome.

The THGNT has a much nicer layout than the NA28, so I would go with the Tyndale House. There has also been a readers edition released recently, if you find those helpful. Cambridge have the THGNT in Leather.

I use the THGNT/ESV Greek-English NT, as it has plenty of room for me to write notes (I don't use the ESV text unless I am trying to see why it uses a different variant than is in the body of the THGNT).

Other options you might want to look at include the UBS5, Zondervan's Reader's Greek New Testament, and Hendrickson's Complete Hebrew-Greek Bible (I like the layout in this one). TBS's Textual Receptus is the best priced Greek NT by far, and the updated edition has a more readable font than the previous.

I say this as a "TR guy", but having read through large sections of UBS NA TR and THGNT, unless you're aware of/looking for the differences, you won't really notice them.

That being said, a lot depends on your level of fluency in the language. A reader's edition or a diglot may prove helpful. If you're going to have most of your helps/tools open on a screen or in a book, then I recommend getting as clean of a text as you can, so you can be immersed in the text most easily without much distraction (apparatus, cross references etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back