Things that deal with Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
Christmas to celebrate Christ's birth.

Well I know that most of here would not be opposed to celebrating Christ's birth at least once a year.

As I am about to start my family in the near future, I am thinking through these small minute things, although not small.

1) What do you guys think about putting up a tree every year? As for me and my fiance, I don't think we will just simply because we are too lazy and/or don't want to waste time doing that when we could be doing something more productive.

2) What do you guys think about buying gifts for your children and or others (especially concerning giving them on Christmas)? I don't know what I think about this yet.

I have set up a poll, since many here like them.

I did not vote, because though I personally practice the third option with my family, I believe every one of the options given to be biblically lawful, and that none is preferable above another in a "should" sense. :2cents:

(I am assuming that we are strictly talking about casual contexts with family and friends, rather than a worship service.)

Christmas should involve a Christmas tree!--no

Christmas should involve presents given!--doesn't matter one way or the other to me

Christmas should be celebrated but with none of the above things involved (just celebrating Christ's birth)!--would be fine with me

Christmas should not be celebrated at all!--would also be fine with me

Personally, I'm happy just for an excuse to sit around with family over hot chocolate, eggnog, and pumpkin pie singing carols and hymns. Throw in a wood burning stove and things would be even cozier.

We as a people group have decided that Dec 25 is the date we celebrate the birth of Christ. There are problems with this, ie He most likely was not born on the 25th of Dec and other problems. Yet this is the day that we celebrate the incarnation of our God as man. I for one go all out. It is a big deal. God became man!! Lets party!! It is cause for celebration. And God likes a good party.
Has Christmas become a time of consumerism and strife? Of course, what are you stupid, anything good is made bad by this world. But in my house we keep the spirit. I dress up like Santa and vist the children of the church. Pass out candy and toys at different places. Is Santa holy? Don't be dense. It affords me the opportunty to tell about the reason Santa does what he does.
If you don't like Christmas and you are to spiritual to enjoy the season then ba humbug to ya. I for one love to celebrate the fact that He who is above all stoop down and became human. And the God I serve is one who appreciates a good time. That is just my humble opinion and if I offended you please pray for me, I am willing to be wrong. Have a very merry Christ birthday, with love Tim.

I think spending time with the family is enjoyable...grandma, uncle, two brothers, two expecting wives, and ten grandchildren under nine running around or all singing together is very enjoyable. We also go around looking at lights. No bah humbug about it. We just don't invite Nimrod into our celebration or a guy that has taken on the characteristics of God (omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence). Actually, that's how it was celebrated for over a century in our country. I never heard that there were any complaints. We exchange a few gifts as we are able to. Most that are passed around the family are homemade this year and probably will continue so in the years to come. The kids are getting scarves grandma made and Bibles. My sil will probably make cookies in a jar...and I haven't started on my things yet.

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by LadyFlynt]

Originally posted by Swampguy
We as a people group have decided that Dec 25 is the date we celebrate the birth of Christ. There are problems with this, ie He most likely was not born on the 25th of Dec and other problems. Yet this is the day that we celebrate the incarnation of our God as man. I for one go all out. It is a big deal. God became man!! Lets party!! It is cause for celebration. And God likes a good party.
Has Christmas become a time of consumerism and strife? Of course, what are you stupid, anything good is made bad by this world. But in my house we keep the spirit. I dress up like Santa and vist the children of the church. Pass out candy and toys at different places. Is Santa holy? Don't be dense. It affords me the opportunty to tell about the reason Santa does what he does.
If you don't like Christmas and you are to spiritual to enjoy the season then ba humbug to ya. I for one love to celebrate the fact that He who is above all stoop down and became human. And the God I serve is one who appreciates a good time. That is just my humble opinion and if I offended you please pray for me, I am willing to be wrong. Have a very merry Christ birthday, with love Tim.

Ah, I don't believe any of us created Christmas to be on Dec. 25th. In fact it was started by Christians in response to a pagan festival in the 4th Century. I wasn't alive then. Easter is not when He died either, especially since it switches dates every year.

I still don't know how santa can come into any part of celebrating Christ's birth.

When trees are set up and presents exchanged and carols sung and advent calendars opened and nativity scenes arranged and all of the other usual Christ-mass traditions of men are practiced in order to "celebrate Christ's birth" they are specifically religious acts whether done at church or at home or wherever. The RPW applies anywhere worship is engaged in -- whether at church or at home.

To give gifts for a birthday party for men or some other non-religious event is a practice not regulated by the Second Commandment or RPW. To give gifts "to celebrate Christ's birth" (who is both man and God) is inherently a religious act, not a "secular" act. To do anything to "celebrate Christ's birth" must involve religious worship -- if it does not it is vain, if it does then one must ask where does the Bible command this to be done in the worship of God?

Where then does one find the command to set up a tree or exchange presents "to celebrate Christ's birth"? There is no such command; therefore, it is will-worship, that is, worshipping God by means of the traditions of men, rather than by the means that God has appointed.

[Edited on 12-11-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back