Thinking too much???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonoftheday

Puritan Board Sophomore
I have mentioned the problems I have in my current church several times already on this site, so to keep this short I will just say I attend a church which is not reformed, nor calvanist, nor theology minded, nor biblicaly worldviewed.

I was teaching a class over the Glorifying God in all that we do. Using 1 Corin. 10:31, Colossians 3:17,Ephesians 5:20. and other like verses. I naturally applied these verses to every aspect of life, saying that every single thing you do should be done to the glory of God. If you stub your toe you should respond in a way that is glorifying to God. A couple of people agreed totally with me, but to my suprise one person did not. They didnt have any biblical argument or case to be made, they just said I think too much. 2 weeks later someone stubbed thier toe on the way out of the class room and i heard this person sarcastically say "Ohh.. you better Glorify God with that."

This is not the only time I have been accussed of thinking too much by members of my current church, Its something that happens often when you try to examine certain aspects of worldviews and church activities biblically people start saying your thinking too much.

How do you answer, or teach, people anything when their approach to the bible is don,t think too much?

Haha, Not to laugh at your problem, but I just had the SAME exact thing said to me tonight in email from an old friend... He said "you think to much" and also said " methinks much learning has made you mad!"

It the problem with being Reformed and analytical minded..... :p

*edit*, I should add this friend is also a Reformed Baptist and still said that to me....

Michael

I have mentioned the problems I have in my current church several times already on this site, so to keep this short I will just say I attend a church which is not reformed, nor calvanist, nor theology minded, nor biblicaly worldviewed.

I was teaching a class over the Glorifying God in all that we do. Using 1 Corin. 10:31, Colossians 3:17,Ephesians 5:20. and other like verses. I naturally applied these verses to every aspect of life, saying that every single thing you do should be done to the glory of God. If you stub your toe you should respond in a way that is glorifying to God. A couple of people agreed totally with me, but to my suprise one person did not. They didnt have any biblical argument or case to be made, they just said I think too much. 2 weeks later someone stubbed thier toe on the way out of the class room and i heard this person sarcastically say "Ohh.. you better Glorify God with that."

This is not the only time I have been accussed of thinking too much by members of my current church, Its something that happens often when you try to examine certain aspects of worldviews and church activities biblically people start saying your thinking too much.

How do you answer, or teach, people anything when their approach to the bible is don,t think too much?

I have mentioned the problems I have in my current church several times already on this site, so to keep this short I will just say I attend a church which is not reformed, nor calvanist, nor theology minded, nor biblicaly worldviewed......

Why would you continue in fellowship with this group? You, as a Reformed believer should seperate with this nonesense as a testimony against it and join yourself to a fellowship of BELEIVERS...

There is NO biblical argument for staying and trying to change it from the inside out.

I would give SERIOUS prayer to this situation

Im not staying with this Church. But I am still interested in teaching them as many of them are my friends who will still be coming to my house and such.

This is a link to a post where I was discussing my leaving, and reasons why.
http://www.puritanboard.com/f103/seeking-advice-leaving-church-family-26877/

I was unaware of the older thread, I appologize for maybe sounding "harsh".. I will Pray that the Lord will lead you into a fellowship of his choosing

People staying in fellowship with obvious error is a bit of a sore spot with me :)

I was going to include the link in the initial post but forgot to.

You didnt sound harsh to me, only advisory and caring. I should have been told 2 years ago, harshly or not, to find a different congregation. If it wasnt for my daughter and my concerns about her being taught worldly trash like Libertarian freewill and the like, then i would probably still go on trying to change the doctrine of those who say, "You think too much."

Ahh does it bother anyone else when someone who can name every single nascar driver, tell what color, sponsor and number there car is tells you "that theology stuff is just too smart for me."

Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living." While I wouldn't quite say that, according to the Scriptures already cited, we are do everything we do to God's glory. That is our chief end in life. Daily, we fall short of that duty; therefore, we have a duty to meditate, and examine our own hearts and repent of our sins. Ps. 4:

4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.

If I stub my toe and curse, that is a sin to be repented of. Or I can respond to the accident with cheerfulness as I ought. At the end of the day, I am accountable for every word I utter. Matthew 12:

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

We ought to search our hearts, daily, weekly, before the Lord's Supper, as the Psalmist (139) calls upon God to do:

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Our sins daily are more than we can numbered, but praise God that we have an advocate, Jesus Christ, whose blood covers even our secret sins.

Ahh Andrew your thinking too much. :doh:

Dont You know God just wants us all to hang out and have fun for Jesus.

Ahh does it bother anyone else when someone who can name every single nascar driver, tell what color, sponsor and number there car is tells you "that theology stuff is just too smart for me."

Only if I have to think too much.

Seriously, this is something I have said for a long time. We have people in churches who can memorize a TV schedule, remember lines from movies, sing lyrics to their favorite songs, analyze the breakdown of a 3-4 defense in football and name every single Nascar driver (as you mentioned), but can't deal with memorizing 1 verse a week of Scripture and attempting to memorize 1 catechism question a week? It drives me crazy!

People pay attention to what they care about. And if they don't care about the things of the Lord, I have a hard time believing that they belong to the Lord. I have been greatly influenced by Rich's impassioned posts about people not loving to be with other believers. It is the same when dealing with the things of the Lord. No interest in Him is an indication that they don't know Him.

Seriously, this is something I have said for a long time. We have people in churches who can memorize a TV schedule, remember lines from movies, sing lyrics to their favorite songs, analyze the breakdown of a 3-4 defense in football and name every single Nascar driver (as you mentioned), but can't deal with memorizing 1 verse a week of Scripture and attempting to memorize 1 catechism question a week? It drives me crazy!

People pay attention to what they care about. And if they don't care about the things of the Lord, I have a hard time believing that they belong to the Lord. I have been greatly influenced by Rich's impassioned posts about people not loving to be with other believers. It is the same when dealing with the things of the Lord. No interest in Him is an indication that they don't know Him.

:agree: It truly is sad to watch....

:agree: It truly is sad to watch....:banghead:

I understand your frustration. I'll spend a lot of effort in preparing for a class and then very few show up. Thankfully it's been improving lately but I do pray a lot that God would create that hunger for truth in them.

But the real question is :wwbd:
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back