Thomas Adams on the evil of engrossers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Ingrossers; that hoard up commodities, and by stopping their propagation raise the price; these are thieves. Many Block-houses in the city, monopolies in the court, garners in the country, can testify, there are now such thieves abroad: we complain of a dearth; sure the heavens are too merciful to us, that are so unmerciful one to another: scarcity comes without God’s sending: who brings it then? even the Devil and his brokers, engrossing misers.

The Common-wealth may often blow her nails, unless she sit by an engrossers fire: her limbs may be faint with hunger, unless she buy grain at an engrosses price. I confess, this is a sin, which the Law takes notice of, but not in the full nature, as theft. The pick-purse (in my opinion) doth not so much hurt, as this general robber; for they rob millions. ...

For more, see Thomas Adams on the evil of engrossers.

Timely post. I'm deeply reminded of the current housing climate for ministers and mankind in general, in comparison to afore times; people rarely inherit property anymore. I'm also reminded of the current climate and its questionable claims as to shortages, and whether they are not also taking advantage of the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back