Thomas Adams on white devils in the church

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I Am to speak of Judas, a Devil by the testimony of our Saviour: have I not chosen you twelve, and one of you is a Devil? yet so transformed into a shew of sanctimony, that he, who was a Devil in the knowledge of Christ, seemed an Angel in the deceived judgment of his fellow-Apostles. A Devil he was, black within and full of rancour, but white without, and skinned over with hypocrisy; therefore to use Luther’s word, we will call him the white Devil.

Observe, that no society hath the privilege to be free from a Judas: no, not Christ College it self: I have chosen you twelve, and behold one of you is a Devil: and this no worse man than the Steward, put in trust with the bread of the prophets. The Synod of the Pharisees, the Convent of Monks; the Consistory of Jesuits, the Councils of Bishops, the holy Chair at Rome, the sanctified parlour at Amsterdam, is not free from a Judas. ...

Thus it will be, till the great Judge with his fan shall purge his floor; till the Angels shall carry the wheat into the barn of glory. Until that day comes, some rubbish will be in the net, some goats among the sheep, some with the mark of the Beast, in the congregation of Saints; one Ismael in the family of Abraham, one without his wedding garment, at the marriage Feast; among the Disciples a Demas, among the Apostles a Judas. ...

For more, see Thomas Adams on white devils in the church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back