Thomas Brooks -- Mute Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Any thoughts on this work?

BROOKS, THOMAS. The Mute Christian under the Smarting Rod; with Sovereign Antidotes for Every Case: or, A Christian with an Olive Leaf in His Mouth, When Under the Greatest Afflictions, Trials, Troubles, and Darkest Providences; with Answers to Questions and Objections, Calculated to Promote Submission and Silence under all the Changes that may be Experienced in this World. By the Rev. Thomas Brooks, Author of Precious Remedies, Apples of Gold, &c. &c. A New Edition Corrected. With a Recommendatory Preface by the Rev. Mr. Ball, of Jewry Street Chapel. Philadelphia: Printed by William W. Woodward No. 52 Corner of Chesnut and Second Streets. 1811. 11 x 17.3cm.[ Sometime rebound in brown cloth with black leather title label, new endpapers with modern library bookplate & their "withdrawn" stamp, same libraries large oval stamp on top of title and pp. vii, p.107, 167, 231, light to medium foxing, title page soiled and re-edges in two places, scattered damp stains, 1 start. Collation: A-U6, X5, lacking final blank. Pagination: (1) title, (1) blank, [iii]-iv Ball's Recommendatory preface, [v]-vii contents, [viii]-xx author's preface, [21]-250pp. Amer. Imprints #22406. Thomas Brooks (d.1680) Independent divine, ejected for non-conformity 1662. "His works have been highly popular, on account of their spiritual tendency."--Dr. E. Williams per Allibone. "A popular, lively, and practical writer."--Bickersteth: The Christian Student. His Mute Christian was first published in 1660.

I don't have time to make a lengthy comment about the above book, but I did read the part about how one is to approach the book. I found it edifying to say the least. Yes, it is a book that deserves a reading. Perhaps it's time to give Lloyd-Jones a rest, but only after I finish his treatment of Romans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back