Thomas Chalmers on Economics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim Standard

Puritan Board Sophomore
I read recently that Thomas Chalmers was a lecturer in economics as well as in other disciplines.
Are there any republications of his lectures, or did he write any books on the topic that can be obtained easily today?
If anyone is familiar with his economic theory would you summarize please?

My first post here at Puritan Board!

I wish I could answer your question in more detail, but I remember stumbling upon this link at The Foundation for Economic Education site some months ago. Might be a great place to start: Thomas Chalmers and the Poor Laws : The Freeman : Foundation for Economic Education

From what I have read of Chalmers (his works are hard to find and expensive) he was concerned about the moral ramifications of welfarism in society and was concerned that the economy would respond negatively to a people who begin to lust after government privileges, rather than rely on the Grace of God working in his people through charities and Churches. For Chalmers, economics was tied directly to human nature and if the economy is controlled artificially (through the use of government and legislation), the people would cling to those things rather than God Himself.

C.Jay Engel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back