Thomas Chalmers on the Free Church and the establishment principle

Status
Not open for further replies.
the establishment principle

It is refreshing and instructive to see someone who doesn't read only the latter Puritans who I love but who also seemed to drift away from practical matters of the Church and civil government, etc. John Flavel was a latter Puritan that had a balance of both heart and practical (earthly) matters. I encourage you to keep it up. We need real solutions for all of life.

Thanks,

Ed

Finished reading Symington. I'm still working through practical applications, yet I feel compelled by Scripture to say that Chalmers is right in the sentiments he expresses here. Voluntaryism has been an absolute failure in the United States. Insane to think that by pushing away Him who has authority over all powers and principalities that you would achieve peaceful, fair and balanced administration of justice.

Last edited:
https://reformedcovenanter.wordpres...e-the-rights-of-god-and-national-covenanting/

Thanks Daniel, and also read this. Do you have a resource for a good timeline/account of events in the Scottish churches leading up to and following the Disruption? I’m pretty familiar now with the history up to the Revolution settlement. There’s nothing like understanding church history, and the history of the Scottish church in these times is our history if Protestant at all.

https://reformedcovenanter.wordpres...e-the-rights-of-god-and-national-covenanting/

Thanks Daniel, and also read this. Do you have a resource for a good timeline/account of events in the Scottish churches leading up to and following the Disruption? I’m pretty familiar now with the history up to the Revolution settlement. There’s nothing like understanding church history, and the history of the Scottish church in these times is our history if Protestant at all.

Remind me of this question again on Monday, please Jeri.

Jeri, there is a series of three books by Andrew L. Drummond and James Bulloch that cover the period from 1688 to 1900. I am currently reading the second of these, but the first one covers the period from the Revolution to the Disruption. I recall reading the latter chapters about 8 years ago but have not read the earlier sections, which I hope to do soon.

Jeri, there is a series of three books by Andrew L. Drummond and James Bulloch that cover the period from 1688 to 1900. I am currently reading the second of these, but the first one covers the period from the Revolution to the Disruption. I recall reading the latter chapters about 8 years ago but have not read the earlier sections, which I hope to do soon.
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much. I often think how did it take me so long to see how vital it is to know this history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back