Thomas Gouge on Christian Charity

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Thomas Gouge, Riches Increased By Giving; or, The Right Use of Mammon: Being the Surest and Safest Way of Thriving, pp. 197-200:

If we look into the Scriptures, we shall scarcely read of a truly godly man, but he was a man of charity, and according to his eminence in godliness, so in proportion was he eminent in works of mercy.

Abraham, the father of the faithful, as he was eminent in godliness, so was he eminent in hospitality, which is one of the noblest works of charity. For we read, how Abraham stood at his tent door, and no sooner saw strangers passing by, but called them in, and gave them entertainment. Gen 18:1-2.

As there was none like Job in his days for piety and godliness, of whom God himself gives this testimony, "That there was none like Job in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feared God and eschewed evil." Job 1:8. So neither was there any like Job for liberality. Note what he says of himself, "The blessing of him that was ready to perish came upon me," Job 29:13, that is, I had many good prayers and well wishes from them, whom I had relieved in their low and perishing condition; "and I caused the widow's heart to sing for joy," that is, by liberality to her in her necessity, I gave her great cause of hearty joy. And afterwards Job declares how "he had not," according to the manner of oppressive and covetous persons, "eaten his meat alone, without giving part thereof to the hungry orphans. Neither had he seen any perish for want of clothing." Job 31:17,19. Under which expressions are implied, his readiness to feed the hungry, and clothe the naked, with other acts of charity.

It is recorded to the praise and commendation of good Obadiah, that in the time of famine and persecution, he not only hid the prophets of God by fifty in a cave, from the cruelty of Jezebel, 1 Kings 18:4, but that also in that extreme dearth, there sustained them with food, and supplied their necessities.

We read of Cornelius, who, as he was a godly and devout man, so he was very charitable, for the Spirit of God gives this testimony of him, "That he was a devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, who gave much alms to the poor." Acts 10:2. He was not only charitable, but did abound in works of mercy, "giving much alms to the poor."

We likewise read of Gaius, who is recorded to be a godly, wealthy citizen of Corinth; that he did usually in his house entertain, not only the Apostle Paul, Rom 16:23, but also all Christians resorting to that city.

The Apostle Paul, who was an holy, zealous Christian, was likewise charitable; for, in his Epistle to Timothy, 2 Tim 3:10, reckoning up some of his graces, as faith, patience, longsuffering, etc. he mentions charity.

Again, we read of Zacchaeus, that though before his conversion he was a most covetous extortioner, yet, after his conversion, he gave the half of his goods to the poor; for, said he, "Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor." Luke 19:8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back