Thomas Manton on Censuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTK

Puritan Board Junior
Thomas Manton: Censuring is a trick of the devil, to take off the care from their own hearts; and therefore, to excuse indignation against their own sins, their zeal is passionate in declaiming against the sins of others. Gracious hearts reflect most upon themselves; they do not seek what to reprove in others, but what to lament in themselves. Partly because they are not so meek and gentle as true Christians. When a man is sensible of his own failings, he is very tender in reflecting upon the weaknesses of others. Manton's Complete Works, Exposition upon the Epistle of James, James 1:26 (Worthington, Pennsylvania: Maranatha Publications), Vol. 4, p. 171.

Thomas Manton: Censuring; it is an arrogation of mastership over others. All teaching, especially reproof, is an act of power, and therefore the apostle forbiddeth it to women, 1 Cor. 14:34, because they cannot have power over a man. Well, then, when you are about to censure, check it with this thought—What power hath God given me over my fallen brother? ‘Why should I judge another man’s servant? To his own master he standeth or falleth,’ Rom. 14:4. It is wrong to God to put myself in his room; it is wrong to my neighbour to arrogate a power over him which God never gave me. Manton's Complete Works, Exposition upon the Epistle of James, James 3:1 (Worthington, Pennsylvania: Maranatha Publications), Vol. 4, p. 272.

DTK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back