Thomas Manton on desiring Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... Nay, heaven itself is not really desired by wicked men; it is true, they may desire it in a carnal way, as a Turkish paradise, and such a place of ease and delight as the Koran sets forth; but not as it is in itself, to enjoy God, and Christ, and more grace, and to be more free and undisturbed in respect of the prevailing of sin and corruptions. Those that desire Christ truly, desire him not for ease (the spirit of the world may do that), but from the beauty and excellency they find in him, and in his ways. His service is of a high and honourable nature, and therefore they desire it. So that you see here is the note of trial, and the main difference, viz., a desiring of Christ for the rare beauty and perfections that are found in him. Do you, then, try yourselves by this note. ...

For more, see Thomas Manton on desiring Christ.

This is the first time I have read something from him mentioning Islam. Does he (or any other Puritan) have any focused works on the subject?

This is the first time I have read something from him mentioning Islam. Does he (or any other Puritan) have any focused works on the subject?

I cannot think of specific works on the Muslim religion, though I seem to recall a Reformer writing a book on the Turk, I do have a category of quotes on the subject of Islam.

I would further add that I have noticed over the last few years that you can scarcely read any substantial work of Reformed theology (pre-1800), other than brief tracts and sermons, that does not devote some attention to Islam.

... Nay, heaven itself is not really desired by wicked men; it is true, they may desire it in a carnal way, as a Turkish paradise, and such a place of ease and delight as the Koran sets forth; but not as it is in itself, to enjoy God, and Christ, and more grace, and to be more free and undisturbed in respect of the prevailing of sin and corruptions. Those that desire Christ truly, desire him not for ease (the spirit of the world may do that), but from the beauty and excellency they find in him, and in his ways. His service is of a high and honourable nature, and therefore they desire it. So that you see here is the note of trial, and the main difference, viz., a desiring of Christ for the rare beauty and perfections that are found in him. Do you, then, try yourselves by this note. ...

For more, see Thomas Manton on desiring Christ.
I don’t disagree with this, but are there any verses that actually validate the notion people in Hell do not want to be in Heaven or “the door to Hell is locked from the inside”?

Manton’s point about viewing Heaven as a “Turkish paradise” and not wanting to truly be with Christ is a good one... but I have a hard time reconciling this with the parable of the rich man and Lazarus or Matthew 7/Luke 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back