Thomas Manton's 190 Sermons on Psalm 119....from 1681!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian T

Puritan Board Freshman
My father-in-law is a Presbyterian pastor at a PCA church here in Cincinnati. Very recently, an elderly woman from his church passed away. Her son was cleaning out her belongings and came across this:

thumbnail_20220130_160057.jpg
He has no idea where his mother got it from, and he ended up giving it to my father-in-law.

That cover's definitely got 340 years' worth of wear on it.... but the inside is remarkably well preserved! All the pages are very readable and have held up well, as you can turn each page without them cracking, tearing, or separating from their binding (although...I still have qualms paging through this!!)

thumbnail_20220130_160040.jpg

Any antique book collectors around here? What would YOU do with this? Do something about the binding? Leave it as is?

My father-in-law is a Presbyterian pastor at a PCA church here in Cincinnati. Very recently, an elderly woman from his church passed away. Her son was cleaning out her belongings and came across this:

View attachment 8891
He has no idea where his mother got it from, and he ended up giving it to my father-in-law.

That cover's definitely got 340 years' worth of wear on it.... but the inside is remarkably well preserved! All the pages are very readable and have held up well, as you can turn each page without them cracking, tearing, or separating from their binding (although...I still have qualms paging through this!!)

View attachment 8892

Any antique book collectors around here? What would YOU do with this? Do something about the binding? Leave it as is?
Is there a museum or some kind of historical preservation society around you? I mean, you don't have to give it away ro be honest. But it would be cool to see in a Christian museum.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

This is just the kind of book that David C. Lachman books handles, though it is not as active as in its hay day. I bought my first books from David in late October 1983 (including James Durham's Treatise on Scandal which was the reason Naphtali Press was born). I can send the link to this thread to Sarah his daughter and if she has any advice she might give it. If that is okay I'll be happy to. I forget if Sarah is on the PB. If it were me and I were keeping it, maybe at least reback it and get the boards repaired. If selling, the new owner as with lots of antiques will want to handle any repairs to their liking.

I wonder if Reformation Heritage Books would be interested in it, for possible re-publishing? Are all 190 sermons in that one volume (super-tiny print)?

I wonder if Reformation Heritage Books would be interested in it, for possible re-publishing? Are all 190 sermons in that one volume (super-tiny print)?

Yep, this has all 190 sermons. This thing weighs like 10 pounds! You have to marvel at how well this has held up these 340 years, despite how beaten up the cover is. If only this book could talk...I would love to know all the places it's been all these years.

Looks like Banner of Truth published these sermons as a 3-Volume set, although it's currently out-of-print.

I recently started using Logos Bible software, and it also looks like all 190 of these sermons are part of the Thomas Manton complete works (22 volumes). I'll have to pick this up. It should be pretty interesting comparing the electronic text to the 1681 text.

Last edited:
I can send the link to this thread to Sarah his daughter and if she has any advice she might give it. If that is okay I'll be happy to. I forget if Sarah is on the PB. If it were me and I were keeping it, maybe at least reback it and get the boards repaired. If selling, the new owner as with lots of antiques will want to handle any repairs to their liking.

Feel free to do so, that would be great! Much appreciated!

Yep, this has all 190 sermons. This thing weighs like 10 pounds! You have to marvel at how well this has held up these 340 years, despite how beaten up the cover is. If only this book could talk...I would love to know all the places it's been all these years.

Looks like Banner of Truth published these sermons as a 3-Volume set, although it's currently out-of-print.

I recently started using Logos Bible software, and it also looks like all 190 of these sermons are part of the Thomas Manton complete works (22 volumes). I'll have to pick this up. It should be pretty interesting comparing the electronic text to the 1681 text.

Yes. Banner of Truth recently re-issued the 22-volume set, and the sermons on Psalm 119 are, of course, included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back