Thomas Mocket on holy days and Christ’s kingly authority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Because there is no precept, example, or approved ground in sacred Scripture for the observation of that day in honour of Christ’s birth, if any such be, let him that can shew it, and I will embrace it, and recant my error at Paul’s-crosse, or the Exchange, but it is an human invention, and a mere tradition of men, and was devised, and the religious observation of it, and other holy days were imposed and commanded merely and only by man without any ground and warrant from Christ, therefore they that will honour Christ, (as all ought to do) must not observe it or them, being without Christ’s direction.

It is an honour peculiar to Jesus Christ, to prescribe times, days and worships, and an high entrenching on his Sovereign Authority and Kingly office, to prescribe days and times, therefore what Christ our Lord and Master doth not command, or allow warrant to do, we may not do, we may not observe days or times without his appointment and warrant, but punctually (as near as we can) keep to his command, Deut. 5. 32, 33. Jerem. 7. 22 Isaiah 1. 12. Therefore Dr. Fulk speaking of the sign of crosse in baptism saith, It cannot be a memorial of Christ’s, because Christ commanded it not, and so may I say of this, and all other the like holy days.

For the reference, see:

Or, put another way, is Christ a stray dog? We don't know his true birth date, so we invent one that seems good to us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back