Thomas Scott's Commentary now viewable online

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbcbob

Puritan Board Graduate
I would like to recommend an old out of print commentary on the whole Bible. It is Thomas Scott’s Commentary on the Whole Bible.
Scott succeeded John Newton at Olney. His commentary was five large volumes and of particular worth are the “Practical Observations” that he makes for each section.

For years I have wished that some publisher would take up the cause and reprint this wonderful old set. How thrilled I was to learn that you can view the entire work online at

The Holy Bible, containing the Old and New Testaments : with original notes, practical observation, and copious marginal references

Thanks Bob. It was Scott's Bible that the Treasure of Scripture Knowledge notes were largely taken from. I was able to score a set a few years ago for $50. Every now and then one is on eBay for a lot more. Currently there's a beautiful set for around 7 or 800. I like the old bulky books. They're so.... substantial. :)

Thanks Bob. It was Scott's Bible that the Treasure of Scripture Knowledge notes were largely taken from. I was able to score a set a few years ago for $50. Every now and then one is on eBay for a lot more. Currently there's a beautiful set for around 7 or 800. I like the old bulky books. They're so.... substantial. :)

My bulky set with yellowed pages was printed in 1804! I turn the pages frequently but carefully.

Mine's much newer, 1814. :) And it's yellowed and a bit brittle as well. I showed the set to an friend and he commented that it wasn't in very good shape then proceeded to flip the front panel open on V I, separating the board. I bit my lip and simply put it away. Lesson learned. :(

i would like to recommend an old out of print commentary on the whole bible. It is thomas scott’s commentary on the whole bible.
Scott succeeded john newton at olney. His commentary was five large volumes and of particular worth are the “practical observations” that he makes for each section.

For years i have wished that some publisher would take up the cause and reprint this wonderful old set. How thrilled i was to learn that you can view the entire work online at

the holy bible, containing the old and new testaments : With original notes, practical observation, and copious marginal references

**bump**

I thought he was in the neighboring parish, and that is how he and Newton got acquainted - Newton occasionally came to visit some of Scott's people before the latter's conversion, as an unconverted minister naturally didn't take very good care of the flock.

I thought he was in the neighboring parish, and that is how he and Newton got acquainted - Newton occasionally came to visit some of Scott's people before the latter's conversion, as an unconverted minister naturally didn't take very good care of the flock.

Scott was an unconverted and very liberal Anglican minister. Through Newton's friendship and patience Scott was eventually led to saving faith in Christ. In 1781 he took over the pastorate of Olney.

:2cents:I have the 6 vol Scott Commentary printed in 1831. I got my set on ebay for 50 bucks. I have come to prefer Scott to Matthew Henry, but both of them pale in comparison to John Gill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back