Thomas Smith on the diversity of gifts among the Puritan authors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
If Owen be admitted to be, as by common consent he seems to be regarded, the ‘David’ of the Puritan host, and Howe, and Baxter, and Thomas Goodwin to be the ‘first three’ of its worthies, we believe that the second trio must include the name of David Clarkson, associated probably with those of Charnock and Sibbes, or perhaps Flavel. It is manifest, however, that such a statement is to be taken only in a very general sense. In some respects, Sibbes is as much superior to Goodwin, as in others Goodwin is superior to Sibbes; while in some most important particulars, and especially in respect of clearness and liveliness, Owen himself is unquestionably below all the seven others who have been named, and many others who might have been mentioned. ...

There are diversities of gifts; and it may not be determined whether the possession of a larger measure of one gift, and a smaller measure of another, be more or less valuable than that of a greater degree of the latter, and a less measure of the former. The clear eye of one may be as precious as the fine ear of another; the delicate touch of one as the firm standing of another; and the eye may not say to the ear, I have no need of thee, nor yet the hand to the foot, I have no need of thee. ...

For more, see Thomas Smith on the diversity of gifts among the Puritan authors.

P.S. Does anyone have a link to a portrait of the author, as I could not find one online. He was a professor at New College, Edinburgh and a moderator of the Free Church's General Assembly.

P.P.S. If you look at the photo' on the blog post, I once stayed in the building on the right with the blue door when on a research trip. It is now a backpacker's hostel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back