Thomas Watson Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Puritan Board Junior
I think Thomas Watson is one of the most quotable puritans. His works are full of catchy one-liners packed with truth. All the puritans are good at this but Watson especially excels.

From the book on Repentence I am reading now:

We are never more precious in God's eyes when we are lepers in our own. 45

Wherein has God wearied us unless his mercies have wearied us? 39

When men commit sin they are the devil's servents; when they plead for it they are the devil's attorneys, and he will give them a fee. 34

A broken heart and a broken Christ do well agree. The more bitterness we taste in sin the more sweetness we shall taste in Christ. 27

Tomorrow may be our dying day; let this be our repenting day. 8

A regenerate person abhors sin not only for the curse but for the contagion. He hates this serpent not only for its sting but for its poison. He hates sin not only for hell but as hell. 47

Here are some other great quotes from Doctrine of Repentance...

"œOrigen calls confession the vomit of the soul whereby the conscience is eased of that burden which did lie upon it. Now, when we have vomited up sin by confession we must not return to this vomit." Watson, p.32

"œA gracious soul labors to make the worst of his sins, but hypocrites make the best of them." Watson, p.33 (ouch)

Originally posted by ServantOfKing

"œOrigen calls confession the vomit of the soul whereby the conscience is eased of that burden which did lie upon it. Now, when we have vomited up sin by confession we must not return to this vomit." Watson, p.32

How vivid...and how true!

It has often been said that Watson is the most readable of the Puritans and I think he is probably one of the most pithy writers ever.

Here are a few more:

"How soon are we broken on the soft pillow of ease! Adam in paradise was overcome, when Job on the dunghill was a conqueror."

"Sin hath the devil for its father, shame for its companion, and death for its wages."

"Many a man's knowledge is a torch to light him to hell. Thou who hast knowledge of God's will, but doth not do it, wherein dost thou excel the devil, 'who transforms himself into an angel of light.'"

The Godly Man's Picture

"We have a sea of sin, and only a drop of suffering."

"The Greek word for 'patient' is a metaphor and alludes to one who stands invincibly under a burden. This is the right notion of patience, when we bear affliction invincibly without fainting or fretting."

I love Watson

Origen on the other hand is VERY Bizzare, theologically speaking. Odd to hear a puritan quoting him.

Originally posted by ServantOfKing

How vivid...and how true!

"The Greek word for 'patient' is a metaphor and alludes to one who stands invincibly under a burden. This is the right notion of patience, when we bear affliction invincibly without fainting or fretting."

I can't seem to get this one out of my mind.

The Godly Man's Picture, Chapter 4, Section 5

"Let us, then, as we would show ourselves to be godly, keep close to the rule of worship, and in the things of Jehovah go no further than we can say, 'It is written'."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back