Thompson Chain ESV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I might be late to the party here, but the Thompson Chain-Reference Bible is now available in the ESV translation. I've wondered if they would do one for the ESV. Just sayin'.

Nice. I enjoy my Thompson. I just wish it didn't have those annoying red letters, which in mine are really more like a dark pink :mad:

I might be late to the party here, but the Thompson Chain-Reference Bible is now available in the ESV translation. I've wondered if they would do one for the ESV. Just sayin'.
I just might have to look into getting this, as they normally doa nice job inbinding thei bibles!

Has it come out yet ?
Yes. It's available in the January/February, 2017 catalog for Christianbook.com (page 21), in various bindings at various prices. Although I haven't checked, it might be available at Amazon, as well.

Kirkbride, the publisher of the Thompson Chain has consistently said that they have no plans for the ESV..there is no mention of anything upcoming on their website.

Glad to see CBD get on the reformed bandwagon with a site dedicated to "us"..
I did contact Kirkbride about the Thompson Chain ESV....and they have finally decided to produce one. Not sure what hoops that had to go through with Crossway to make it happen. It will probably be later than February before the first ones are back from the bindery according to Kirkbride. They have never been quick to jump on a translation. They are still using the old NASB instead of the '95 update. The do offer a unique product but their paper quality and binding are a far cry from "back in the day".

I did contact Kirkbride about the Thompson Chain ESV....and they have finally decided to produce one. Not sure what hoops that had to go through with Crossway to make it happen. It will probably be later than February before the first ones are back from the bindery according to Kirkbride. They have never been quick to jump on a translation. They are still using the old NASB instead of the '95 update. The do offer a unique product but their paper quality and binding are a far cry from "back in the day".
"Never been quick to jump on a translation" - I wonder if it's because each of the thousands of "chains" has to be checked to make sure they conform to the specific words in each verse of a particular translation. Could be labor-intensive. Just a guess.

I have a 1993 NASB printing. The pages are barely a few microns thick, it seems. Do the newer printings have a thicker page? My eyes have troubles reading the pages sometimes due to the bleeding through of the pages.

Mine was one of the cheaper ones. Fake leather. I don't know if that makes a difference.

If the new printings have thicker pages I might pick one up. The NASB works fine other than for daily reading, but ESV is what I use for teaching and preaching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually prefer the 1979 edition of the NASB, as well as the 1984 Niv they have!

I have a 1993 NASB printing. The pages are barely a few microns thick, it seems. Do the newer printings have a thicker page? My eyes have troubles reading the pages sometimes due to the bleeding through of the pages.

Mine was one of the cheaper ones. Fake leather. I don't know if that makes a difference.

If the new printings have thicker pages I might pick one up. The NASB works fine other than for daily reading, but ESV is what I use for teaching and preaching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They used to make realy high quality Bibles, "in the day!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back