Thompson-Chain Reference Study Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
Does anyone uses the Thompson-Chain Reference Study Bible ?
Thoughts ?
Which edition is the best ?

I bought a Thompson Chain Ref way back in 1980. I found it very helpful at that period of my Christian life. I lived in the highlands of Scotland at the time on the slopes of the Monaghleagh Mountains on the west side of the Spey Valley. The church I attended was liberal and had no evening service so after Sunday lunch I would take my flask of tea, Psalter and Thompson Chain ref and go hill walking. I would pick a chain and follow it through the bible praying and meditating as I went. I learned so much about the scriptures at that time and added to the various experiences I was going through consider that period to have been one of great growth and maturity as a Christian.

At that time I think it was only available in the AV and as much as I'd have liked the leather bound edition could not afford anything more than the hardback edition. It really suited me at the time and consider it the best investment I had made up till that point. I found the graphs, charts etc very useful (but now they look so dated) and as a young Christian beginning to lead home bible studies found it a great help.

After a couple of years however I let the Thompson Chain ref go as as I found that one started to think like the Thomson publishers in that some passages may relate to a chain you are following, but because the actual word does not appear (although the concept may be present). Now I would seldom use it although I have on odd occasions gone back to John's Portrait of Christ and Isaiah's portrait of the Messiah that are contained in its pages.

I would find a good concordance is better as it is easier to scan down the list rather than go through each link of the chain. Sometimes in the Thompson chains are incomplete and it it can be hard if you want in a verse in the middle of the chain. Also there are plenty of on-line resources that were obviously unavailable back in 1980.

Like everything else, each person has their own particular needs and preferences, likes and dislikes and if the Thomson Chain Ref suits you then fine or if you find another study bible more useful then go for that one.

I have one and really like it. When I want to use a straight KJV text, it's the one that I use. The binding is excellent. I can't say enough good things about it.

I bought a Thompson Chain Ref way back in 1980. I found it very helpful at that period of my Christian life. I lived in the highlands of Scotland at the time on the slopes of the Monaghleagh Mountains on the west side of the Spey Valley. The church I attended was liberal and had no evening service so after Sunday lunch I would take my flask of tea, Psalter and Thompson Chain ref and go hill walking. I would pick a chain and follow it through the bible praying and meditating as I went. I learned so much about the scriptures at that time and added to the various experiences I was going through consider that period to have been one of great growth and maturity as a Christian.

At that time I think it was only available in the AV and as much as I'd have liked the leather bound edition could not afford anything more than the hardback edition. It really suited me at the time and consider it the best investment I had made up till that point. I found the graphs, charts etc very useful (but now they look so dated) and as a young Christian beginning to lead home bible studies found it a great help.

After a couple of years however I let the Thompson Chain ref go as as I found that one started to think like the Thomson publishers in that some passages may relate to a chain you are following, but because the actual word does not appear (although the concept may be present). Now I would seldom use it although I have on odd occasions gone back to John's Portrait of Christ and Isaiah's portrait of the Messiah that are contained in its pages.

I would find a good concordance is better as it is easier to scan down the list rather than go through each link of the chain. Sometimes in the Thompson chains are incomplete and it it can be hard if you want in a verse in the middle of the chain. Also there are plenty of on-line resources that were obviously unavailable back in 1980.

Like everything else, each person has their own particular needs and preferences, likes and dislikes and if the Thomson Chain Ref suits you then fine or if you find another study bible more useful then go for that one.

Thanks brother for your comments!

-----Added 2/1/2009 at 05:34:51 EST-----

I have one and really like it. When I want to use a straight KJV text, it's the one that I use. The binding is excellent. I can't say enough good things about it.

Do you have the Handy-size or Large Print ?
If it is the Handy-size,is it a very small print ?

I'm not sure. I've been to the Thompson web site and I can't tell. It's the fifth edition, printed in 97. I bought it at half price books years ago. Oh yeah, its leather too!

Daily, the KJV one. Been using the Thompson Chain Reference since my first one, an NIV I bought in 1992.

Quit using it for awhile a few years ago but I missed it a lot & so about 4 years ago, I bought a new one. Once you get used to having a Thompson Chain Reference, you get kind of spoiled and can't entirely let it go. At least, that's been my experience.

Margaret

I'm not sure. I've been to the Thompson web site and I can't tell. It's the fifth edition, printed in 97. I bought it at half price books years ago. Oh yeah, its leather too!

Tim with a LEATHER Bible? No! You're kidding! :lol:

Three reliable truths of the universe about our dear Grymir . . .

* The KJV is the bomb (aka "if it was good enough for Paul . . .")
* Karl Barth had a 666 tat on his posterior and probably sacrificed chickens and small animals during "worship"
* Bibles ONLY come in genuine LEATHER bindings (what's "hardback"?) just like the original autographs

DMcFadden, You know it. A hard back just don't cut it. It's got to be genuine leather!!!

This actually is because I bought 'bonded leather' during my early years as a Christian, and they would fall apart after a year or two. Now that I get Genuine Leather, they don't fall apart.

The Thompson's genuine leather is great. It's not the thin kind that passes off as genuine leather, but is thick and luxurious.

A regal binding for a regal translation.

I bought one last year, it's ok. I ordered the leather from Kirkbride but it's paper thin and feels like cardboard so I sent it back. The second one is Kirvella with sewn binding, it opens flat and feels A LOT better in the hand then the leather and it's half the price.

After a few months of using it I went back to my plain KJV.

DMcFadden, You know it. A hard back just don't cut it. It's got to be genuine leather!!!

This actually is because I bought 'bonded leather' during my early years as a Christian, and they would fall apart after a year or two. Now that I get Genuine Leather, they don't fall apart.

The Thompson's genuine leather is great. It's not the thin kind that passes off as genuine leather, but is thick and luxurious.

My mom has been using her bonded leather Thompson Chain Reference Bible for 21 years now. It's well read with lots of writing in it too :)

Just teasing, Tim. Actually in my old age, I only buy leather Bibles. My eldest gave me a 100 year old German one ("Die Heilige Schrift") for Christmas and it is still holding together despite the age.

That reminds me of the one where a guy was cleaning out his attic, found a box of old books, and gave them away to Goodwill.

When a friend asked him why, he responded, "Well they were just a bunch of old books. One of them was an old Bible, but it was in German, and it had some guy named Johannes's name on the front page."

The friend was beside himself. "Don't you know what you had? That was one of the Gutenberg Bibles. There aren't but a handful left in the world. Do you know how much that was worth?"

"Probably not much," the man replied. "Some guy named Martin had scribbled all over it."

I have used the same Thompson Chain Reference Bible for 21 years.

They are excellent, overall.

My genuine leather edition lasted 20 years before I re-bound it (with genuine leather) at probably more than the cost of a new one. At that time, I was disappointed it did not last more than 20 years, being genuine leather. However, it has gotten regular use.

I have been told the imitation (bonded) leather lasts as long but do not believe it. I would recommend making sure you get the genuine leather ($10-$20 more), not bonded leather. There is even a Moroccan Leather version which costs more and looks nice but am not sure if that would last longer than "regular" leather.

The print size is readable and there is sufficient room to add short notes in the margins.

The handy size is a perfect size and thickness but the print is too small and there is virtually no room to add your own notes. If the publishers could find a way to efficiently do the edition in handy size with the same size print, it would be perfect. The regular size is slightly large, but not too large. My edition's paper quality is very good.

The Thompson chain system is only one of several study aids in this Bible. I use the chain system infrequently, but when I do it is very helpful.

The "Thompson" is relatively influence free- you can read the text without commentary mixed in and around. It's probably best we approach God's Word that way- learn the discipline to read it alone and ask the Holy Spirit to illuminate our understanding. Use commentary as a supplement to that, if unclear or for topical study. The Thompson system is a word study, not based on the mind of the commentator.

While there are some good study aids in the back, they seem minimal (and I like that) with the exception of an extended section on biblical archaeology. The section is well written and helpful in sharing with nonbelievers.

In a year or so, I understand an ESV will be released. If I was equipping myself today I would probably get:

1)Thompson NIV or ESV when it comes out for personal, family, and public worship
2)Pitt Minion KJV without much commentary,
3)Strong's Concordance.

With that, by God's grace, you are set for a generation.

I have a few Thompson's. Get the NKJV if you want the one with all the chains completed. It is the only translation that does so. Have also used a bunch of colored pencils to colorize the numerous drawings. Color makes it so much more appealing to me.

I have a few Thompson's. Get the NKJV if you want the one with all the chains completed.

Dear brother, do you mean that the KJV not completed with all the chains references ?
Which size do you have; Regular-size, Handy-size, or Large Print ? Any size you would suggest ?

-----Added 2/3/2009 at 02:09:33 EST-----

I have used the same Thompson Chain Reference Bible for 21 years.

They are excellent, overall.

My genuine leather edition lasted 20 years before I re-bound it (with genuine leather) at probably more than the cost of a new one. At that time, I was disappointed it did not last more than 20 years, being genuine leather. However, it has gotten regular use.

I have been told the imitation (bonded) leather lasts as long but do not believe it. I would recommend making sure you get the genuine leather ($10-$20 more), not bonded leather. There is even a Moroccan Leather version which costs more and looks nice but am not sure if that would last longer than "regular" leather.

The print size is readable and there is sufficient room to add short notes in the margins.

The handy size is a perfect size and thickness but the print is too small and there is virtually no room to add your own notes. If the publishers could find a way to efficiently do the edition in handy size with the same size print, it would be perfect. The regular size is slightly large, but not too large. My edition's paper quality is very good.

The Thompson chain system is only one of several study aids in this Bible. I use the chain system infrequently, but when I do it is very helpful.

The "Thompson" is relatively influence free- you can read the text without commentary mixed in and around. It's probably best we approach God's Word that way- learn the discipline to read it alone and ask the Holy Spirit to illuminate our understanding. Use commentary as a supplement to that, if unclear or for topical study. The Thompson system is a word study, not based on the mind of the commentator.

While there are some good study aids in the back, they seem minimal (and I like that) with the exception of an extended section on biblical archaeology. The section is well written and helpful in sharing with nonbelievers.

In a year or so, I understand an ESV will be released. If I was equipping myself today I would probably get:

1)Thompson NIV or ESV when it comes out for personal, family, and public worship
2)Pitt Minion KJV without much commentary,
3)Strong's Concordance.

With that, by God's grace, you are set for a generation.

Thanks brother for your information, i really apreciatte it!

One more question:

Is the size of the lettertype the same in the handy size as in the regulare size, but that you only have more place for notes, or is the lettertype also smaller because it is a smaller size Bible ?

I hope to hear from you.

Is the size of the lettertype the same in the handy size as in the regulare size, but that you only have more place for notes, or is the lettertype also smaller because it is a smaller size Bible ?

I hope to hear from you.

The type size is smaller in the "handy" size.

I have a few Thompson's. Get the NKJV if you want the one with all the chains completed.

Dear brother, do you mean that the KJV not completed with all the chains references ?
Which size do you have; Regular-size, Handy-size, or Large Print ? Any size you would suggest ?

I have the regular print,genuine leather version. I only buy the best leather versions of any bible, so I would not recommend any other.

The preface to the NKJV versions claims that it is the only one that has all chains fully completed.

I had one, I did not use it often, the font (not the size really) but the style was hard for me to read, I DID like the overall layout.

I received one in the mail today as a gift and it is one great Bible. I have a Thompson-Chain NKJV that is going to be my primary Bible from now on.

I love mine and used it much in the States.

However, here, with high humidity, those razor-thin pages just don't cut it and the dripping sweat almost ruins the pages when I use it.

I love mine and used it much in the States.

However, here, with high humidity, those razor-thin pages just don't cut it and the dripping sweat almost ruins the pages when I use it.

Out of curiosity what bible/edition do you use then? I have the same problem when I am in humid conditions...which is rarely

I really curious why the NKJV has more pages (almost 500 pages!!) than the KJV, see:

KJV
Size Information
• Dimensions: 7.25in. x 9.75in. x 1.5in.
• Weight: 3.0 lbs.
• Font size: 8 point
• Font style: New Century Schoolbook
• Number of pages: 1931

NKJV
Size Information
• Dimensions: 7in. x 9.5in. x 1.825in.
• Weight: 3.7 lbs.
• Font size: 8 point
• Font style: New Century Schoolbook
• Number of pages: 2407

Or is it truth (as Mr. Religion wrote) that the NKJV is more completed ?

Any information, or can anyone check the preface of the NKJV version, to see if there is written that it is more completed than the KJV Any help appreciated!

The Kirkbride Publishing web site has good information about this Bible, which it publishes.http://www.kirkbride.com/thompson-about-bibles.asp

The short answer to your question is that every few years, the Thompson Chain Reference is updated. The updates usually are done one version (e.g. KJV, NKJV, NIV) at a time. The number of pages dedicated to archaeology, study helps in the back, and maps changes. I am generally aware an "original" edition of the KJV is still sought after.

Keep in mind the Thompson Chain Reference published its first edition in 1908, there have been many editions since then, and probably much fewer revisions over time of the KJV compared to a more recent translation such as the NKJV.

The chain system is time tested and you will not go wrong having this Bible as a basic version that will last you a long time.

To make your genuine leather last longer, I have been told to occasionally apply linseed oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back