Thoughts after movie Taken

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewenlin

Puritan Board Junior
I'm a little slow but I just watched the movie Taken. Was very intense, Liam Neeson played the part pretty well.

Just a thought after the movie. As I watched Neeson go to such lengths to find his daughter really reminded me how God went all the way to chase me down. So that was good.

BUT, this movie seriously disturbed me in some way. Watching all that was going on, the things they were doing to all those girls made me sick. To the point that I was hoping for Neeson to REALLY deal with those guys. The torture scene really made me smile. Strange huh.

Just that watching all those men (even though they were actors) made me feel pretty angry. If I were to think what's happening in reality at this moment, I'm sure such things are taking place. I KNOW that God will judge in the end but somehow I just don't feel that an eternity in hell is sufficient for these perps, till the point that I begin thinking of 101 ways to kill someone or the top10 most painful deaths.

As I was writing this post, I know that all sins are sins but this whole thing just screams out injustice! I wonder how God feels towards such thing (in real life) and whether thats any different with me before I became a Christian.

Anyone feel like this?

I had the same feelings. It was a great movie, but disturbing in so many ways. It really was hard to watch what was happening and know that's probably going on right now. And I was also disturbed at how much I want to see everyone responsible die...slowly...very painfully.

I thought about God's perspective, especially about forgiveness. It's so hard to imagine these things being forgiven. But you're right, I didn't really take that next step to consider: Are my sins really any different in the sight of God?

I KNOW that God will judge in the end but somehow I just don't feel that an eternity in hell is sufficient for these perps, till the point that I begin thinking of 101 ways to kill someone or the top10 most painful deaths.

Don't forget that you too would be deserving of eternal condemnation if not for the saving grace of God. It is only because Christ took upon himself the wrath of his Father towards his people's sins that his people are saved from hell.

Haven't seen the movie, but I wouldn't use it for any connection to theology, especially if it implied that "God chased us down". God doesn't chase us down or need to chase us down. ;)

Wow. I saw the movie Taken a while ago but I never really saw that way. It really makes me think now...

I mean, everything that the (fictional) people in the movie were doing was absolutely horrible and evil and I'm sure we could sit here and contemplate the worst of punishments conceivable to our feeble minds. Yet the judgment of God will undoubtedly be far worse than anything we can imagine and still Christ took upon Himself said punishment on behalf of not only one person but the multitude of His people.

I, for one, do not appreciate the grace that God has shown me nearly enough. Really makes me think...

I feel the same way...

I didn't see that movie, and, don't know if I could handle it, cruelty against children disturbs me beyond compare...Slumdog Millionaire, is an amazing film but, my heart is crushed by the thought of it, and this movie seems worse...with three daughters, I think I'll take a pass on it.

I am troubled by the effect of our culture's impact upon our emotions and discernment as followers of Christ. That we applaud Neeson's character who is a law unto himself in the furious recovery of his daughter reflects, in my opinion, the influence of our culture upon Christians rather than the reverse. Our "cause" however much a priorty with us does not cancel out respect for the sanctity of life, the deference to the weaker sex (we don't shoot them for leverage) or the overriding duty glorify Christ in all that we do.

In the fear of the Lord,
Bob

ewenlin;

As I was writing this post, I know that all sins are sins but this whole thing just screams out injustice! I wonder how God feels towards such thing (in real life) and whether thats any different with me before I became a Christian.

Anyone feel like this?

that which screams for Justice is from God.

God is Just, and thus demands Justice. I'm very thankful He is also Merciful, and patient with us.

And no, it's no different than with you or me, or any of us before we became Christians, our sins still demanded justice.

I haven't seen the movie, but I do think about these things quite often, even when I'm driving down the road and someone cuts me off, my first reaction is to scream hateful things..and then I'm reminded of how evil my heart is to even think such things..which reminds me of the verse..

It's not what goes in the mouth that defiles a man, but that which comes out of his mouth that defiles him. (paraphrased)

and it hurts to think these are things that are in my heart, that I would lash out in such a way.

I didn't see that movie, and, don't know if I could handle it, cruelty against children disturbs me beyond compare...Slumdog Millionaire, is an amazing film but, my heart is crushed by the thought of it, and this movie seems worse...with three daughters, I think I'll take a pass on it.

I'm with Trevor. There are certain things that I will not subject myself to, among them is children (especially girls) being tortured. I know they are actors, and no one was really hurt, but it doesn't matter to me. For this reason, I was greatly disturbed by the film Changeling, and although I like Clint Eastwood's directing in general (Grand Torino was excellent!), can never recommend this film to anyone.

I'm glad this thread was started, because now I know to not watch Taken. Thank you for saving me the trouble!

I am troubled by the effect of our culture's impact upon our emotions and discernment as followers of Christ. That we applaud Neeson's character who is a law unto himself in the furious recovery of his daughter reflects, in my opinion, the influence of our culture upon Christians rather than the reverse. Our "cause" however much a priorty with us does not cancel out respect for the sanctity of life, the deference to the weaker sex (we don't shoot them for leverage) or the overriding duty glorify Christ in all that we do.

In the fear of the Lord,
Bob
Never realized it that way.. thanks Elder Bob!

-----Added 5/22/2009 at 07:47:43 EST-----

even when I'm driving down the road and someone cuts me off, my first reaction is to scream hateful things..and then I'm reminded of how evil my heart is to even think such things..which reminds me of the verse..

haha you're not alone on that one brother!

I'm a little slow but I just watched the movie Taken. Was very intense, Liam Neeson played the part pretty well.

Just a thought after the movie. As I watched Neeson go to such lengths to find his daughter really reminded me how God went all the way to chase me down. So that was good.

BUT, this movie seriously disturbed me in some way. Watching all that was going on, the things they were doing to all those girls made me sick. To the point that I was hoping for Neeson to REALLY deal with those guys. The torture scene really made me smile. Strange huh.

Just that watching all those men (even though they were actors) made me feel pretty angry. If I were to think what's happening in reality at this moment, I'm sure such things are taking place. I KNOW that God will judge in the end but somehow I just don't feel that an eternity in hell is sufficient for these perps, till the point that I begin thinking of 101 ways to kill someone or the top10 most painful deaths.

Anyone feel like this?

The injustice part was obvious. I think if you look at the plot and characters more closely you will find the movie was meant to convey an even more hopeless picture of human trafficking.

First of all, the kidnapped was a girl from an upper-middle to upper class family. Second, the girl's father happened to be highly trained and sought after bodyguard with government connections in the country she was kidnapped in. Finally, her chances were not good to begin with if you put the Hollywood happy ending aside. Most children are at snatched (if not overtly bought)from parents in third world countries who have no resources to recover them.

I remember when I say it I thought, how can a man so old beat up so may people and not get tired? Also, how could he do so much killing and not get in trouble by the government of that country? I guess I am too practical.

I just saw the movie a few minutes ago and enjoyed it very much. Very intense.

Also, I did have a feeling of awe in the scene on the boat where the daughter officially realized that her father had saved her, that he had done so much to pursue her. It really does point to the work done by Christ to save us. Obviously, there are disconnects in the analogy, such as the fact that what he saved his daughter from was undeserved pain at the hands of other humans, yet to see the love the father had for his daughter was quite heart-wrenching. That part of the movie truly points towards and represents on a micro-scale God's love for His children.

Otherwise, Bob raises an interesting topic of discussion: just how much of the father's conduct in the movie was Biblically legitimate? The father knew that he could not go to the police and reasonably expect his daughter to be rescued, and he knew he was capable of rescuing her. In fact, he knew that only he was capable of rescuing her. And, I think it's safe to say that for the most part, he was upholding the sixth commandment in protecting his daughter and using the minimum force necessary to obtain her -- though he clearly went too far at a few points, such as when he left the man to be electrocuted as he exited the room. But mostly, he did what he did to obtain his daughter rather than simply out of vengeance. He had to kill many people to get his daughter, but sometimes people have to be killed. For instance, if my (hypothetical) daughter were in severe harm, I would not hesitate to kill the perpetrator if I had reason to believe it was necessary. Likewise, it was necessary that many men die in the father's quest -- though, again, he clearly did some actions out of vengeance and therefore sinned.

Irrespective of the morality of his actions, though, great movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back