Thoughts on Hiring A Pianist for Worship

Status
Not open for further replies.
The psalm singing church in Singapore basically were all first generation Christians
when it started, so the method of precenting unknown tunes was entirely new. But
it has in a short time produced quite a number of precentors. But another excellent
feature is that the children have been taught in Psalmody classes to memorise the psalms
and the tunes so that they will be able to take over in the future. DV. It's something to
consider as the congregations age.

The psalm singing church in Singapore basically were all first generation Christians
when it started, so the method of precenting unknown tunes was entirely new. But
it has in a short time produced quite a number of precentors. But another excellent
feature is that the children have been taught in Psalmody classes to memorise the psalms
and the tunes so that they will be able to take over in the future. DV. It's something to
consider as the congregations age.

Also, if families and individuals are singing the Psalms daily in their homes, the skill can be further reinforced such that the members of the congregation can sing the Word as well as they can read the Word.

One would imagine, or hope so anyway, that a person playing music to the Lord for praise would see it more as an honour and privilege than a labour worthy of being paid for! Placing it upon the same level as any other days work or labour just doesn't seem right. I don't think either that any similarity can or should be drawn between that and a Minister being paid. The Minister being paid is Biblical, I cannot find any Biblical reason for the other.

One would imagine, or hope so anyway, that a person playing music to the Lord for praise would see it more as an honour and privilege than a labour worthy of being paid for!

And if the church building needs to be painted, we need only explain to the painter that it is an honor for him to be employed in such a task and as such, we as church expect him to offer his time and talents for free.

When the church needs to be painted if the church members are not going to do it themselves (which is still quite common I think), then the painter is worthy of his hire. But unless both parties are antinomian, it doesn't happen on the Lord's day! My issue apart from the unlawfulness of it (because instruments were done away with as ceremonial per Calvin et al), is that a professional pianist does not come close to the level of "got to have it" necessity that negates the fourth commandment. Other reasonable but perhaps less pleasing alternatives exist as have already been mentioned. I guess the problem is our sensitivity to the Lord's day is so low in our day, since we have such an antinomian society, we tend to justify what we need to as far as the easiest path to take. How else to explain some churches hiring unbelieving professional musicians, etc? And why not? We wouldn't insist on the painter being a Christian?

This thread is getting silly, comparing pianists to deacons and perhaps elders with respect to work. First, I don't know how one quantifies a pianist's work if not acquainted with the specifics of the church and person. Second, they are without question qualitatively different. One is commanded by God; the other is at best a permissible circumstance (though I don't personally believe that). Paying anyone and requiring their work on the Lord's Day is a fourth commandment issue. The question is whether the Scriptures regulate the office or service by warranting pay.

Many would argue that their service to the church is equally important and yet unpaid. Why musicians get the money simply confounds me. Does the one recording the sermon and uploading it get paid? Do nursery workers get paid? Those in charge of refreshments, printing bulletins, setting up the church in the morning and evening, etc.?

And if the church building needs to be painted, we need only explain to the painter that it is an honor for him to be employed in such a task and as such, we as church expect him to offer his time and talents for free.
No, just tell him that his services are not required on Sundays. Unless you get him to paint during your service and make it a part of it I don't get how that comes into the equation?

Does the one recording the sermon and uploading it get paid?

I've been in churches that have done that. Most of the TV crew were volunteers, however.

Do nursery workers get paid?

That too, in a former church.

Those in charge of refreshments

And that.

Those in charge of refreshments, printing bulletins, setting up the church in the morning and evening, etc.?

And those as well. The reference to the printer particularly bemuses me. If the printer isn't getting paid for his time, paper, and ink, is he claiming it as a charitable contribution in kind? In which case, isn't he getting some compensation from the tax benefit? Or are we talking of running a few dozen copies on a laser printer (which at some point won't scale if the church is growing).

Not to worry about the refreshments; I hear McDonald's is offering franchises to churches.
Fourth commandment? fourth commandment be damned. I'm sorry to put such a stark face on it; but what is the difference other than scale, as to what can be justified by such arguments?
Does the one recording the sermon and uploading it get paid?

I've been in churches that have done that. Most of the TV crew were volunteers, however.

Do nursery workers get paid?

That too, in a former church.

Those in charge of refreshments

And that.

Those in charge of refreshments, printing bulletins, setting up the church in the morning and evening, etc.?

And those as well. The reference to the printer particularly bemuses me. If the printer isn't getting paid for his time, paper, and ink, is he claiming it as a charitable contribution in kind? In which case, isn't he getting some compensation from the tax benefit? Or are we talking of running a few dozen copies on a laser printer (which at some point won't scale if the church is growing).

I hear McDonald's is offering franchises to churches.

I've never seen a McDonalds in a church. I've seen several Baptist churches with Starbucks. To its credit, First Baptist Dallas dumped the Starbucks and switched to Community. Someone did suggest a Starbucks when we did our renovation a few years ago; to their credit, the elders quashed that one.

One that I haven't noticed anyone mentioning yet is paid security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back