Thoughts on Machen quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Curtis

Puritan Board Senior
In light of my interactions regarding the EPC and the WCRC, I was reminded by an EPC leader of this quote from Machen: “Roman Catholicism is perverted Christianity; naturalistic liberalism is not Christianity.” This EPC leader was saying, basically, that it is better for us to seek communion with RCs than with liberal Protestants.

I would like to know your thoughts about the quote (and how you would parse it) and whether we really are closer to the RCC than to liberal Protestants.

When Machen said that (which was pre-Vatican II), Roman Catholicism was still rather conservative itself. It had basically rejected historical-critical methodologies in biblical studies, and believed in the inerrancy of Scripture. Now, RCC is just as liberal as liberal Protestantism. RCC has always been syncretistic, of course (they would say that they have an "additive" theology). Vatican II threw open the floodgates of liberalism, whether it be biblical studies or post-modernism. Of course, when Rome anathematized the gospel at Trent, it ceased to be part of the true visible church. I would not say that either of them are Christianity.

In light of my interactions regarding the EPC and the WCRC, I was reminded by an EPC leader of this quote from Machen: “Roman Catholicism is perverted Christianity; naturalistic liberalism is not Christianity.” This EPC leader was saying, basically, that it is better for us to seek communion with RCs than with liberal Protestants.

I would like to know your thoughts about the quote (and how you would parse it) and whether we really are closer to the RCC than to liberal Protestants.
The stance of the Church of Rome on salvation makes it Apostate , and liberal Christianity would be in the same boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back