Thoughts on the Ancient Christian Commentary Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it. It is so refreshing to realize that the church did not begin in the 16th century.

Word Search has been running a special on it for $200 through 12/29.

I am reading through some volumes right now. The translations are so much superior to the Schaff editions. And the formatting is much better. The only real problems are 1) price and 2) a certain amount of arbitrariness in which passages to include. That can't be helped, but it's worth mentioning.

I've really appreciated them on many passages I've looked at. Seem to be well done, although I don't know how they decide what to include.

I've really appreciated them on many passages I've looked at. Seem to be well done, although I don't know how they decide what to include.

Guys like Chrysostom will always be included, since as a preacher he was the closest thing to a real commentator. Other distinguished fathers like Hilary and Athanasius will have a lot of exposition on certain passages of the gospels and on Proverbs 8 because those are more Christological, but will be lighter on, say, other texts. Origen will be included on almost every page, even if his theology his horrible. The Antiochian school, their Nestorian tendencies notwithstanding, will receive a lot of attention since they had a saner approach to exegesis.

Basil on Genesis and Augustine on the Psalms will get a lot of attention.

I love it. It is so refreshing to realize that the church did not begin in the 16th century.

Word Search has been running a special on it for $200 through 12/29.

I know about the special, I definitely want to get them. No if only WORDsearch offers The Reformers commentary series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back