Thoughts on the "rebuke"

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Do you like being rebuked? The rebuke is a means of grace, and something that preachers should engage in and Christians should take heed to. How often are you rebuked? When was the last time it happened? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? When was the last time you were rebuked by the preaching of the Word from the pulpit as a congregation? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

More here....
http://www.apuritansmind.com/ChristianWalk/McMahonRebuke.htm

I need rebuke but I give it more than I receive it. That is why I often contemplate what Abraham Kuyper said to one dear saint:

"I preach to myself before I preach to any other."

Thanks, Matt. Our nature chafes against this means of grace, but faithful are the wounds of a friend.

I recall a saying by John Calvin, though I can't recall the cite at the moment: "The primary purpose of preaching is to bring sinners to repentance."

Acts 20.27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

Sunday morning.

This past Sunday, my Pastor rebuked us all, basically preaching on the taking of sin lightly, it convicted me. Not just the big ones, but the sins of anger, gosip, lust, coveting, etc. It was a really good sermon. Made me understand the Grace of God all the more.

The last time? Sunday morning, 10:00am. Every sermon is a rebuke and call to repentence. I've been blessed with a good pastor. This week's rebuke was on forgiveness - when we consider how much we have been forgiven by Christ, how dare we NOT forgive others even the most grevious offenses.

Originally posted by tdowns007
This past Sunday, my Pastor rebuked us all, basically preaching on the taking of sin lightly, it convicted me. Not just the big ones, but the sins of anger, gosip, lust, coveting, etc. It was a really good sermon. Made me understand the Grace of God all the more.

I'll use Trevor's reference here....this is good --- only IF, the pastor then concludes with the Gospel - being the information that the Christian is clothed in Christ's righteousness -- even while he/she struggles with sin. For it is only the Gospel that incites the heart of the believer to attain to ever higher levels of sanctification...not the Law. (Frequently, sermons/messages emphasize the "to do" list without the Gospel. --- I'm not saying Trevor's pastor did this...it's just a heads-up on this.)

Also....Matt, you are correct to admonish for the need of brave pastors to speak the hard rebuke; the need of mature Christians to know what Scripture says about our attitudes --- willing to receive rebuke and kneeling to the authority of the Church and the Word of God. (There are so few pastors/churches that adhere to this also.)

Yet --- I would desire to emphasize the Gospel - especially in the context of rebuke....

:2cents:

Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back