Three new books available. Perkins, Brownlow North, Dort and Heidegger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
William Perkins: Architect of Puritanism. Edited by Joel R. Beeke & Greg Salazar.

"Once a highly influential preacher in the Elizabethan Church and the international Reformed world, William Perkins (1558–1602) has become a rather surprisingly neglected figure in the history of the church. In this book, Joel Beeke, Sinclair Ferguson, Greg Salazar, Geoff Thomas, and Stephen Yuille seek to recover the importance of Perkins by situating his life, priorities, ministry challenges, and influence within their original seventeenth-century context. They help readers “to peer behind the veil” to see the real Perkins as he contended for the faith and attempted to shepherd God’s people in the midst of profound challenges. In this way, this volume will be both a reservoir of theological and practical truth and will foster a greater experiential knowledge of and love for the great God who William Perkins proclaimed and served.

Contents:

1. Preface—Joel R. Beeke and Greg Salazar

2. Life and Ministry—Sinclair B. Ferguson

3. Pursuit of Godliness—Geoffrey Thomas

4. The Greatest Case of Conscience—Joel R. Beeke

5. The Wholesome Doctrine of Faith and Love—Stephen Yuille

6. The Primacy of Scripture, Preaching, and Piety—Greg Salazar

7. Conclusion-- Joel R. Beeke and Greg Salazar"

http://bit.ly/PerkinsArchitect

Brownlow North: The All-Around Evangelist. Geoffrey Thomas.

"Brownlow North is a crucially important figure—recent enough to be accessible and relevant to today’s world yet representing a healthier time for the church. He was the model all-around evangelist, the archetypal definition of a New Testament preacher, the living embodiment of a man who has the conviction, “Woe is unto me if I preach not the gospel.” His life displays what an infamous sinner can become when he has been transformed by being joined to Jesus Christ by faith through the grace of God. Knowing the terrors of the Lord, he beseeched men to turn and repent. He was a wise and courageous proclaimer, a humble interceder, a pastoral counselor, a churchman, a letter writer, an author, a theologian, and a redeemer of time."

More on North: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownlow_North_(evangelist)

http://bit.ly/ThomasNorth

A Faith Worth Defending: The Synod of Dort's Enduring Heritage. Edited by Jon D. Payne and Sebastian Heck.

Contributors include: Michael Horton, W. Robert Godfrey, Jon D. Payne, Sebastian Heck, Christopher Gordon, Lyle Bierma, Kevin J. Bidwell, Joel Beeke, Daniel R. Hyde, Cornelis Venema, and J.V. Fesko

Contents:

• Preserving the Reformation: A Historical Portrait of the Synod of Dort — W. Robert Godfrey
    • What’s the Difference? A Historical and Theological Comparison of the Three Forms of Unity — Lyle D. Bierma
    • The English Delegation to the Synod of Dort — Kevin J. Bidwell
    • The Everlasting Love of God: Election and Predestination — J. V. Fesko
    • Dead in Sin: The Utter Depravity of Mankind — Christopher J. Gordon
    • The Promise of the Gospel: Redemption in Christ — Michael Horton
    • The Irresistible Spirit: The Work of the Holy Spirit in the Canons of Dort — Sebastian Heck
    • The Preservation and Perseverance of the Saints — Danny Hyde
    • Comfort and Assurance: The Pastoral Implications of Dort — Joel R. Beeke and Ray B. Lanning
    • Preaching the Doctrines of Dort — Cornelis P. Venema
    • Proclaiming Joyful Tidings: Dort, Evangelism, and the Sovereignty of God — Jon D. Payne
http://bit.ly/DefendingFaith

I should also mention that we have a new translation of Johann Heinrich Heidegger's Concise Marrow of Theology on the way as well.

Concise Marrow of Theology - Classic Reformed Theology Series (Heidegger)

"Heidegger’s Concise Marrow of Christian Theology is the smallest piece of a threefold theological curriculum. It is an abridgement of Heidegger’s Medulla Theologiae Christianae (The Marrow of Christian Theology), which in turn is a stepping-stone to his more advanced dogmatic system, Corpus Theologiae Christianae (The Substance of Christian Theology).

Casey Carmichael’s translation and Ryan Glomsrud’s historical introduction make a significant contribution to historical studies of Reformed Scholasticism. It acquaints English readers with a significant, though largely forgotten theologian and his efforts to secure a solid program for advancing in systematic theology. Concise Marrow displays the elementary points of all the main topics of dogma, forming a theological primer for beginners. It is characterized by succinct definitions and ample biblical support, apt for setting a good foundation and starting point for deeper theological reflection."

http://bit.ly/HeidMarrow

Edited to add another unique release we have coming next month:

God, Creation, and Human Rebellion: Lecture Notes of Archibald Alexander from the Hand of Charles Hodge (Alexander)

This book contains notes written by Charles Hodge from Archibald Alexander's lectures in prolegomena, the doctrine of God, and the doctrine of man, printed for the first time. A fascinating read!

Contents:

Foreword
Introduction

• Philosophy of the Mind
    • Theology
    • Revealed Theology & Prophecy
    • Inspiration
    • Attributes
    • Trinity
    • Decrees
    • Predestination
    • Election
    • Reprobation
    • Creation
    • Providence
    • Angels
    • The Covenant of Nature or of Works
    • Seals of the Covenant
    • Sin
    • On the Will

Scripture Index

Subject Index

Transcribed by Charles Hodge

Edited by Travis Fentiman

Introduced by James Garretson
http://bit.ly/AlexanderHodge

Last edited:
Concise Marrow of Theology - Classic Reformed Theology Series (Heidegger)

"Heidegger’s Concise Marrow of Christian Theology is the smallest piece of a threefold theological curriculum. It is an abridgement of Heidegger’s Medulla Theologiae Christianae (The Marrow of Christian Theology), which in turn is a stepping-stone to his more advanced dogmatic system, Corpus Theologiae Christianae (The Substance of Christian Theology).

Casey Carmichael’s translation and Ryan Glomsrud’s historical introduction make a significant contribution to historical studies of Reformed Scholasticism. It acquaints English readers with a significant, though largely forgotten theologian and his efforts to secure a solid program for advancing in systematic theology. Concise Marrow displays the elementary points of all the main topics of dogma, forming a theological primer for beginners. It is characterized by succinct definitions and ample biblical support, apt for setting a good foundation and starting point for deeper theological reflection."

http://bit.ly/HeidMarrow

This news is the best of all your announcements. Seeing this material getting translated and published is a real answer to prayer.

This news is the best of all your announcements. Seeing this material getting translated and published is a real answer to prayer.

I agree. It is my prayers that this will inspire a translation of Heidegger's more substantial theological works. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to post a sample of Heidegger on here.
We have a lot of exciting projects underway. I've been giddy waiting to announce them on here. @bookslover beat me to announcing Anthony Burgess' massive tome on John 17. Here is another unique release we have coming next month:

God, Creation, and Human Rebellion: Lecture Notes of Archibald Alexander from the Hand of Charles Hodge (Alexander)

I am having an issue attaching it due to file size. Bob, I will e-mail it to you shortly. Anyone else interested, DM me your e-mail.

I agree. It is my prayers that this will inspire a translation of Heidegger's more substantial theological works. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to post a sample of Heidegger on here.
We have a lot of exciting projects underway. I've been giddy waiting to announce them on here. @bookslover beat me to announcing Anthony Burgess' massive tome on John 17. Here is another unique release we have coming next month:

Do you know when the Burgess book on John 17 will be out?

Do you know when the Burgess book on John 17 will be out?

It is on the calendar for March 2020. That could easily change. We are trying to crank out the rest of Perkins works by next year on top of our other publications. We would appreciate prayers and patience. A lot of big projects are underway.

It is on the calendar for March 2020. That could easily change. We are trying to crank out the rest of Perkins works by next year on top of our other publications. We would appreciate prayers and patience. A lot of big projects are underway.

Thanks, Robert. Looking forward to it.

Thank you again brother. That is very good, certainly a book to keep your Bible open next to, a lot of Scripture references.

Added to the cart :book2:
Speaking of a lot of Scripture references, I remember the first time I went through John Brown's Systematic Theology. There are over 26,000 Scripture references in that little volume! It is quite amazing. John Brown undoubtedly knew his Bible. Here is s small example:

"All the providential dispensations of God towards ourselves or our fellow-creatures ought to be carefully observed, Psal. 107:43; Hos. 14:9; Psalm 111:2; 143:5; 145:5, 7; 77:5, 10, 11; Isa. 5:12; 63:7. 1. How they are timed with the frame of our spirit, Psalm 126:1; or with our circumstances, Psalm 94:18; Job 20:23; 29:18. 2. How they begin, Psalm 130:6; Luke 1:66; go forward, Luke 2:19, 51; Hos. 6:3; turn about, Zech. 14:7; Gen. 14; Esther 6:3, 4; Gen. 21:17."

IX. His Deity

The names, attributes, works, and divine worship of the Son confirm His deity, being of the same essence (ouoovoia) with the Father. The names confirm His deity because “the Messenger" is called Jehovah (יהוה), the very “face” of God, distinct from the Father who sends (Ex. 3:2, 4, 7, 23:20), “a righteous sprout, Jehovah of our righteousness” (Jer. 23:5–6), “Jehovah Redeemer” (Isa. 50:1-2, etc.). He is also called God (kos) sometimes (John 1:1; Acts 20:28), indeed "God blessed over all throughout the ages” (Rom. 9:5), “great God and Savior" (Titus 2:13), “true God” (1 John 5:20), Lord (kópios)—that is, Jehovah (John 6:68; 1 Cor. 8:6; 1 Cor. 15:47)—and the Word (Nóyos) (John 1:1; 1 John 1:1, Rev. 1:2; 19:13). He bears these names on account of eternal generation from the Father, unity with His essence and will, the eternal decree and its execution in Him, and finally the testimony of the whole of Scripture concerning Him. He is of the same essence (ouoovoia) as the Father because the following are attributed to Him: “life of God” (John 5:26), “the form of God” (Phil. 2:6), "equality with God "the Father” (John 5:18), and “unity with the same (John 10:30). The divine attributes confirm His deity because He is simple, indeed Jehovah, having the “Spirit of holiness” (Rom. 1:4) and eternal, indeed, “not having beginning of life and days” (Heb. 7:3), having the “eternal Spirit” (Heb. 9:14), “coming forth from ancient days” (Mic. 5:2), and “existing before Abraham existed” (John 8:58). This is also the case because He is immense and omnipresent. For “descending from heaven, He is” also “in heaven” (John 3:13) and “is with us until the end of the age” (Matt. 28:20). He is also omniscient because He is the “Wisdom” of God (Prov. 8:1, etc.), “exudes the fear of the Lord” (Isa. 11:3), knowing what is in man” (John 2:25), indeed "all things” (John 21:17). He is also the Holy One and Sanctifier of Israel everywhere. More over, He is omnipotent because “He does similarly (ouoios) as the Father” (John 5:19) and is distinguished as Almighty (Tavtokpátop) (Rev. 1:8). The divine works of creation, providence, and redemption are added. For He is Creator because “all things were made by Him, and nothing was made without Him, and the world was made through Him” (John 1:3, 10). “In Him all things were established in heaven and on earth, both visible and invisible” (Col. 1:16). Then the works of divine providence, miracles, are attributed to Him because He accomplished many miracles by His own power (idio duváuki) (Acts 3:12) and bestowed the power of accomplishing them to others (Acts 3:6). He is also Redeemer. “He will be called Vindicator, Redeemer, your Holy One of Israel, the God of the whole earth” (Isa. 54:5). Finally, divine honor is also attributed to Him. For the Father “seeks” His “glory” (John 8:50) “and gave to Him the name that is above every name, so that in His name every knee will bow” (Phil. 2:9-10). For He is God of the whole earth and King (Ps. 2:8; 45:2) whom the angels worship” (Heb. 1:6) and all the godly “kiss” and “trust” (Ps. 2:12) and “honor as they honor the Father” (John 5:23).'

The PDF was locked so I had to work around that and the Greek did not copy properly, looks as it should in the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back