Tim Gallant

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimV

Puritanboard Botanist
Some of the men of my Bible study want to study paedocommunion, with two believing in it and wanting to convince the others. They want to go through a book by Tim Gallant.

Are any of you familiar with the book or the author? Any information would be appreciated.

Also, were there any Reformed traditions, even less well know churches, like Hungarian, Lithuanian or any other group that have ever practiced paedocommunion?

Thirdly, it was alleged that until the 7th century, the church practiced paedocommunion overwhelmingly. I don't need a source (although one would be nice) but any distillation of reading on the matter would be helpful.

Thanks much
Tim

Tim Gallant's book was reviewed and he interacted with the reviews in The Confessional Presbyterian. These may be useful to go along with the book; as also would be Matthew Winzer's True History of Paedocommunion which appeared in the journal as well; as follows:

• Coppes, Leonard J. Review: Tim Gallant, Feed My Lambs. CPJ volume 2 (2006).
  • Gallant, Tim. Review: A Response to Leonard Coppes Regarding Feed My Lambs. volume 2.
  • Gallant, Tim. Review: Response [to Cornelis P. Venema, A Response to the Coppes-Gallant Exchange Regarding Paedocommunion]. volume 3 (2007).
  • Venema, Cornelis P. Review: A Response to the Coppes-Gallant Exchange Regarding Paedocommunion. volume 3.
  • Winzer, Matthew. The True History of Paedo-Communion. volume 3.

You should definitely read Matthew Winzer's article on "The True History of Paedocommunion". It was in one of the CPJ issues (see NaphtaliPress, Chris Coldwell). P-C was never the "historic practice" of the church.

And it's not "Reformed", if the confessions of the church are going to define it. In fact, it is pretty clearly contra-Westminster-Confessional. I do not know of any "little" churches or little known churches following this practice.

I've heard of Gallant's book. It's just one modern treatment of P-C, and it has been persuasive to some, just like most guys who sell innovation. Does he handle the texts and the objections to that interpretation better than others? That's for the reader to judge.

Personally, I would not want to encourage the "study" of P-C in an OPC church, with the obvious intent to try to persuade people in favor of it. Gallant, or the Standards? I'll take the latter, and tell the P-C proponents to follow the BCO procedure if they want to try to change the church's doctrine to something they think is more biblical.

Last edited:
Are any of you familiar with the book or the author? Any information would be appreciated.

Hi Tim,

He was a member of a URCNA and student at Mid-America Reformed Seminary. When he was examined for candidacy he mentioned his belief in paedo-communion, which brought his exam to an end. That led to the Classis to rule that it was outside the bounds of the confessions. This led to an appeal to our Synod '04, which upheld the Classis.

Tim then went to a CRC in Montana, but now is in the CRE in Grand Prairie.

Last edited:
Thanks to all. The people aren't members of the OPC, but other Reformed denominations. It's a decade long Bible study I've been involved with, with some who have been leaning towards the FV.

P-C is an area that I haven't studied, and it's one of those deals where someone will say something that you instinctively know is wrong, but you don't want to sound like an idiot arguing without knowledge.

I'll get that article by Winzer as soon as I can find out where to order it.

Thanks again!

Tim:

I have read Tim's book and was very disappointed (though I was not seeking to be convinced of paedo-communion). Basically what it boils down to is a Federal Vision view of the covenant of grace which is not helpful nor orthodox Reformed. Take that view and paedo-communion follows. Ignore or reject that view and paedo-communion does not follow.

In particular his misreading of Belgic Confession Article 35 is atrocious (with regard to regeneration and participation).

But if you want to read and study a modern defense of paedo-communion by all means go ahead. Just be prepared for all the baggage that goes along with it.

With the other brothers I know of no Reformed theologian of note that has advocated paedo-communion except for some modern voices. I think it is most instructive that both modern Presbyterian & Reformed communions have rejected it on the basis of the confessions and that many advocates of the view (though not all) are honest enough to state that the confessions need to be updated to include it or they must make an exception to the relevant statements in the confession(s).

Just as an aside, I think it should be mentioned that a belief in PaedoCommunion does not mean one is automatically FV.

Rushdoony comes to mind.

Very nice, thanks in particular for the heads up on BC 35.

There are actually a few OPC people, and PCA and some others. Of course I knew it would boil down to the Federal Vision, as there's an influential guy there who's been pushing it for some time, and influencing many people. I feel it's time to bring it into the light of day, though, and just want to be armed and prepared. One point made was that anti P-C sentiment is an American cultural character deficiency, and not shared by other Reformed traditions. The study is set to start next Tuesday, and I've written the group

I've been in contact with several scholars about paedocommunion, and have ordered a book that was highly recommended, which I look forward to reading. It's an interesting subject. As to some of the points brought up last night, there is no evidence for paedocommunion in the first two centuries in the church. As to any churches in the Reformed tradition, there have been no denominations (historically) who have held to this theory anywhere in the world. The traditional Reformed position is expressed by Calvin, who wrote:

After defending himself from opponents who accused him of inconsistency by administering baptism to children while denying them communion, Calvin says "If these men had a particle of sound brain left, would they be blind to a thing so clear and obvious?". John Calvin,Institutes of the Christian Religion, trans. Ford Lewis Battles, 2 vols. (Philadelphia: The Westminster Press, 1960), 2:1353.

Again, I have no objections to studying the subject, and indeed think it could be useful. I would only insist that it be done responsibly, with proper research. It should also be noted that none of the churches any of us go to allow the practice. The PCA position paper on paedocommunion is found here
http://www.pcahistory.org/pca/2-498.doc

Paedocommunion is a violation of Q177 of the Westminster Confession of Faith, so to find proponents of the practice you will have to leave the Reformed tradition. Certainly the OPC, ARPC, URCNA etc... would never allow Tim Gallant to teach in capacity, which is why he is marginalized to going to a small denomination that I'd never even heard of until I started looking into the subject.

As Reformed folk, we're so few and far between in this area of California that small numbers of people can be hugely influential in spreading this sort of thing, so I'm especially grateful to those of you who have helped on this thread.

Tim:

When you wrote that you've "been in contact with several scholars about paedocommunion" I certainly hope that I was not included in the list of scholars (whether in writing or in your mind). Otherwise I am certain that you are guilty of bearing false witness.

HA!

I wrote it this morning, but I'd still include you whether you like it or not.

I've now been told that PC in the OPC is allowed "as they have an accepted minority position". Is that true?

edit: I see from the official OPC site

You are correct that the OPC position does not favor paedocommunion. The official position of the OPC is contained in our doctrinal Standards. Larger Catechism #177 says in part: "... the Lord's Supper is to be administered ... only to such as are of years and ability to examine themselves."

Tim,
I can tell you that if a man took an exception to the Standards at that point, I do not know that a Presbytery would pass him.

It is true that there are a couple men I know of in the OPC who favor that position. One is a "venerable father," another is a young man of talent. In the latter case, the man was already in the OPC, and he came to hold that position and informed his Presbytery about his change of mind. And they determined to retain the man, despite this new contra-confessional view.

But I also know how presbyters were talking about the issue. And one who said that it was one thing to accept a man who's views have changed, it would be something entirely different if either this man as a new pastor was trying to take a first call in that Presbytery.

So, let me just say again that I think an admitted p-c man would have a hard time getting into most OPC Presbyteries today, regardless of how many other men with similar view there were across the church. And of course, not admitting his variance would be a disciplinary offense, if it came to light later on that he hid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back