Tips for good door stewardship/ushering

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgwolv

Puritan Board Freshman
My portfolio as deacon is Worship Facilities. I maintain the roster for the door stewards, Communion servants, and public readers of Scripture.

As the door stewards have changed considerably over the last year or two, I plan on holding an information session soon, just to emphasise the importance of the role and to highlight certain things that they should do and about which they should be vigilant.

Any input would be appreciated, especially from personal experience. I particularly want to make sure that we make first-time visitors feel the love of Christ, striking the balance between being warm and welcoming and not being overbearing.

Brother PG,

My church just sent us ushers a few words of encouragement and exhortation. I will share them with you.

First, provide ushers with the theological basis for ushering (Giftedness: 1 Peter 4:10-11; Service: Philippians 2:1-5,
Hospitality: Romans 12:10-16​
etc.)

A few practical encouragements…

Study the weekly prayer guide. This will familiarize you with the needs of the saints and promote edifying conversation.

Take security seriously. As an usher, while the congregation is gathered inside the facilities, you are the men who stand between them and any potential danger that may present itself. Whether it is relaying a concern to a deacon or confronting an unknown issue personally, ushers play an important role in the protection of those who gather to worship.

In regards to visitors, familiarize yourself with the bulletin. They may have questions about the church or any special events happening during the Lord’s Day or during the week. Invite them to any of the church events they may be interested in. Follow up with them after the service, ask them how they enjoyed worship, and try to introduce them to a pastor.

Hope this helps!

Train ushers to be prepared to break from their norm when they meet a visitor at the door. Merely pointing visitors where to go (because you don't want to leave your post) is perfunctory. But walking with visitors to where they need to be, and making sure they have all they need to feel at home, is welcoming. Take some time with them if you sense they would appreciate that. Show them where the washrooms are. Walk them to the nursery if they have a little one who needs that, and introduce them to the attendants there. Offer to sit with them in the service, or seat them with your family, or personally introduce them to the folks they are seated beside. Then check in with them again after the service, having remembered their names.

Yeah, I know, some people are introverts who prefer to slip into a service without being noticed. But friendliness is appreciated even by people who think they want to avoid others. For first-time visitors to a church, there is nothing so welcoming as to have the first person they meet treat them like a guest in their home for the rest of the morning. Of course, this requires having multiple people on duty so that one (or more) can wander attending to visitors, if needed, and an expectation that this will happen when visitors arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back