Tithe in effect today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ww

Puritan Board Senior
So today the message was about the fact that the Tithe is no longer in effect today as it was part of the Old Covenant but today in the New Covenant the principle of Giving is a personal decision that for some may mean 90% for others 50% as ALL of our money belongs to God. Is this an accurate view of the Tithe in your assessment?

In in the interest of full disclosure it is mine but want to hear arguments for those who may hold to the fact that the Tithe 10% is binding on Christians today.

No that would be theonomic. Israel is dead!! General Equity rules.

And they had several tithes to plus they had jubilees and had to give back all kinds of increase etc.

So whoever would think 10% is all that God would require....

The widow gave all she had. 100% of what was left after eating that day and God did not say she was foolish not to save up for tomorrow since she had little to no means possibly.

My struggle is not how much to give to God but how much should I keep for myself and be responsible.

But God took that one away form me for a few years now, had the IRS come take it all due to an accountant and lawyer mistake.

So now I tithe to the IRS :)

and may have to give less than 10% to God for a while. So there is no rule, just the GE example to us.

Some try to argue it on the basisi that Abraham tithed before the law. So thus the tithe was in existence pre law. However Abraham, it seems, only tithed once. hmmm

There is no New Testament teaching on tithe whatsoever. It is simply not there. The 'tithe' in today's context makes it easy for the rich to give and hard for the poor. The N.T teaches that everything we have is the Lords and that we are to hold on to the things of this world lightly. We are to be generous and kind and meet needs as led by the Spirit and as providence would give occasion for.

So today the message was about the fact that the Tithe is no longer in effect today as it was part of the Old Covenant but today in the New Covenant the principle of Giving is a personal decision that for some may mean 90% for others 50% as ALL of our money belongs to God. Is this an accurate view of the Tithe in your assessment?

In in the interest of full disclosure it is mine but want to hear arguments for those who may hold to the fact that the Tithe 10% is binding on Christians today.

This sounds basically correct- the Old Testament (Levitical) tithe system is not applicable to us but the offering/giving principle is. Also the principles of testifying to God's ownership of everything.

A reasonable principle we can draw is that 10% is a "beginning point" (not ending point).

Westminster Confession of Faith
Chapter XIX
Of the Law of God

III. Besides this law, commonly called moral, God was pleased to give to the people of Israel, as a church under age, ceremonial laws, containing several typical ordinances, partly of worship, prefiguring Christ, His graces, actions, sufferings, and benefits;[4] and partly, holding forth divers instructions of moral duties.[5] All which ceremonial laws are now abrogated, under the New Testament.[6]

IV. To them also, as a body politic, He gave sundry judicial laws, which expired together with the State of that people; not obliging under any now, further than the general equity thereof may require.[7]

The 'tithe' in today's context makes it easy for the rich to give and hard for the poor.

Except the fly in your ointment is that there is a proven link between the degree of one's wealth and the percentage given. Studies have shown over and over that "poor" people give more than wealthy people.

While the NT does not specifically teach tithing, we do have the commendation from our Lord to the scribes and pharisees, "You tithe your mint and cummin. This you OUGHT to have done."

If it is something they ought to have done, according to Christ, isn't that an endorsement of it?

While the NT does not specifically teach tithing, we do have the commendation from our Lord to the scribes and pharisees, "You tithe your mint and cummin. This you OUGHT to have done."

If it is something they ought to have done, according to Christ, isn't that an endorsement of it?

He's also talking about tithing spices...

I thought the point that he was making was that they tithed on every thing including small things.

CT

Please read the OP before replying. The question is: is this and accurate view of the the Tithe? Replies are requested from those who hold to the Tithe today.

This will not be a debate. If you want to debate the Tithe, start your own thread.

Wouldn't the spices though have been precious commodities and therefore represent their income or wealth? So Jesus is commending tithing.

Wouldn't the spices though have been precious commodities and therefore represent their income or wealth? So Jesus is commending tithing.

I think we cross-posted. Please read my post above.

Please read the OP before replying. The question is: is this and accurate view of the the Tithe? Replies are requested from those who hold to the Tithe today.

This will not be a debate. If you want to debate the Tithe, start your own thread.

Wasn't he asking for thoughts on a view that the tithe is no longer in effect?

Doesn't the question naturally lead to discussion on whether the tithe is still valid?

Doesn't the question naturally lead to discussion on whether the tithe is still valid?

No.

The tithe is simply God's tax. We breathe his air, we eat his food from his land and his beasts of the field and his fowls of the air. 10% is the least of what we owe Him.

No.

I don't want to be contentious but I am honestly confused.

The OP started with "So today the message was about the fact that the Tithe is no longer in effect today..."

Then he asked "Is this an accurate view of the tithe?"

Isn't he asking for people's views on whether it is true that the tithe is no longer in effect today?

-----Added 3/30/2009 at 10:49:17 EST-----

Oh... I finally get it. Should read more carefully next time.

Sorry, it was my mistake...

This is definitely a matter in which you should follow your conscience and the instruction of your elders. I have heard many say that at one time they tithed, but did so out of a sense of guilt. I am certainly not in favor of that.

It is hard for me to answer because I don't know exactly what you mean by 'Old Covenant'. Do you mean the Mosaic Covenant? There was a law in the Mosaic Covenant concerning the tithe. However, tithing as an act of worship predates the Mosaic covenant. (Abraham tithed to Melchizedek in Gen 14:20)

There are arguments that tithing as an act of worship is approved of by Jesus (in the example in the earlier post) and by Paul in 1 Cor 9:13,14:
Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live [of the things] of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

The priests and Levites of the MC made a living off of the tithes of the people. Paul says 'even so' hath the Lord ordained that gospel preachers should make a living.

So those who still tithe today might not do so because they are following Mosaic Law.

Also, the tithe of the MC was considered to already belong to the Lord and, therefore, not the same thing as 'giving'.

Lev 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, [whether] of the seed of the land, [or] of the fruit of the tree, [is] the LORD'S: [it is] holy unto the LORD.

Tithing was returning to God what already belonged to Him. Therefore, tithers don't necessarily look at NT principles on 'giving' as having any bearing on 'tithing'. In other words,, tithers not only tithe, but give above and beyond the tithe according to the NT commands.

In regards to the argument that today %100 belongs to the Lord, was not that also true in the MC? Yet they were required to tithe.

The last thing I will say is this: Let us assume that the tithe is only a ceremonial or judicial law of the MC. Does that mean that people should NOT tithe? If so, then everyone better keep track of their giving and make sure that it never equals 10%!

But take my words with the appropriate salt because I am not your Pastor.

There are a couple of pre-Mosaic examples of the tithe--Both Jacob and Abraham gave a tenth to the Lord. In fact, Jacob vowed to give a tenth of all he received. (Genesis 28.22)

I believe God requires the tithe, for the reasons that have been stated above. Although Christ had little commendation for the Scribes and Pharisees, He did commend their tithing. Also, the parallel that is drawn between the Levitical Priests, who lived from the tithe, and those who "Teach in Israel" today, that is, Gospel ministers. I do believe that this is their right as ministers, but that this right can be set aside for particular circumstances.

For the opposing view, see Thomas Peck on tithing. He believes it was ceremonial, and minimizes the tithing of Abraham and Jacob. That however is not my view. I believe, as Rev. Winzer has posted, that the Lord owns it all! Just as He owns every day, yet He sets aside one day as *explicitly* His, so also in the tithe, in giving the "first 10th" we confess He owns it all, and therefore ought to take care how the rest is used.

There are a couple of pre-Mosaic examples of the tithe--Both Jacob and Abraham gave a tenth to the Lord. In fact, Jacob vowed to give a tenth of all he received. (Genesis 28.22)

I believe God requires the tithe, for the reasons that have been stated above. Although Christ had little commendation for the Scribes and Pharisees, He did commend their tithing. Also, the parallel that is drawn between the Levitical Priests, who lived from the tithe, and those who "Teach in Israel" today, that is, Gospel ministers. I do believe that this is their right as ministers, but that this right can be set aside for particular circumstances.

For the opposing view, see Thomas Peck on tithing. He believes it was ceremonial, and minimizes the tithing of Abraham and Jacob. That however is not my view. I believe, as Rev. Winzer has posted, that the Lord owns it all! Just as He owns every day, yet He sets aside one day as *explicitly* His, so also in the tithe, in giving the "first 10th" we confess He owns it all, and therefore ought to take care how the rest is used.

check out the new thread linked n the previous post, some great things to consider you may not have thought of http://www.puritanboard.com/f15/tithe-today-46177/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back