Tithing Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambrose

Puritan Board Freshman
Looking for recommendations on articles about the validity of tithing for the Church today. Not how it should be practiced, but whether or not it is still obligatory.

Writings of Thomas E. Peck, 3 vols, Banner of Truth, 1999
Vol. 1, pp 146-157, "The Moral Obligation of the Tithe"

Peck's argument is narrowly addressed to the specific question, "whether the precise proportion of the tenth is the divinely-ordained proportion--that proportion alone (or at least, the smallest) which God will accept as a rental, or as an expression of our dependence, our gratitude, our devotion to him."

Peck, who was an old school 19th century Southern Presbyterian, by his argument persuaded me against advocating the legal tithe, which position I formerly held.

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
Writings of Thomas E. Peck, 3 vols, Banner of Truth, 1999
Vol. 1, pp 146-157, "The Moral Obligation of the Tithe"

Peck's argument is narrowly addressed to the specific question, "whether the precise proportion of the tenth is the divinely-ordained proportion--that proportion alone (or at least, the smallest) which God will accept as a rental, or as an expression of our dependence, our gratitude, our devotion to him."

Peck, who was an old school 19th century Southern Presbyterian, by his argument persuaded me against advocating the legal tithe, which position I formerly held.

Thanks Reverend! I will check around for that. I don't foresee myself being persuaded in that direction, but would enjoy reading his arguments nonetheless.

As a side question, I was reading some writings by Peter Wallace online, and was fascinated by some of the old Presbyterian discussions on joint-stock companies and other economic issues. He cites a lot of Presbyterian journals to quote GA discussions and old articles. My question is where in the world can I find those? Would I have to visit a library at a large Seminary, or the archives of a denomination, or what?

For example:

"œThe General Assembly of 1836," BRPR 3.3 (July, 1836) 443.

or,

"œFines on the Mode of Going to Worship on the Sabbath--A Symptom of an Anti-Religious Inquisition," Presbyterian Banner (October 29, 1859).

or,

"œSabbath Rail-way Trains," Presbyterial Critic 1:3 (March, 1855) 134-140.

Replicated Post

Chad,
You would probably need to check out some archive or other. The Montreat (NC) or Philadelphia Presbyterian archives have lots of that stuff mouldering away. Stuff like it is always coming on-line, however. Some of the older more strictly theological journals are available in some electronic format or other, some on CD. The more popular papers are probably much harder to find.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
For what it's worth, the RTS Jackson Library has at least some of those periodicals as well.

Thanks! My wife will be thrilled when she hears where we are going for our next vacation. First the moulding archives in Philadelphia, then to the RTS Jackson library.

Do they let any amatuer hack (like me) in to the treasure room?

Originally posted by Chad Degenhart
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
For what it's worth, the RTS Jackson Library has at least some of those periodicals as well.

Thanks! My wife will be thrilled when she hears where we are going for our next vacation. First the moulding archives in Philadelphia, then to the RTS Jackson library.

Do they let any amatuer hack (like me) in to the treasure room?

I'm not entirely sure about their policies (perhaps someone else on the board who affiliated with RTS can answer), but I did notice this statement on their library website:

Non-RTS students seeking articles should initiate all requests through their own library institution (public or academic).

You might also want to check out the PCA Historical Center in St. Louis, MO as another possible resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back