Tithing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritanhead

Puritan Board Professor
Is the necessity of the church tithing really Biblical? Are we obliged to give 10% of our incomes to our churches, or in support of the Lord's work or is that only relevant to ancient Israel.

Some familiar arguments against the necessity of the church paying tithes, are as follows: (1) Only Levite priests could collect tithes, and there are no Levite priests today. (2) Only the firstfruits ("food products") from the land were tithable. There was no tithe however on the fisherman's harvest, etc. (3) Money was never a titheable commodity. (4) Christian converts were never asked to tithe anything to the Church, and is only by inference that the modern church draws this as a requirement.

There are arguments against them. Consider this argument from John MacArthur's Q&A series:
Question

Does God require me to give a tithe of all I earn?
Answer

Two kinds of giving are taught consistently throughout Scripture: giving to the government (always compulsory), and giving to God (always voluntary).

The issue has been greatly confused, however, by some who misunderstand the nature of the Old Testament tithes. Tithes were not primarily gifts to God, but taxes for funding the national budget in Israel.

Because Israel was a theocracy, the Levitical priests acted as the civil government. So the Levite's tithe (Leviticus 27:30-33) was a precursor to today's income tax, as was a second annual tithe required by God to fund a national festival (Deuteronomy 14:22-29). Smaller taxes were also imposed on the people by the law (Leviticus 19:9-10; Exodus 23:10-11). So the total giving required of the Israelites was not 10 percent, but well over 20 percent. All that money was used to operate the nation.

All giving apart from that required to run the government was purely voluntary (cf. Exodus 25:2; 1 Chronicles 29:9). Each person gave whatever was in his heart to give; no percentage or amount was specified.

New Testament believers are never commanded to tithe. Matthew 22:15-22 and Romans 13:1-7 tell us about the only required giving in the church age, which is the paying of taxes to the government. Interestingly enough, we in America presently pay between 20 and 30 percent of our income to the government--a figure very similar to the requirement under the theocracy of Israel.

The guideline for our giving to God and His work is found in 2 Corinthians 9:6-7: "Now this I say, he who sows sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he who sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully. Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver."

I of course went to Liberty, and found listening to Jerry Falwell's month-long stewardship sermons, which dealt with tithing as necessity to be rather nauseating, particularly given that dispensationalists toss out everything from the Old Testament except tithing which they really, really beat up and reemphasize.

Someone offer me a compelling Scriptural reason for tithing among the church... besides the fact that the preacher and his wife needs to eat.

How about just give more than 10% and not tell anyone. :bigsmile:

I agree with your assessment of how dispensationalists latch onto this one aspect of the OT. If only I could just convince the government that all that I pay in taxes really should go to the church, why, I'd be up around 50% . . . .

Vic

Scripture (particularly 2 Cor. 8-9) has deeply convicted me on this issue.

If anything, I think we should give more than 10%, not less.

We should give:

just as you excel in everything"”in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us"”see that you also excel in this grace of giving. (2 Cor. 8:7)

We should give according to what we have, i.e. our giving should be a percentage of our income, i.e. not everybody is supposed to give an equal amount:

the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have. (2 Cor. 8:12)

(Thus, we should NOT be doing any of this "faith promise" stuff like they do on TBN, asking people to promise money they don't have.)

EVERYBODY should give:

Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality (2 Cor. 8:13)

Our blessings from God ARE linked to the generosity of our financial giving to Him:

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. (2 Cor. 9:6)

We must give cheerfully:

Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. (2 Cor. 9:7)

(In other words, it should be a joy to give, not something that we grudgingly do just to relieve our consciences.)

And it is no excuse to say you just "aren't able" to give anything:

God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Remember that "all things" includes giving money to God's work.

And "every good work" includes the good work of giving money to God.

And as if that promise wasn't enough:

Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. (2 Cor. 9:10-11)

And what are some benefits that can be expected for giving money to God's work?

This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift! (2 Cor. 9:12-15)

The New Testament is not unclear on Christian financial giving.

I used to not give much money to the church at all. But then, in personal Bible study with my wife, we went through 2 Corinthians. I remember the conviction I received when we went through chapters 8 and 9.

All Christians are called to give money to the Lord's work, and God has promised to provide for us so that we can do that.

Do you think there might be someone who would be so poor that she should just hold on to what little money she has, rather than give any to the church? Just remember the widow in Scripture with 2 measley coins. Jesus honored her, and said that she gave more than anyone. He never suggested that she should hold onto that little bit of money until she could come up with a little "extra".

Originally posted by biblelighthouse

We should give:

just as you excel in everything"”in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us"”see that you also excel in this grace of giving. (2 Cor. 8:7)

We should give according to what we have, i.e. our giving should be a percentage of our income, i.e. not everybody is supposed to give an equal amount:

the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have. (2 Cor. 8:12)

(Thus, we should NOT be doing any of this "faith promise" stuff like they do on TBN, asking people to promise money they don't have.)

EVERYBODY should give:

Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality (2 Cor. 8:13)

Our blessings from God ARE linked to the generosity of our financial giving to Him:

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. (2 Cor. 9:6)

We must give cheerfully:

Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. (2 Cor. 9:7)

(In other words, it should be a joy to give, not something that we grudgingly do just to relieve our consciences.)

And it is no excuse to say you just "aren't able" to give anything:

God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Remember that "all things" includes giving money to God's work.

And "every good work" includes the good work of giving money to God.

And as if that promise wasn't enough:

Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. (2 Cor. 9:10-11)

And what are some benefits that can be expected for giving money to God's work?

This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift! (2 Cor. 9:12-15)

The New Testament is not unclear on Christian financial giving.

I used to not give much money to the church at all. But then, in personal Bible study with my wife, we went through 2 Corinthians. I remember the conviction I received when we went through chapters 8 and 9.

All Christians are called to give money to the Lord's work, and God has promised to provide for us so that we can do that.

Do you think there might be someone who would be so poor that she should just hold on to what little money she has, rather than give any to the church? Just remember the widow in Scripture with 2 measley coins. Jesus honored her, and said that she gave more than anyone. He never suggested that she should hold onto that little bit of money until she could come up with a little "extra".

In my opinion, this is one of your better posts. :amen:

As my pastor likes to say, we are on a generous 90% commission on everything the Lord blesses us with, and we of course can give freely beyond the tithe. See recent sermons
here
and
here PM
and
here
readings and the PM sermon.

I would like someone to handle the objections posed however, rather just assume tithing and point out the cheerful giving verses.

Originally posted by trevorjohnson
Here's a thought:

When Christ spoke to the Pharisees, he said, "You tithe your mint and cumin and oregano...etc"

Then he said something that bears directly on us.

He said, "You DO WELL to do this..."

He condemns them for other things, but the tithing is to be commended.

Christ gives it his stamp of approval.

What about the fact that they were tithing seed and firstfruit from the land, and not money?

Originally posted by Puritanhead
I would like someone to handle the objections posed however, rather just assume tithing and point out the cheerful giving verses.

Did you read my post? The cheerful giving verses made up only a tiny fraction of the Scriptures I quoted.

Let's try this again:

Some familiar arguments against the necessity of the church paying tithes, are as follows:

(1) Only Levite priests could collect tithes, and there are no Levite priests today.

The New Testament tells Christians to "excel in this grace of giving" (2 Cor. 8:7), and the NT says that EVERYBODY should give (2 Cor. 8:13)

So who cares about the Levitical priests? 2 Cor. 8 was written under the New Covenant, after the Levitical priesthood had already been abrogated by Christ's once-for-all sacrifice.

(2) Only the firstfruits ("food products") from the land were tithable. There was no tithe however on the fisherman's harvest, etc.

The New Testament tells Christians to "excel in this grace of giving" (2 Cor. 8:7), and the NT says that EVERYBODY should give (2 Cor. 8:13)

So who cares about the nonexistence of an OT fish tithe?

(3) Money was never a titheable commodity.

So who cares whether money itself was a "titheable commodity" in the OT?

(4) Christian converts were never asked to tithe anything to the Church, and is only by inference that the modern church draws this as a requirement.

Furthermore, Scripture says that everybody should give a percentage of their money, according to whatever their income is (cf. the "according to your means" and "according to what one has" statements in 2 Cor. 8:11-12)

This is no inference. This is a clear dictate from Scripture itself. ALL Christians are supposed to give a percentage of their income to the church.

John MacArthur said:

New Testament believers are never commanded to tithe.

NT believers ARE told to give money, EVERYBODY is supposed to give, and it is supposed to be a percentage of the income.

So what's the difference?

The guideline for our giving to God and His work is found in 2 Corinthians 9:6-7: "Now this I say, he who sows sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he who sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully. Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver."

Sure, MacArthur's case seems to make sense if you just read these 2 verses, and ignore all the rest of 2 Corinthians 8 and 9.

I repeat:

Furthermore, Scripture says that everybody should give a percentage of their money, according to whatever their income is (cf. the "according to your means" and "according to what one has" statements in 2 Cor. 8:11-12)

Someone offer me a compelling Scriptural reason for tithing among the church... besides the fact that the preacher and his wife needs to eat.

I repeat:

Plus, what is wrong with the fact that "the preacher and his wife needs to eat"? Is that alone not a good reason to give money to your church?

[Edited on 2-6-2006 by biblelighthouse]

So who cares about the Levitical priests? 2 Cor. 8 was written under the New Covenant, after the Levitical priesthood had already been abrogated by Christ's once-for-all sacrifice.

Still, does the compulsion of tithing, under the New Covenant, have a Biblical foundation if the Levitical priesthood and the old law is gone. You're equivocating tithing with giving, and giving need not be placed within those strictures. Must we insist on the compulsiveness of tithing as opposed to giving as a matter of grace, and in cheerfulness.

Giving is a spiritual gift that some obviously excel in. I know the New Testament verses on giving. It really doesn't seem like a satisfactory answer anymore than someone quoting Leviticus 27:30, Numbers 18, or Malachi 3:18-19 without explanation to vindicate tithing for the church.

[Edited on 2-6-2006 by Puritanhead]

{The rest of excellent post snipped for brevity}

Joseph,

I agree completely. I find that arguments about tithing and its abiding validity revolve around an attempt to be stingy with God. The presumption is "how little can I get away with giving?" This seems so preposterous to me that it does not even bear discussing. There is no aspect that I can think of, in which the NT believer is called to less faithfulness, less generosity, less sacrifice, less commitment, or less grace than the OT believer. What do we think when the Israelites had to be restrained and commanded not to give for the work of the tabernacle?

God has given us the incredible grace of participating in His building of His kingdom. Why would we not joyously enter into that?

Thank you again for your excellent post.

Giving in the NT is not a percentage, it is an attitude! And 10% should be the least we give, not the standard for how much we give!

Paul tells us in 2 Corinthians that the starting point for New Testament giving is to give ourselves!! Limiting our giving to a percentage of a financial amount misses not only the whole point buts falls way short of both the scope of giving and the heart attitude that God requires from the giver.

Four Points:

1. Attitude - we must give cheerfully.
2. Systematic - routine, a habit of giving.
3. Sacrificial - Doing without for the sake of others in ncessary.
4. Proportional - Do we give other things more than we give God? Or is our giving in proportion to what we have?

Phillip

Of course, when your income is zero-- your increase is zero-- and there is no obligation to tithe. You reap sparingly, you sow sparingly.

Well, for the record, I don't countenance to the multitude of web sites that seem to be imbued with a keep your money attitude, and I think some who reject the tithe, do it not as a matter of being committed to a Biblically sound hermeneutic, but they simply do not like giving.

I would just like to see some substantive exegesis to vindicate the tithe, rather than just casual inferences, and assumptions. I don't find it in just quoting the verses and assuming it. I would like to hear some substantive refutation of arguments posited above like those of John MacArthur.

I have read Randy Alcorn's The Treasure Principle and I do think we should give not only to our church, but to friends, family and loved ones. I have tried to bless others with a spirit of charity, and have given Christian living and devotional books, and other gifts on occasion. Likewise, I loan generously. I realize that it is not the cost, but the thought that counts, and suprisingly beneficial gifts are available so even those of marginal means can give.

Having said that, as a Liberty alumni, I have heard some pretty hair-brained sermons on tithing and stewardship from Jerry Falwell, et al. I think some pastors beat their congregations up over the tithe. Falwell goes a whole month on stewardship preaching about tithing. But this is another issue which relates to feeding the flock. I just think because so many pastors tirelessly plea for tithes and offerings, that some could muster up a thoughtful exegesis of it, rather than dismiss it as not being worth discussion.

[Edited on 2-7-2006 by Puritanhead]

The American way is to throw money at something, but not get involved. I believe that proper tithing also involves the sweat from our brow in labors for the Lord and His glory, works of hospitality on behalf of the Saints, giving hours in service to others, etc.

Perhaps this is a problem of exclusively monetizing the tithe. I once saw a joke about how a Christian can win favor with the preacher. Person signs their check, and in the memo at the margin, they write 15%. Sometimes, people tithe generously for the glory of man. God knows the heart.

How many give a tithe of their time outside of work? Or labor in the church?

Originally posted by fredtgreco
I agree completely. I find that arguments about tithing and its abiding validity revolve around an attempt to be stingy with God. The presumption is "how little can I get away with giving?" This seems so preposterous to me that it does not even bear discussing. There is no aspect that I can think of, in which the NT believer is called to less faithfulness, less generosity, less sacrifice, less commitment, or less grace than the OT believer. What do we think when the Israelites had to be restrained and commanded not to give for the work of the tabernacle?

Well, I assure you that is not what I am looking for here. If that is the inference about my arguments than it is a straw man argument. Frankly, I have heard more about tithing in the last few years from preachers than I ever did growing up. Some pastors seem obsessed with its reemphasis over and over. But that is another issue of feeding the flock. However, I don't throw those assumptions to those on the board. I always found this especially comical going to a dispensationalist school, as one knows how they handle the Old Testament. Yet I hear so much about the tithe from them.

With respect it seems--- no matter what circle, Reformed or dispensationalist-- whenever questions of the tithe's validity makes a countenance than it is conveniently dismissed as if it is not even a moot point. Likewise, a requisite amount of derision is cast on those who question the tithe or who say they don't tithe.

I've found that pastors who do not acquiesce with tithing just emphasize the necessity of grace, charity, and giving so much--- so they could hardly foment stinginess among the congregations by not preaching tithing. Perhaps there is a wise manner of handling the issue, rather than giving their congregations a carte blanche to not tithe, and explicitly denying the tithe, and by inference lead others to give less generously.

[Edited on 2-7-2006 by Puritanhead]

Ryan,

I was not making a reference to you, but rather to observation of the general state of the Church.

Well-- I'll drop this issue...

It is usually only the dispensationalists and crazy televangelists that beat tithing to death as an issue, and neglect feeding their congregations.

I just wondered if I could get some substantive exegesis on the matter. I'll go see what the early church fathers thought which seems hard to track down, and I'll go consult Owen, Henry or Calvin, and read their arguments if available.

In any case, no one can go wrong by giving generously to others, and in service of the Lord. I think sometimes, the percentile mentality, and the idea of exclusively monetizing what we give might undercut the grace of giving. We can give ourselves and our time.

Thank you brothers in Christ for your thoughtful responses.
:)

10 PERCENT?! How am I going to make my house payment?!

Just kidding. I have to say that 100% of my income comes from tax dollars so I look at paying taxes in the same light as the tithe in one sense. :)

I think the exegesis of principles as to "Why Tithe?" is sound Ryan. You may also want to consider that Abraham tithed to Melchizedek. The pattern is established well before the giving of the Mosaic Law.

Like most things in the Law that we can Love because they reflect the character of God, the tithe is something that can be turned into a way of keeping the Body of the Law and turn into a curse.

Something I learned a while back that is very practical to me is the idea of discipline. The problem that many Christians have is that they view the idea of giving cheerfully as foreign because they have no established habit of giving.

I agree with others that we focus on the money but, frankly, that's where a lot of people need to develop spiritual discipline. When I first considered tithing many years ago, I thought there would be no way to give that amount of money every month. Once I began setting aside that money regularly, it became habitual. I'm not saying there's not a part of me that doesn't sometimes second-guess my decision to set aside the tithe every month but the habit is developed. As my "giving threshold" is already elevated, in terms of what I'm accustomed to giving, giving abundantly above that cheerfully is easier to do.

The same principle applies to almost all areas of life. I can relate to Paul's analogy of a person in physical training because of my regular exercise. I train my body every day so that it's ready for the semi-annual Physical Fitness Test. I'm 38 this year and I still smoke 18 year kids on the 3 mile run. Others my age who train only sporadically find the PFT to be quite painful.

The bottom line is that discipline is one of those things you do even when it seems like there is monotony to it. Some have a false idea that we ought to wait around until we're really motivated to do something. Training your body or your spirit is sometimes pleasurable in the moment but it usually feels like work. Tithing, in my humble opinion, is something we do to train our giving and should be the "regular exercise" that keeps our giving muscles healthy.

How's THAT for non-substantive exegesis?! :)

[Edited on 2-7-2006 by SemperFideles]

Oh, and by the way, let me add that being a Church Treasurer is very challenging spiritually. Since I'm a bit of a computer geek (OK, I'm a huge geek), I've had to help set up some tools to help the Church track its giving. Learning how very little some were giving was very shocking to me. These were not poor people in the least. To this day, years later, it is hard for me to forget about how stingy they are with the blessings the Lord has given them. Suffice to say, a Church definitely needs mature Deacons that can handle such information in a mature way.

I did neglect to add above, also, the NT principle that the Pastor should be well compensated and supported for the ministry of the Word and doctrine. If the Priests' ministry was worthy of at least 10% then why would the spread of the Gospel be worthy of less?

The same principle applies to almost all areas of life. I can relate to Paul's analogy of a person in physical training because of my regular exercise. I train my body every day so that it's ready for the semi-annual Physical Fitness Test. I'm 38 this year and I still smoke 18 year kids on the 3 mile run. Others my age who train only sporadically find the PFT to be quite painful.

The bottom line is that discipline is one of those things you do even when it seems like there is monotony to it. Some have a false idea that we ought to wait around until we're really motivated to do something. Training your body or your spirit is sometimes pleasurable in the moment but it usually feels like work. Tithing, in my humble opinion, is something we do to train our giving and should be the "regular exercise" that keeps our giving muscles healthy.

Excellent analogy!

I do think that this applies to pretty much all of our christian lives. If you are unfit and haven't been exercising for ages, going for a run can be quite a painful affair - your legs hurt, your lungs burn and you basically feel like you are going to die. But when you are fit and exercising regularly a run can actually be quite a pleasureable experience.

Likewise, when we are living carnal, distracted lives, setting aside time to pray or read the bible can be almost a painful, tiresome affair. But we just have to push on at it. The desire and joy will come from the doing, i believe.

The "discipline" ananlogy is ideal, in my opinion. Under the OT administration, God prescribed amounts (10% here, 10% there, firstfruits over there, etc.) for giving to the church. He also prescribed a tithe for "personal enjoyment/family recreation"--I'll let you find the reference.

What does this sound like? It sounds like a parent teaching his kid about handling money through disciplining him with respect to his allowance or other income. The parent is instilling "discipline." And we know that the Israelites were like children in their minority, under discipline, until the time of Christ.

Now let me tell you--you ought not need a LAW to instruct you any more as to what God wants. Beside the fact that "you are not your own, you were bought with a price," God is going to treat you like a grown-up. You have been disciplined. You have examples of giants like Abraham giving offerings to God. You have the whole Bible as a guide (assuming you need reminders) about giving.

Simply put--God is not going to put his desires for you into some form of "percentage" anymore. Christian, it's time to grow up. What do you think God wants you to learn from the teaching he left for you?

Here's a thought:

When Christ spoke to the Pharisees, he said, "You tithe your mint and cumin and oregano...etc"

Then he said something that bears directly on us.

He said, "You DO WELL to do this..."

He condemns them for other things, but the tithing is to be commended.

Christ gives it his stamp of approval.

Jesus seems to be responding to the rabbinic tradition that forbid the pharisees from using anything that had not been subject to the tithe (See Edersheim, The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah ). In the case where Jesus was invited into the home of a pharisee for a meal, the conversation may have turned in that direction (cf. Luke 11:42). There is no commandment in the law to tithe "mint, etc" per se. This was a rabbinic twist on the law.

I believe that what Jesus was teaching is that the weighter matters of the law should never be overshadowed by the lighter things. We can not use the excuse of "attention to detail" from keeping us from the greater issue of love, etc.

I think if these passages were really about the tithe, Jesus would have selected a more appropriate contrast, such as tithing mint. etc vs tithing from our firstfruits/substance.

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
The "discipline" ananlogy is ideal, in my opinion. Under the OT administration, God prescribed amounts (10% here, 10% there, firstfruits over there, etc.) for giving to the church. He also prescribed a tithe for "personal enjoyment/family recreation"--I'll let you find the reference.

What does this sound like? It sounds like a parent teaching his kid about handling money through disciplining him with respect to his allowance or other income. The parent is instilling "discipline." And we know that the Israelites were like children in their minority, under discipline, until the time of Christ.

Now let me tell you--you ought not need a LAW to instruct you any more as to what God wants. Beside the fact that "you are not your own, you were bought with a price," God is going to treat you like a grown-up. You have been disciplined. You have examples of giants like Abraham giving offerings to God. You have the whole Bible as a guide (assuming you need reminders) about giving.

Simply put--God is not going to put his desires for you into some form of "percentage" anymore. Christian, it's time to grow up. What do you think God wants you to learn from the teaching he left for you?
Calvin's commentary on Galatians 3:24
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster. This is the second comparison, which still more clearly expresses Paul's design. A schoolmaster is not appointed for the whole life, but only for childhood, as the etymology of the Greek word paidagwgo>v implies. 1 Besides, in training a child, the object is to prepare him, by the instructions of childhood, for maturer years. The comparison applies in both respects to the law, for its authority was limited to a particular age, and its whole object was to prepare its scholars in such a manner, that, when its elementary instructions were closed, they might make progress worthy of manhood. And so he adds, that it was our schoolmaster (eijv Cristo<n) unto Christ. The grammarian, when he has trained a boy, delivers him into the hands of another, who conducts him through the higher branches of a finished education. In like manner, the law was the grammar of theology, which, after carrying its scholars a short way, handed them over to faith to be completed. Thus, Paul compares the Jews to children, and us to advanced youth.

Here's a section from Sunday School lectures I delivered on Tithing. The three arguments below are under a., b., and c..

Three arguments for tithing as the minimum of God´s will for His people in financing His kingdom.
a. Because of the first mention of tithing in the Bible and how the NT understands it.
1) Gen. 14:18-20
a) Tithe not commanded, but assumed. All acceptable worship in the Bible is prescribed worship.
b) "œtithe" means one-tenth
c) Cf. Gen. 28:22 where Jacob vows to give God a tithe while at His house.
2) Heb. 6:19 - 7:11 (esp. vv. 5-6). This passage displays the superiority of Christ´s priesthood over the Levitical priesthood. There are two types in this passage, both of which are instructional for us.
a) Melchizedek of Christ: in three ways (Pink, 10)
"¢ In his person, by combining the kingly and priestly offices (Heb. 6:20; 7:1). As Melchizedek was both a priest and a king as a type of Christ, so Christ is both priest and king as his anti-type, or fulfillment.
"¢ In his names, combining righteousness and peace, for "œMelchizedek" itself means "œKing of righteousness," and "œSalem" means "œpeace."
"¢ In his pronouncement of blessing upon Abraham and the bringing of bread and wine (Gen. 14:18-19).
b) Abraham of believers: Ab. is the father of the faithful. Here he is seen as rendering a tithe to Melchizedek, a type of Christ. Hence, in following his example, we are to render our tithes, not to Melchizedek, but to Christ, the anti-type and fulfillment of all that Melchizedek typified. Pink, 10.
3) Waldron´s two observations on these passages:
a) "œThe paying of tithes to the Melchizedekian priesthood by Abraham confirms the Christian´s duty to tithe" (62).
"¢ Because the priest mentioned in Gen. 14:18ff. has a transcendent significance.
"¢ Because the patriarch mentioned in Gen. 14:18ff. has a transcendent significance. He is the father of the faithful in the NT.
"¢ Because the tithe mentioned in Gen. 14:18ff. has a transcendent significance, due to its presence prior to the giving of the Mosaic law.
"œSeveral things were true of Melchizedek, the priest. He provided a priestly meal of bread and wine for Abraham. He blessed Abraham"¦ He received tithes from Abraham. But Jesus is a high priest after the order of Melchizedek. You must admit that Jesus, our high priest, provides for us a sacred meal of bread and wine. You must also admit that Jesus "¦ bless[es] His people. Now how, let me ask, can you admit these two things and yet deny that Jesus, a priest after the order of Melchizedek, receives tithes from the spiritual seed of Abraham? "¦If our father, Abraham, felt it his duty to pay tithes to Melchizedek in response to the priestly meal and blessing he received, then how can we receive food and blessing from the same order of priest, but refuse a similar response of paying the tithe to our high priest?" (63-64).
b) "œThe paying of tithes to the Melchizedekian priesthood by Abraham clarifies to whom the Christian should tithe" (64).
"¢ To the One who is the fulfillment of the OT´s historical Melchizedek "“ Christ.
"¢ To His house, the church, the temple of God, where the High Priest according to the order of Melchizedek is present.
"¢ In the OT, the tithe is the Lord´s and is paid to His priest ministering in His house. The church is God´s house, His temple, under the NC. And the church is the exclusive agency on earth, legally authorized by Christ Himself, to represent the high priest after the order of Melchizedek.
b. Because of the way Christ dealt with tithing (Mt. 23:23).
1) Christ rebukes the scribes and Pharisees for their hypocrisy.
2) They tithed the herbs, but neglected the weightier matters of justice, mercy, and faith.
3) He says they ought to have obeyed the tithing law and these weightier matters.
4) Pink, 7, "œBut while Christ acknowledged that the observance of justice and mercy is more important than tithing"¦nevertheless He says, these others ought ye not to have left undone. He does not set aside the tithe. He places justice and mercy as being more weighty, but He places His authority upon the practice of tithing by saying "œThese ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other [i.e., tithing of herbs] undone.""
5) Piper, Toward the Tithe and Beyond, "œSo Jesus endorses tithing: don't neglect it. It is not as essential as justice love and mercy; but it is to be done."
6) All of us would acknowledge that justice, mercy, and faith are duties for all of us. No one would argue that they are for the Jews under the OC alone. So with tithing because it 1) predates the OC and 2) it is clearly upheld in the NT by our next point.
c. Because the church is the temple of God and God has always funded His temple via tithing. It is designed to finance the priesthood and temple activities commanded by God.
1) Lev. 27:30-32 "œholy unto the Lord" = His!
2) Num. 18:25-26 Support of temple workers.
3) 1 Cor. 3:16-17; 2 Cor. 6:16; Eph. 2:19-21; 1 Pt. 2:6 Church is temple.
4) 1 Cor. 9:13-14 Pink, 8
a) Context: The right of the Apostles and other gospel laborers to be financially compensated for their gospel labors (vv. 4, 6-14).
b) v. 13 Paul goes back to the OT and how God provided for those who were temple laborers. Piper, Ibid., "œIn other words he reminds the church that in the Old Testament economy there was this system in which the Levites who worked in the Temple lived off the tithes brought to the temple."
c) v. 14 "œEven so"¦" Now he draws and application to the church from the OT system of providing for temple workers. Piper, Ibid., "œThe least Paul is saying is that those who spend their lives in the service of the Word of God should be supported by the rest of the Christians. But since he draws attention to the way it was done in the Old Testament as the model, it seems likely that tithing would have been the early Christian guideline, if not mandate. In other words when we tithe today we honor a principle and plan of God that sustained the ministry in the Old Testament and probably sustained the New Testament ministry as well."
d) Pink, 8, "œThe word tithe is not found in these two verses but it is most clearly implied. In verse 13 the Holy Spirit reminds the New Testament saints that under the Mosaic economy God had made provision for the maintenance for those who ministered in the temple. Now then, he says, in the New testament dispensation "œEven so" (v. 14) "“ the same means and the same method are to be used in the support and maintaining fo the preachers of the Gospel as were used in supporting the temple and its services of old. "œEven so." It was the tithe that supported God´s servants in the Old Testament dispensation: "œEven so" God has ordained, and appointed that His servants in the New Testament dispensation shall be so provided for."
e) Tithing, then, is assumed to be valid and expected for Christians under the NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back