To A Thousand Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Puritan Board Sophomore
After reading some of the critical comments about Douglas Wilson on this thread, how do you all rate the book, "To A Thousand Generations" that he authored? From the paedobaptist view, is he pretty much on the money in this particular book? Thanks.

On a scale of 1-10, a 4.

It had some good things. But I can't recommend Wilson anymore for anything. You'll get everything in his work, and more, in "Simple Overview of CT."

Hi Dr. McMahon,

Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon
On a scale of 1-10, a 4.

It had some good things. But I can't recommend Wilson anymore for anything. You'll get everything in his work, and more, in "Simple Overview of CT."

Thanks for your input. Are there things that he says in that book that are in error from the paedobaptist perspective? What specifically, if you don't mind me asking?

I know that there are many people that dismiss him entirely because of FV (which I don't know much about to be honest with you), but does this book itself in any way misrepresent the paedobaptist position?

Thanks.

Greg,
It is a good book partnered with Matt's primer................There is nothing in the book reflective of Wilsons recent ideas with FedVis. Are there better books on CT? Absolutely. But for the newly endeavoring, it is an excellent starter.

As far as (in my opinion) the best book on CT, I suggest getting Witsius' work.

Originally posted by Greg
After reading some of the critical comments about Douglas Wilson on this thread, how do you all rate the book, "To A Thousand Generations" that he authored? From the paedobaptist view, is he pretty much on the money in this particular book? Thanks.

I really like the book. It was the first book I ever read that strongly persuaded me of the validity of infant baptism. (Of course I have read quite a few more since then.)

I frequently recommend the book to people. I think it is an excellent book for a person first studying the issue. There are certainly more in-depth books, but it's not always a good idea to overwhelm somebody with a highly detailed, technical treatise.

Anyway, I would have no problem whatsoever with recommending that book to people. It is a good one!

Originally posted by Greg
Hi Dr. McMahon,

Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon
On a scale of 1-10, a 4.

Thanks for your input. Are there things that he says in that book that are in error from the paedobaptist perspective? What specifically, if you don't mind me asking?

I know that there are many people that dismiss him entirely because of FV (which I don't know much about to be honest with you), but does this book itself in any way misrepresent the paedobaptist position?

Thanks.

On a limb, and from memory, I cannot think of anything that was theologically bad in his work. As Scott said, it was not until later (about a year) that he began getting into the Federal Vision. Its very simple and an easy book to deal with.

My reservation - If you like his book, or I have his book in a list of recommendations without qualifying my thoughts on his recent stuff, people may be sucked into thinking "Wow - this was a good book, I wonder what else he has written." Then there goes the neighborhood.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Dr. McMahon, point taken in regards to your reservation about recommending the book to others not aware of his affiliation with FV. Thank you. I have already read your CT book. :up:

Scott, actually I just recently purchased Witsius' two volume work. I really haven't dived into it yet as I'm still working through gaining a good grasp of the "basics" of CT. But I am looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back