To buy a Systematic Theology and a Theological Dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

sola_grazia

Inactive User
Hello Brothers in Christ.
I am Italian and I would like to buy a book in English from Amazon or other e-bookshops about Reformed Theology: which is the best manual of Systematic Theology and where can I find it? I have seen a lot of titles (Louis Berkhof for example) and I do not know which is the best one and which of them are orthodox in doctrine and not liberal. I would like also to buy a manual which could explain to me some concepts that are almost stranger to m (dispensationalism, preteritism, amil, premil, hyperXXX etc..). I am a former Roman Catholic seminarian and here these concepts are not taught and almost unknown. Thank You very much for your help.

Pace e gioia sia con voi!

I think you would do well to go with Berkhof, if you are looking for a 1-volume systematic theology. He is a reliable guide to Reformed systematic theology.

As for a Theological Dictionary, I would recommend Baker's Dictionary of Theology as a good one to start with. There are others that are probably better, but they also would be more difficult (my opinion) for you because of the language difference.

I would go with the Evangelical Dictionary of Theology edited by William Elwell. In some ways it is much better than a systematic theology.

Berkhof's is the standard, if dry English.

In some ways, Reymond is overkill.

If possible, Calvin's Institutes would be the best.

As you have only recently come to the Reformed faith, I would heartily recommend a puritan work to you as an introduction. The book is entitled "A body of divinity" by Thomas Watson and you will find a FREE digital version at my site at:

HERE

I would start at the section which covers the fall of man and work forwards from there.

This will lay a very good foundation for the more advanced works.

Blessings

I also would recommend Robert L. Reymond. Very well-written and very powerful and faithful in his exposition of the faith.

I think the most readable one currently is Robert Reymond's "New Systematic Theology". His I would recommend highly.

Reymond is good, but I am still partial to Berkof's Systematic Theology.

I saw on Amazon.com this edition of Berkhof's ST:http://http://www.amazon.com/Systematic-Theology-Louis-Berkhof/dp/0802838200/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207084823&sr=1-1... Is this complete? If I look to the "table of contents", I see (only) 197 pp., and I cannot find the parts about God and Man, the Salvation, the Church, the Eschatology etc.. Where are the other volumes? I was not able to find them through Amazon and I do not really want to make some mistakes buying books through the Internet.

I would go with the Evangelical Dictionary of Theology edited by William Elwell. In some ways it is much better than a systematic theology.

Berkhof's is the standard, if dry English.
In some ways, Reymond is overkill.

If possible, Calvin's Institutes would be the best.

I have read Calvin Institutes with much pleasure, they're beautiful. Anyway I wanted to buy a modern ST which deals also to contemporary christian controversies (such as liberal derailments from Faith, Credobaptism against Pedobaptism, Dispensationalism, Amil againts Premil etc..).

PS:
What's dry English?????

Dry english=noioso.

This is a link to a good edition of Berkhof (784 pages).

I would recommend Berkhof over Reymond. There are points where Reymond has generated a lot of controversy, but as far as I know Berkhof is considered a reliable guide by almost everyone in the Reformed church. I don't think his "dry English" is a problem for understanding what he says.

My decision

You will find a lot of different recommendations for a good systematic theology here. A couple of previous threads on the subject may be worth perusing:

http://www.puritanboard.com/f15/best-systematic-theology-28668/
http://www.puritanboard.com/f29/systematic-theology-do-you-use-17945/

After reading these threads, I decided to buy *Reymond*, together with *Evangelical Dictionary of Theology* edited by William Elwell, as suggested by brother J. Bradford. I am also willing to buy other reformed books through the Internet, but I will deal with this topic in the right thread. If I can save money, I will also buy Berkhof...

You will find a lot of different recommendations for a good systematic theology here. A couple of previous threads on the subject may be worth perusing:

http://www.puritanboard.com/f15/best-systematic-theology-28668/
http://www.puritanboard.com/f29/systematic-theology-do-you-use-17945/

After reading these threads, I decided to buy Reymond, together with Evangelical Dictionary of Theology edited by William Elwell, as suggested by brother J. Bradford. I am also willing to buy other reformed books through the Internet, but I will deal with this topic in the right thread. If I can save money, I will also buy Berkhof...

The Evangelical Dictionary Theology is good. Even though it is not arranged by a traditional format, it is arranged in alphabetical order and the topics give yuo the same truth, only in a nicely condensed format.

Dry english=noioso.

I would recommend Berkhof over Reymond. There are points where Reymond has generated a lot of controversy, but as far as I know Berkhof is considered a reliable guide by almost everyone in the Reformed church. I don't think his "dry English" is a problem for understanding what he says.

I can only see 197 pages in the Berkhof's "table of contents" ("search inside" service). Maybe have I to buy more than one volume?

I do not understand the meaning of "dry English". Dry for me is something not damp.

As for a Theological Dictionary, I would recommend Baker's Dictionary of Theology as a good one to start with. There are others that are probably better, but they also would be more difficult (my opinion) for you because of the language difference.

As a matter of fact, I have no difficulty to understand theological books in English and English essays. I have other kinds of difficulties, such as writing in your language and especially understanding spoken English (in particular American one). As regards the written English, I know it's very silly but I manage better to understand the literary/old English then the contemporary/slang one. I have no difficult to read, for example, the Confessions of Faith in English, or the KJV of the Bible. When I run into phraseal verbs, I get mad!

As you have only recently come to the Reformed faith, I would heartily recommend a puritan work to you as an introduction. The book is entitled "A body of divinity" by Thomas Watson and you will find a FREE digital version at my site at:

HERE

I would start at the section which covers the fall of man and work forwards from there.

This will lay a very good foundation for the more advanced works.

Blessings

Thank You very much. I have put your site in my "favourites" and, with the required attention and temper (and time), I will read the works you have collected.

"Dry" in the sense of stilted, stodgy, boring. If you have Reymond and Berkhof, you have the field covered pretty well. I agree with Jacob that the Evangelical Dictionary of Theology is an excellent resource book. Berkhof is somewhat older. So, if you are looking for the latest controversies, he may miss them.

Dry english=noioso.

I can only see 197 pages in the Berkhof's "table of contents" ("search inside" service). Maybe have I to buy more than one volume?

I do not understand the meaning of "dry English". Dry for me is something not damp.

What happens is that they bound two volumes in one. If you purchase the edition I linked to you would really be getting two books. Introduction to Systematic Theology and Systematic Theology. When they printed them as one book, they did not change the page numbering. But if you were to buy the edition I linked to you would get the full systematic theology, including the introduction.

"Dry" when applied to writing or speaking just means that something is boring, "dusty", uninteresting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back