To whom was the Great Commission given?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
-To the Apostles only?

-To the Church Universal through the Apostles?

-To the local church?

What implications does this have for missions?

How does this fit in? I have been leading a group and teaching them how to share the gospel. This is under the care of my Pastor and Church. Does that mean I am ordained to do this? My Pastor has been present the last few times I have been teaching it.

This is a question I have been thinking a lot about, also Para Church Ministries and how it ties together. That's why I purchased The Gospel Commission by Michael Horton. Hoping to get some good answers.

I thought it was as Joshua stated above, but many people seem to disagree with me on this subject.

-To the Apostles only?

-To the Church Universal through the Apostles?

-To the local church?

What implications does this have for missions?
To the Apostles directly and consequently to officers/ministers of the Gospel. Obviously not to the Apostles only, since they wouldn't get to all nations to baptize them before dying themselves. Obviously not to all Christians without exception since some are - by default - not authorized to be teachers and administers of Baptism. The Lord Jesus alludes to His own commission given by the Father to Himself ("All power is given unto me . . . Therefore) and subsequently gives the Apostles the authority to do what He commands them in His commission to them.
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
:up:

Weren't there others besides the 11 present at Christ's ascension?

Paul speaks of many other witnesses seeing the Lord all at once and many believe this occurred in Matthew 28. In this case, is it not more proper to say that the Great Commisssion was given to the whole Church (the Apostles being the foundation of this Church)?

Also, many Landmark Baptists dogmatically assert that, "God has given the Great Commission to the local church." emphasizing the LOCAL part, but I just don't see where they draw out this particular emphasis on the local church versus the Worldwide Body of Christ.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

How does this fit in? I have been leading a group and teaching them how to share the gospel. This is under the care of my Pastor and Church. Does that mean I am ordained to do this? My Pastor has been present the last few times I have been teaching it.

If laymen are sharing the Gospel, does this mean they are also working towards the fulfillment of the Great Commission?

If the Great Commisssion was given to the Church through the foundation of the Apostles, then we all fulfill it - each in our respective roles.

Jesus spoke the Great Commission to a group, and it is to be accomplished as a group. No person can go to all nations, nor is it required of a person who accomplishes one part of the commission to fulfill all of it; another may fulfill what has yet to be accomplished. In the same way, every Christian may play a role in the Gospel Commission to the church, whether or not they are qualified to be baptizers (for example). Another saint may fill that role. What is essential is that this task be done as, by, and through the Church.

I'm of the opinion that the Great Commission was/is given to the Church, with the officers being entrusted to carry out the primary public/corporate aspects of that commission.

For surely when a parent raises their child in the fear and admonition of the Lord they are engaging in the disciple making process. Surely when an older woman teaches a younger woman how to love her husband and children she is engaging in the disciple making process. Surely when believers teach one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs they are engaging in the disciple making process. Etc.

But that aside, congregational life is intended to aid in our discipleship. Serving each other, encouraging each other... these are incalculably important. We all in our own way contribute.

We are to teach all truth,... evangelism emanates from the life of the Church for the enlargement of none other than the Church. Furthermore, the body of truth upon which evangelism is based is entrusted to the Church which is "the pillar and ground of the truth" (1 Tim. 3:15). The truth, together with the authority to propagate, defend and maintain it, is vested in the Church alone and the Church alone is commissioned to evangelize by taking the teaching to all nations, and by preaching the Gospel to every creature. The converts or disciples that are made are added to the parent body by baptism and each one is subject to the discipline of the elders of that body.

Each member of the Church has a function. (Rom. 12:4, the word "office" is better translated function from the Greek word prazin; I Cor. 12:12-27; Eph. 4:16.)... The whole local church is involved. All members evangelize by life and lip and support some of their number who have been recognized and set apart, not only for the oversight and the maintenance of discipline, but for the public preaching of the Word. Care is taken to fulfil the high standards of correct doctrine insisted upon by the Scriptures (Acts 20:27-32; 1 Tim. 4:16; Titus 1:9 and 2:1). Those recognized in this way lead the flock in evangelism. The work is a corporate work and the elders or leaders do not act independently but see every member as having some part to play.
The above are portions from Erroll Hulse's article 'The Local Church and Evangelism'.

I suspect some would throw John Bunyan into the cell again for not being lawfully ordained.

Even if this commission was only given in the presence of the 11, the command for them to teach everything and for them to tell everyone to hold fast to (observe) to everything taught in this area, I think I can conclude the great commission is for the whole Church as my denomination sees it.

(Mat 28:20) Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

This is a commission to all with a promise that He will always be with us to the end of the world which the Apostles wouldn't be. In a sense as a body we are involved with the baptism of believers. We bring them to Christ and the Church.

(2Ti 2:2) And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

I honestly believe that every regenerate man can be faithful and teach at some basic level. The gospel of reconciliation is the basic message of Christianity. It is the basic hope we have that we are commanded to give an account for in season and out of season in my estimation. This is most basic.

(Joh 5:24) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

The simplicity of the Gospel is something that should flow out of every believer. The Holy Spirit will be given to all and the Holy Spirit will testify of Christ.

(Joh 7:37) In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

(Joh 7:38) He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

(Joh 15:26) But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Are these promises only for the Apostles? I am willing to bet that can be argued also.

As I have said previously. I agree with my denominations Testimony concerning this issue.

6. Evangelism is the proclamation of Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord as he is offered in the Gospel. Christ laid the responsibility upon the whole Church to make this proclamation. The task is not restricted to ordained officers. Each member is to take his share of the responsibility according to the gifts God has given him.

7. Those evangelizing should use all available means consistent with the Bible so that every person may be given the opportunity to hear, understand, and receive the Gospel. While guarding against undue pressure, we must urge men to be reconciled to God.

8. Evangelism is not only to seek the conversion of sinners but also to build them up to become effective in the Church's continuing task.

9. The Great Commission requires the Church to take the whole Gospel to the whole world. The Bible recognizes the legitimacy of diverse cultures. Every culture is to be transformed and made subject to Christ through redeemed men, all for the glory of God.

10. Wherever consistent with faithfulness to God's truth, different branches of the visible church should cooperate in evangelism to strengthen their witness by demonstrating their unity in Christ.

The 1689 allows for others besides merely ministers to baptize

I did not realize this. Does the 1689 allow for non-ministers to preach as well? I ask out of ignorance.

Yes, they are if they are seen fit. I will look it up for you.

Chapter 26. 11

11. Although it is the duty of the elders or pastors of the churches, according to their office, to be constantly active in preaching the Word, yet such a work is not to be regarded as confined wholly to them, for the Holy Spirit may qualify others for the same work by giving them the necessary gifts. In this case, when such men are approved and called to the work by the church, they may and ought to perform it.

Act_11:19-21; 1Pe_4:10-11.

To whom was the Great Commission given?

To the Apostles first and all ministers who follow.

The 1689 allows for others besides merely ministers to baptize; therefore, Reformed Baptists must believe the Great Commission may be fulfilled by those other than mere ministers of the Gospel.

It is given to the Church through those it appoints.

Where? LBCF 28.2 says this:
2._____ These holy appointments are to be administered by those only who are qualified and thereunto called, according to the commission of Christ. (referencing Mat 28 and 1 Cor 4)​
"Thereunto called, according to the commission of Christ" sounds like church officers to me.

Yeah, I am not so sure about the ordinances (ie. sacraments). I have seen others do it under the authority of their Elders and Pastors. Not sure if that is confessional. But it was done under the authority of the Elders.

One cannot divorce the command to teach all nations from also the baptizing them. That's just shoddy exegesis.

I don't think that is being done Josh. And I think you are mistaken to make this observation. Teaching has to preceed baptism. We can speak the good news of reconciliation as I noted above. You can call it shoddy all you want but I believe you are seriously wrong if you can call it shoddy. I can evangelize based upon Christ and lead persons to Christ and His Church. His Church will thus act accordingly as I bring them to her doorstep. You can call it shoddy all you desire. You are wrong in my estimation.

The 1644 Baptist Confession:

The person designed by Christ to dispense baptism, the Scripture holds forth to be a disciple; it being no where tied to a particular church officer, or person extraordinarily sent the commission enjoining the administration, being given to them as considered disciples, being men able to preach the gospel.

London Baptist confession of 1689

The Church

13. Although it be incumbent on the bishops or pastors of the churches, to be instant in preaching the word, by way of office, yet the work of preaching the word is not so peculiarly confined to them but that others also gifted and fitted by the Holy Spirit for it, and approved and called by the church, may and ought to perform it.

Savoy Declaration of Faith (1658)

The Church

11. Although it be incumbent on the pastors and teachers of the churches to be instant in preaching the Word, by way of office; yet the work of preaching the Word is not so peculiarly confined to them, but that others also gifted and fitted by the Holy Ghost for it, and approved (being by lawful ways and means in the providence of God called thereunto) may publicly, ordinarily and constantly perform it; so that they give themselves up thereunto.

Not all misssionaries hold to a Church office, but they all should have the gifting and qualification and the commisssioning of the Church to do their task.

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

One cannot divorce the command to teach all nations from also the baptizing them. That's just shoddy exegesis. I don't mean this as a slight, but it's taking the whole thing out of context. There are no examples of "Lay Preaching" or "Proclamation of the Gospel" apart from being sent and commissioned. Despite the good intentions of much modern day evangelism, I see it as a product of egalitarianism, revivalism a la Finney, and a misunderstanding of "Ministry" proper.

That noted, I appreciate the emphasis that Mr. Hulse puts on evangelism being under the direction of the church and showing how the Gospel is not a 5 minute presentation pressing for a decision. The official ministry of reconciliation falls upon the shoulders of ministers. Lay folk should certainly be engaged in acting and speaking in the gates with Christian fervor, telling others the great things the Lord has done for them, and lovingly addressing the issues of the day while inviting others to church where they may hear the gospel preached, become disciples, and come under the authority of Christ's appointed undershepherds.

Yes, the Church must not divorce baptism from teaching, but this does not mean that every individual missionary or Christian laboring in missions must do every single task. There is a diversity of gifting and calling. Thus, some women and laymen can be sent by the Church to help in the overall task of world evangelization, though every single one need not hold a Church Office.

Except if we're gonna call what the women, children, and other unauthorized folk are doing evangelism, then we'd better admit that we're defining evangelism in a manner that's foreign from the Scriptures' use of the terminology.

I am not sure what you mean by this Josh. Your accusation of unauthorized might be incorrect in my estimation. Surely I know those who don't understand the good news have no authority to teach it. But a mother should evangelize and teach her children and those with whom she is given an access to. Tell me where someone is called unauthorized and share that with me please. See my above Post Josh. Post number 15. Thanks.

Josh,

Churches should screen and send out their missionaries by first commisssioning them. I've never seen a child commissioned.

Josh,

You switched words on me.

I have already fully shown that both preaching and baptism can be done confessionally by those other than church officers, and thus the Great Commission can be fulfilled by them.

---------- Post added at 03:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

See post 22 again.

Churches should screen and send out their missionaries by first commisssioning them.

Then it would seem that you would change my original answer to, "To the Apostles first, and those commissioned afterwards."

Would this be fair?

I for one was lost on this point during the discussion. It seemed that the view of "every Tom, Dick, and Harry allowed to evangelize" was being espoused.

Of course a mother should teach her children, raising them up in the fear and admonition of the Lord. Those are Christian duties belonging to all parents. Of course we should be forward to speak of what the Lord has done for us in the marketplace, as well as be ready to give a defense of what we believe, etc. Nevertheless, those things are not Evangelism nor are they the Ministry of Reconciliation, nor are they the duties given in the Great Commission.

Wow, I have never heard such things. I believe you are gravely mistaken friend. If your denomination teaches this I am glad I am not a part of it. I find it very misguided as you probably see mine.

Dear Pergalicious,

I wouldn't expect you, as a beloved Baptist brother, to agree with me. I don't share your Confession in that regard. ;) so I haven't switched anything. I am nevertheless thrilled to be united with you in the doctrines of Justification by Faith alone, the Holy Trinity, the veracity, infallibility, and inerrancy of the Scriptures, though! :)

Likewise, you are fun to banter with and throw around the theological football.

I would seriously question your denomination about their rigidity in sending people to the ends of the earth, though. I believe that many more folks could be sent were it not for an overly rigid ecclesiology among some small Presbyterian micro-denominations.

While the broad evangelicals are sending unqualified teenagers, I believe we have erred the other direction and some churches I know will only send out pastors or elders when many other sent/qualified/commissioned folks could help out the task of world evangelization in ways fitting with their giftings and qualifications. Our churches have so much knowledge to send abroad, and yet such restrictive hoops to make people jump through before they are seen as being denominationally fit to serve.

Josh,

Section F 1:3 of your denomination's Book of Church Order states that a missionary must be an elder. This seems to be the crux of our difference. We are both, it seems, quite in accordance with our respective confessions and Book of Church order.

And as I have noted the difference between Josh and I and the denomination I am a member of that holds to the Westminster Confession of Faith also. So I am not sure it is a Westminster Distinctive.

The confession was brought up by you Josh as showing a difference between you and your Baptist brother. I know you were discussing things about Evangelism in relation to office but as a member of a Presbyterian Church I wanted to know why you did that in light of my Churches understanding of Evangelism. I also believe parts of your testimony and understanding might be beyond the confession. But I am not sure. I want you to clarify it for me. In addition I believe your definition of evangelism might come up short also. So are we just bantering about words? I am not sure. I asked you to look at post 15. I don't see anything in it that is unbiblical. I could be wrong. I don't know what you think evangelism is. All I know is that you don't think others but specifically ordained men are capable of legitimately performing it.

Please, if you would.... could you point to me your definition of evangelism? Is it not the gospel call or the call of the gospel? I believe that is the term Shaw uses. Evidently my understanding and my denominations understanding isn't unconfessional. Or is it? How did they define the gospel? And what relationship does evangelism have with the gospel? Again maybe, can you show me where only an ordained official of the Church can legitimately share with a non-Chrisitan that they need to be reconciled with Christ? Is your view of evangelism and the gospel call two different things?

One more thing... I don't believe head coverings are discussed in the Confession but the gospel is. So are the effects of it and its relationship in call toward us.

Weren't there others besides the 11 present at Christ's ascension?

Was the commission given at Christ's ascension? If Matthew 28 and Mark 16 are referencing the same giving of said commission, then it's clear Christ's words were to the Apostles:
Mark 16:14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen. 15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
The end of both aforementioned Gospels seem to imply that this commission was given shortly after the resurrection. I believe that after giving this commission that the Lord spent many days with the Apostles teaching them about the things pertaining to the Kingdom of God (i.e. the Church) as referenced in Acts 1:4.

There's a text critical issue on the Mark passage as it belongs to the "longer ending."

I'd also like to throw in the fact that we all know from experience, and which is alluded to in Acts 2:46b ff "They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." This is one text that suggests that the entire church has a crucial role to play in the evangelism process. Most of us can attest to the fact that evangelism is broader than the preaching over the church pulpit. In many if not most cases, it's the work of the laity rubbing shoulders with non-Christians in the world that the Spirit integrally uses to bring people to faith. It seems for every case of someone being converted during a minister's sermon, there are 10 who were converted through a layman's witness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back