Tobacco and Coffee (John Edwards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Among the Foreign Plants we may reckon Tobacco and Coffee: the former is the Product of the Plantations in the West-Indies, the latter grows on little Trees or Shrubs in the Deserts of Arabia, and scarcely any where else: And both are of great use at this Day in the European parts, whether more for Diversion than real Benefit I will not now dispute.

John Edwards, A demonstration of the existence and providence of God, from the contemplation of the visible structure of the greater and the lesser world in two parts, the first shewing the excellent contrivance of the heavens, earth, sea, &c., the second the wonderful formation of the body of man (London: Jonathan Robinson and John Wyat, 1696), 1.6, p. 132 (emphasis added).

This observation is really one to mull over at length. ;) :coffee::detective:

I just finished off a bowl of Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding and came inside to grab a cup of freshly brewed coffee when I sat down and clicked on this. What timing...

I am not sure that I can take John Edwards seriously anymore. When talking about earthquakes in Peru, he says, "as Acosta relates". A theologian who gets his information from Jim Acosta of CNN surely cannot be reliable. :eek:

I often ponder the historical what-ifs of history.

What if chewing coca leaves had become a permitted fad among the European countries after Columbus.

Instead of a noxious cloud of stinky smoke, the Puritan writers might just be sitting behind their desk (with clearer minds) with a ball of leaves in a numb cheek. They might write on the great plague of gluttony and how the coca leaf may aid one in fasting and may prevent sloth. It is non-addictive, and can sustain one's physical activities and relieve fatigue.

Like a veritable gift straight from the heavens.

The Pope even wants in on the act: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-33312962

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back