Tobacco use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChananBachiyr

Puritan Board Freshman
Hopefully I've moved this to the right spot...

I've recently been reading much on pipes, cigars, and alcohol as pertaining to the church and history. I've found that there have been many men of God throughout that have smoked a pipe or cigar and many who loved beer.

I'm all for these things, but I have one question.
I know that the Bible doesn't condemn drinking, but drunkenness; and it doesn't condemn smoking, but addictions...
But how can we do these things to the glory of God? Doesn't it harm the body, which is the temple of God?

I've recently explored with tobacco... as it turns out, I just don't like the taste, so I put it down. And I have loved beer for a long time, so after almost 5 years of abstinence, I know of the liberty in Christ to have a beer with my meals, but I won't allow myself more than one so that I don't get buzzed.
But I've also tried "vaping" and I really love the flavors, but I can't answer the question... how can I do this to the glory of God? Or am I taking that out of context?

Any insight in this matter will be much appreciated! I gladly accept a rebuke if I am in sin... that's why I'm bringing this up... I don't want to be in sin with these liberties.

The potential harm to your body and the trap of addiction would be the primary potential problems. More than a few good folks enjoy a good stogie or bowl of tobacco which isn't a problem in and of itself, if you aren't trapped or spending money you can't afford to lose. I'd also be concerned about someone using tobacco for affect -- do something noteworthy if you want to be noticed.

If you're using it in moderation, then you won't be hurting your body. Think of it like a Big Mac. If you do it all the time, and you lose all self-control, then you're in sin, and have some repenting to do. Otherwise, it is fine to enjoy.

We glorify God when we enjoy the good things he has given. Learning to enjoy the different notes produced by different tobaccos is a way of exploring God's creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back