Today's Text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
I was just curious what text(s) you heard preached from today?

Today, I heard a sermon about one of my favorite topics of late, worship. The text was the beginning of Exodus 3. I've always especially loved this particular verse with regard to worship:

Exo 3:5 And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.

Its good that we can come boldly before the throne of grace (Heb 4:16), but its also good to remember the reverence as you're approaching.

[bible] 1 Peter 1:3[/bible]

Our sermon in a nutshell: God, the author of salvation, has brought us, in his abundant mercy, to Himself. Our certain hope is grounded on the spotless righteousness of Christ, demonstrated in the resurrection, and made fast because of the sovereign grace of God.

Dr. Richard Pratt is our Interim Senior Minister and has been preaching on 1 Corinthians. Today he preached from chapter 9. A convicting sermon on spreading the Gospel.

The book being preached on of late is Acts.

I was just curious what text(s) you heard preached from today?
Today's passage was Acts 17:1-15.

This was interesting, I thought! Undoubtedly all you pastoral-types will know this, but I didn't:

6 When they did not find them, they began dragging Jason and some brethren before the city authorities... (italics mine)

According to Dr. Cecil, the word translated as "city authorities" or "city officials" (depending upon which translation one is reading) was for a long time a wholly unknown word, and the translators had to guess at the meaning, as it wasn't found anywhere else but in the book of Acts.

This was used as a mallet by those who would cast doubt on the veracity of the Scriptures, as they insisted it meant Luke had just made up a word.

Until archaeological excavations uncovered sixteen uses of the word, including one carved on the city gate of Thessalonica. Turns out it was a word unique to that city, used to signify its city's magistrates.

So, far from disproving the Bible's veracity, it proves nigh unto conclusively that Luke and company were in Thessalonica, as that's the only way he'd ever come across that particular word.

As Dr. Cecil said as well, I love stuff like that. ;^)

He also suggested that in verse 9, where Jason and some other brethren put up a pledge or made a bond to those same magistrates, is found the answer to 1 Thessalonians 2:18, when Paul wrote to those he'd met on that trip: "For we wanted to come to you--I, Paul, more than once--and yet Satan hindered us." His theory is that Jason paid a bond to pledge that Paul would leave and not return to Thessalonica, and Paul naturally honored that pledge.

Of course the sermon was mostly theological commentary, but since y'all are likely familiar with the sort of thing he preached on, I thought I'd mention a couple of points a few of y'all might not have heard.

Matthew 6:13b --the doxology of the Lord's Prayer. We heard a short defense of its presence in the Lord's prayer, and then an explanation of it's utility: it gives us an opportunity to affirm our faith (spelled out in connection with kingdom, power and glory) and it teaches us to use arguments in prayer (again spelled out in connection with kingdom, power and glory, so that the argument we use in prayer are not self-centred, but rather glorifying to God).

This was used as a mallet by those who would cast doubt on the veracity of the Scriptures, as they insisted it meant Luke had just made up a word.

Until archaeological excavations uncovered sixteen uses of the word, including one carved on the city gate of Thessalonica. Turns out it was a word unique to that city, used to signify its city's magistrates.

So, far from disproving the Bible's veracity, it proves nigh unto conclusively that Luke and company were in Thessalonica, as that's the only way he'd ever come across that particular word.
That's neat.

Dr. Richard Pratt is our Interim Senior Minister and has been preaching on 1 Corinthians. Today he preached from chapter 9. A convicting sermon on spreading the Gospel.
That's pretty neat having Dr. Pratt as an Interim minister! Great topic.

Matthew 6:13b --the doxology of the Lord's Prayer. We heard a short defense of its presence in the Lord's prayer, and then an explanation of it's utility: it gives us an opportunity to affirm our faith (spelled out in connection with kingdom, power and glory) and it teaches us to use arguments in prayer (again spelled out in connection with kingdom, power and glory, so that the argument we use in prayer are not self-centred, but rather glorifying to God).
That sound like a good, practical sermon.

Aw, yes the doxology of the Lord's Prayer. I remember it well. I'm reminded of my youth, growing in an ecumenical Methodist church. We went to an ecumenical service, led by different church leaders, the service primarily a format (catholic, I presume), that I was unfamiliar with. It was hard to know what to do during the service, but finally they got to a part of the service that I felt was home territory, the Lord's prayer. That's something I could participate in whole-heartedly. Little did I know the catholic version chopped off that last part, as did everybody else in the room...except me.:lol:

Our sermon in a nutshell: God, the author of salvation, has brought us, in his abundant mercy, to Himself. Our certain hope is grounded on the spotless righteousness of Christ, demonstrated in the resurrection, and made fast because of the sovereign grace of God.
:amen:

We heard a sermon from 1 John 4:12-16, as BJ Gorrell continues to preach through the Book of 1 John.

By the way, during the sermon, he said that he thinks the best commentary on 1 John is that by Robert Law. Anybody heard of him?

We had a missionary speaker this morning. His sermon was from I Corithians 10 "Warnings from History"
Interesting topic.

<putting him on the spot>
Can you recall one of the warnings he talked about?​
</putting him on the spot>

I didn't take notes but as I recall---
The Outline was:
I. Watch Your Head (verses 1-5).
II. Watch Your Heart (verses 6-10).
It was this section of the sermon where most of the "warnings" came in. The warnings were in the several areas of "evil desires" (v. 6) "idolatry" (v. 7) and "immorality" (v.8).
III. Watching for the Way of Escape (verses 11-13).

Rev. Kiewiet (a missionary to Australia) used the account of Isreal's wilderness wanderings in Numbers 20:22-21:9 as a backdrop for this text in I Corinthians, and tied it together very nicely.

I didn't take notes but as I recall---
The Outline was:
I. Watch Your Head (verses 1-5).
II. Watch Your Heart (verses 6-10).
It was this section of the sermon where most of the "warnings" came in. The warnings were in the several areas of "evil desires" (v. 6) "idolatry" (v. 7) and "immorality" (v.8).
III. Watching for the Way of Escape (verses 11-13).

Rev. Kiewiet (a missionary to Australia) used the account of Isreal's wilderness wanderings in Numbers 20:22-21:9 as a backdrop for this text in I Corinthians, and tied it together very nicely.
Excellent job, especially without the notes.

Num 21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

What an wonderful picture of salvation. Was it Spurgeon who preached the sermon "Look and Live"? I'll bet a lot of folks back then thought the same way about the serpents that people think today about salvation - "No, that's too easy! Just look at the serpent? There must be more I've gotta do..."

Kidding aside, I think this is a good idea for a thread. Thanks, Bob.
It's interesting to hear what messages people hear on the Lord's day. I've heard the word of God described as a diamond, with so much beauty go be observed from each side. Its interesting to hear so many neat truths proclaimed.

Excellent job, especially without the notes.

Num 21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

What an wonderful picture of salvation. Was it Spurgeon who preached the sermon "Look and Live"? I'll bet a lot of folks back then thought the same way about the serpents that people think today about salvation - "No, that's too easy! Just look at the serpent? There must be more I've gotta do..."

I think so. Didn't Spurgeon use the verse in Isaiah "Look to Me all ye ends of the earth and live" as a tie in to the Numbers text in that sermon, or am I thinking of a different sermon? I've read a few Spurgeon sermons, so I might be confusing them, but as I recall the sermon you mentioned is very well done. Very convicting, and in many ways timelessly appropriate!:2cents:

I listened to myself (!) preach on Luke 6:20-26 in the morning and Matthew 6:25-26 in the afternoon.

Yes, great idea for a thread.

I preached a simple message on Luke 16, the rich man and Lazarus, to a very poor and uneducated congregation. Basically, I made sure they got the main points. 14 languages represented...YIKES!

Yes, great idea for a thread.

I preached a simple message on Luke 16, the rich man and Lazarus, to a very poor and uneducated congregation. Basically, I made sure they got the main points. 14 languages represented...YIKES!
14 languages? YIKES, indeed. How many ways can it be said, there's a great gulf that can't be crossed...at least 14?

blhowes;

14 languages? YIKES, indeed. How many ways can it be said, there's a great gulf that can't be crossed...at least 14?

Praise God that He can speak to the hearts of men in any language...

Our pastor taught out of Genesis 15:9-21 re: God's Covenant with Abram and compared the deep sleep God brought upon Abram with the deep sleep God brought upon Adam in the garden, as well as the deep sleep of Jacob when he dreamt of the ladder coming down from Heaven--and how all of them show us God made the covenant through no help of man, Christ coming down the ladder not Jacob climbing up the ladder) and in conclusion Salvation comes from God alone...and man contributes nothing...other than his own sinfulness..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back