Tongues and the Demonic

Are those who speak in tongues speaking from the Devil?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CalvinandHodges

Puritan Board Junior
Hi:

Is it lawful to point out that if one is speaking in tongues - that he/she is actually speaking the words of the Devil?

Why or Why not?

Tongues may just be carnal babbling. Are all sin spoken words of the Devil?

(Jas 1:14) But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

(Jas 1:15) Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

I don't think so. When man sins it comes from his own heart. Just my humble opinion

From where would you be pointing out that anyone who speaks in tongues is speaking words from the Devil? :confused: I've never heard this accusation before. I know that Jesus says to stay away from vain babbling or repetitions (Matthew 6:7) which is what ultimately I think people who claim to "speak in tongues" but do not really have the gift would be guilty of engaging in, but that what they are uttering is demonic, i've never heard before. I'd think for most people who speak in tongues without really having the gift, it's a matter of their own self-deception, ignorance or misunderstanding of the scriptures.

They are making it up in there own carnal minds. It is of the flesh totally. It is conforming to what they are being taught makes you spiritual. It is the saddest thing. :(

I vote "No" because "Maybe" doesn't technically fit my opinion. Better suited for me would be "Perhaps Sometimes." Usually it (ecstatic utterances) is just self-induced.

I can think of a few that weren't speaking words of the devil: Paul, Peter etc.

The examples we have in the Bible of the devil speaking words through someone were quite understandable to those who heard them, not babblings.

From where would you be pointing out that anyone who speaks in tongues is speaking words from the Devil? :confused: I've never heard this accusation before. I know that Jesus says to stay away from vain babbling or repetitions (Matthew 6:7) which is what ultimately I think people who claim to "speak in tongues" but do not really have the gift would be guilty of engaging in, but that what they are uttering is demonic, i've never heard before. I'd think for most people who speak in tongues without really having the gift, it's a matter of their own self-deception, ignorance or misunderstanding of the scriptures.

Hi:

The presupposition would be that Tongues, Prophecy etc... are revelatory gifts given to the Apostles and the 1st Century Church in order to communicate Divine Revelation. Since we have all that we need to know concerning what God has done for us, and what duty God requires of man, then these revelatory gifts have ended.

Consequently, someone claiming to add new Divine Revelation to the Word of God, Rev. 22:18,19, is not speaking from the Spirit of God, but, either his own (sinful) spirit, or an unclean spirit. This one is doing if he/she claims to be speaking in tongues, or, delivering Divine Prophetic Revelation akin to the Scriptures. Revelation 22:18,19 reads:

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

That is the argument as I understand it.

Blessings,

Rob

I vote "No" because "Maybe" doesn't technically fit my opinion. Better suited for me would be "Perhaps Sometimes." Usually it (ecstatic utterances) is just self-induced.

I agree with this statement (and voted likewise).

I would also argue that they are making it up as they go along, and maybe it sometimes is demonic.

Tongues may just be carnal babbling. Are all sin spoken words of the Devil?

(Jas 1:14) But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

(Jas 1:15) Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

I mostly agree brother, the flesh can do enough harm by itself, yet I think it’s important to keep in mind also other Words from the Apostle

And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. James 3:6

But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. James 3:14-15

emphasis mine

From a good sermon that I heard about tongue-speaking, Rev. John Greer pointed out that in the end there are three possibilities behind the phenomenon of glossolalia. Those who practise tougue may be:

1. Deluding themselves
2. Hallucinating
3. Deceived by the Devil

Thus, I say maybe. The fact that the practice is actually quite addictive (to many who are in it) should be sufficient to cause us to doubt of its authenticity. Is reading the Bible, or fasting, or praying addictive?

I voted No, since genuine tongues, by Scriptural definition, cannot be from the Devil.

Not to be contentious, and am welcoming correction, but I'd think that anyone voting otherwise should be careful they are not blaspheming the work of the Holy Spirit.

I think we have to be careful embracing a full blown cessationism. I certainly don't believe in the use of tongues and prophesy the way the modern charismatic movement has used it but I really don't believe the arguments cessationistic guys have put forth either. If someone claims to have these gifts they should be held to the accountability the bible gives for them. That being said...I put maybe.

I voted No, since genuine tongues, by Scriptural definition, cannot be from the Devil.

Not to be contentious, and am welcoming correction, but I'd think that anyone voting otherwise should be careful they are not blaspheming the work of the Holy Spirit.

If the manifestations were "genuine" then of course they would not be demonic, but throughout history sects have come up with all sorts of weird and deviant practices claiming that they are works of the spirit and such a defence should never stop such practices being condemed in the strongest terms.

All we can do is to measure any claims by the apostolic revelations we have received in the full knoweldge that God is soverign with nothing being beyond his power if his will desires such.

I think that there is all the difference in the world between someone in wonder, lost in the contemplation of the glory of God and outlandish self taught bablings that seek to replace biblical authority.

These are not evil people, these are not people that are demon possessed these are just people trying to get close to God and work themselves up into a state due to a wrong understanding of scripture.

I've seen and heard of some pretty weird things in this regard, some of which can't seem to be explained without reference to the supernatural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back