Tongues as a private prayer language

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I don't have a "private prayer language?" Because I think God understands English.
Besides, the gift of tongues really needs to be defined. What do you mean when you say the gift of tongues? Ecstatic utterances like Pentecostals, Mormons, Muslims, and many cults? Or speaking in other known languages in order to spread the gospel and edify the body, which cannot be "initiated" by man?

I think that the gift of tongues has been widely abused on both sides... it's been thrown around and thrown out by just about everyone... but when you are alone and you are communing with God just you and Him and you are speaking your heart sometimes the Holy Spirit yearns within you and it longs to burst free and when it does it's beautiful and indescribable. And very very private.
Why should that be pounced on and torn to shreds like it's a piece of garbage? did you read the OP? this man was not flashing it about like some Benny Hinn, he was sharing with her. Just because he does things you don't do or wouldn't even consider ya'll pounce.

I think that the gift of tongues has been widely abused on both sides... it's been thrown around and thrown out by just about everyone... but when you are alone and you are communing with God just you and Him and you are speaking your heart sometimes the Holy Spirit yearns within you and it longs to burst free and when it does it's beautiful and indescribable. And very very private.
Why should that be pounced on and torn to shreds like it's a piece of garbage? did you read the OP? this man was not flashing it about like some Benny Hinn, he was sharing with her. Just because he does things you don't do or wouldn't even consider ya'll pounce.

Honor, you will find this to be a strongly cessationist board. And when I say cessationist, this includes a full rejection of any sort of tongues extant within the post-apostolic church - public or private.

This complete rejection causes a presupposition of deep skepticism concerning the verity of any contemporary tongues experience, public or private - from any source, no matter how reliable.

In short, the reasoning goes, the praxis of modern tongues, public or private are at least self-deception, if not something more sinister.

I am not convinced of this viewpoint but I am not a hyper-cessationist, either.

If you have been told that the Holy Spirit does this , and the person explained to you that Romans 8 teaches this, you have been mislead.
Cessationism Resources
26Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

27And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
This passage has nothing to do with any biblical tongue, whatsoever.
groanings which cannot be uttered.

If you have been told that the Holy Spirit does this , and the person explained to you that Romans 8 teaches this, you have been mislead.
Cessationism Resources
26Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

27And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
This passage has nothing to do with any biblical tongue, whatsoever.
groanings which cannot be uttered.

Actually I wasn't told anything. I had only read about tongues in the Bible.

-----Added 12/29/2008 at 08:45:20 EST-----

Honor, you will find this to be a strongly cessationist board. And when I say cessationist, this includes a full rejection of any sort of tongues extant within the post-apostolic church - public or private.

This complete rejection causes a presupposition of deep skepticism concerning the verity of any contemporary tongues experience, public or private - from any source, no matter how reliable.

In short, the reasoning goes, the praxis of modern tongues, public or private are at least self-deception, if not something more sinister.

ok... thanks for the heads up... when you say cessationist you mean cessation of all the gifts of the Spirit?

Cessationism, in Christian theology, is the view that the miraculous gifts of the Spirit, such as healing, tongues, and prophetic revelation, pertained to the apostolic era only, served a purpose that was unique to establishing the early church, and passed away before the canon of Scripture was closed. It is contrasted with continuationism, which is the view that the miraculous gifts are normative, have not ceased, and are available for the believer today.

from here

Take a look at the link articles, pretty good - pro and con.

Hyper-cessationist. :think:

This reminds me of a speech I once heard from Antoni Scalia where he was decrying the modern desire for "moderate" judges. He asked a telling question: What is a "moderate" interpretation of a law? That is to say that, if it is the job of a judge to merely interpret the law, then how can a judge be "moderate" in its intrepretation?

If particular offices are no longer needed by the Church and the charismatic gifts that accomponied those offices then there is nothing "hyper" about noting this. I don't hedge my bets with truth.

And this board is clear about not advocating for views that are contra- the confessions. I'm unapologetic in shutting down discussion on this. Let the ignorant and those who might be led astray by heterodoxy be led astray elsewhere. The modern charismatic movement is a return to pagan forms of religion. The pagans need to do all the babbling and talking for their gods because their gods are dumb and mute.

Our God speaks and His Word is living and active. It is a complete misapplication of the text in the OP to assume this is private prayer language. Romans 8 fleshes out what the groaning is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back