Took a picture of an owl this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constantlyreforming

Puritan Board Sophomore
on the way to work. It was 80-90 feet off the road and I was on the opposite side. SO overall I was around 120 feet away. It's a bit grainy resolution wise, but I had my zoom completely maxed out to get the picture and it was low-light outside as we had rain moving in.

It was sitting almost 2 feet tall. I believe it is a Great Grey Owl

3-29-12.jpg

My sons came upon an injured Owl and they took it to a rescue. Sadly it perished. It was too injured. They sure are magnificent creatures.

foundinjuredOwl.jpg

FoundOwl.jpg

JoshandOwl.jpg

Injuredowl2.jpg

DanielandInjuredowltheyfound.jpg

Injuredowl.jpg

Many times while I'm up late studying, an owl will perch on the roof peak not 20 feet from me (outside of course) and begin his song. His song reminds me to pray for wisdom while I study.

Thanks for the great pics, guys.

So beautiful! I've always loved owls and photos of them. Wonder if the owl was injured or if it had ingested some chemical on a plant that made it ill. Remember the book Silent Spring by Rachel Carson that warned us of the harm of chemicals on our fowl and wildlife. In this area I never see what we called 'lightning bugs', or glow worms anymore and they too are a beautiful addition at twilight.

Last edited:
Awesome bird, the owl. Elegant, sleek, and as effective a predator as it is beautiful.

I don't know exactly how it's going to work in the new heaven and new earth, but I'd like to (if possible) have an owl and a wolverine for pets.

Great pictures. We have a little screech owl that lives in a dead tree in the backyard. He/she is really neat to watch, and makes no sound when it flies.

Great photo, and, it seems, taken with skill in the light of the circumstances.

I'm doing a little night driving to help out a friend and cover 250 miles a night. Every night I pass deer, foxes (particularly in urban areas), rabbits, mice, rats and badgers. Actually I spend more time avoiding them as they have no road sense. Without doubt the most impressive sight in the last fortnight has been a white barn owl in full flight, mouse in its claws, flying parallel with my van for about 1/10th of a mile. Beautiful, but no camera!

It is difficult to get a good picture. The owl stared at me for a while, and then a car drove by and it flew away. I wish I had taken a picture of it in flight. I pass that area every day so hopefully I'll get another shot.

agree about the Owl as a pet in heaven.

You know, Ethan, looking at the picture a little more, it's almost as if the owl were posing for you, as if to say "Yeah.. I'm pretty.... take the shot."

Either that or it was contemplating you for dinner :D

Great picture. Just be warned that should you approach too close to nesting owls, they will attack.

Owls are pretty fearless. At our old house one came through the cat door after Scruffy-the-Kitten seeking dinner. Its pretty surreal to come from the bedroom and have your wife say "There is an owl sitting on the curtain rod in the kitchen, go deal with it. Yes, I said OWL."

Owls are pretty fearless. At our old house one came through the cat door after Scruffy-the-Kitten seeking dinner. Its pretty surreal to come from the bedroom and have your wife say "There is an owl sitting on the curtain rod in the kitchen, go deal with it. Yes, I said OWL."

Reminds me of an occasion a few years ago where an eagle owl, slightly larger than the great grey, took up residence at St Paul’s cathedral. It gained notoriety by dinning regularly on the local cat and small dog populations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back