Top 10 Metal Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scot

Puritan Board Sophomore
Last month was metal month on VH1. They had a countdown of the 40 greatest metal songs (in their opinion). Here's the top 10.

10. Motorhead - Ace of Spades
9. Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
8. Slayer - Reign in Blood
7. Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
6. Kiss - Detriot Rock City
5. Judas Priest - You've Got Another Thing Coming
4. AC/DC - Back In Black
3. Metallica - Master of Puppets
2. Guns n' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
1. Black Sabbath - Iron Man

Some of these, I would consider hard rock rather than metal.

Any metalheads (or former metalheads) here have a different top ten? Let's see it.

Well everyone has their favorites, but it's hard to argue with that list. Some of the artists might argue with their inclusion. AC/DC never considered themselves metal.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
I'm sure AC/DC stands for Alternate Current / Direct Current and not Anti-Christ / Devil's Children
:candle:

I think the story goes that the Young brothers saw it on their sister's sewing machine.

I think the story goes that the Young brothers saw it on their sister's sewing machine.

That's correct.

Don't forget "Knights In Satan's Service" (KISS). :lol:

Yeah what exactly makes a song heavy metal...
I mean what is the official definition?

It seems like it is like...obscenity...you just know it when you happen upon it

and is Ted Nugent's Stranglehold allowed on these lists of good rock tunes? I sure dont seem to tire of it. Now Ted I might eventually tire of.

I think Ted Nugent and Led Zeppelin are as about as 'hard rock' as I want to get...

I never really liked any of those bands Dan listed... it's too nihilistic, and the lyrics are not exactly redeeming morally either.

Not in any certain order:

1. Iron Maiden - Powerslave
2. Sabbath - Into the Void
3. Slayer - Reign in Blood (The whole album)
4. Iron Maiden - Prodical Son
5. Priest - Beyond the Realms of Death
6. King Diamond - Funeral/Arrival
7. Dio - The Last in Line
8. Priest - Before the dawn
9. Tourniquet - Tears of Korah
10. The Crucified - The Pit

Originally posted by Scot
lyrics are not exactly redeeming morally either.

What about Cat Scratch Fever?

nevermind... none of Zeppelin and Nugent's stuff are morally redeeming either... it's thinly-veiled sexual innuendo... Oh well! I guess I can't play Whole Lotta Love on my stereo anymore where they have that cool guitar bit towards the end.

I shot myself in the foot.
;)

nevermind... none of Zeppelin and Nugent's stuff are morally redeeming either... it's thinly-veiled sexual innuendo... Oh well! I guess I can't play Whole Lotta Love on my stereo anymore where they have that cool guitar bit towards the end.

I shot myself in the foot.

:lol:

3. Slayer - Reign in Blood (The whole album)

That album is mind-blowing. I remember getting it when I was 14. I couldn't believe my ears.

I have a cassette copy signed by Dave Lombardo.

Powerslave is awesome too.

Originally posted by fivepointcalvinist
are you guys not convicted for listening to saliently satanic music? king diamond? iron maiden? do they glorify God?

:down:

Some "metal" is open to various intrepretations and is no more "satanic" than most pop music, and in many cases far less so. But I'd take exception to Slayer and many other acts and songs and say that there are far better ways of redeeming the time than listening to any of it, even more "Christian" groups.

Matthew,

Yes, I do have convictions about what music I listen to. There is some King Diamond that I just wont listen to for obvious reasons. Other material of his I think is perfectly fine.

When you refer to Iron Maiden as "satanic", what do you mean? Do you believe they practice satanic rituals and have pledged their souls to the service of satan, or do you mean they are children of satan like all unregenerate people are who know not Christ?

Mike

are you guys not convicted for listening to saliently satanic music? king diamond? iron maiden? do they glorify God?

Aces High was satanic?

:ditto:

One of my favorite Rock plays is on the Live Album 'The Song Remains the Same' by Zeppelin. I love the Title cut which runs into Rain Song and then Dazed and Confused. I love song No Quarter also. It may not be Metal but It is much better. It is like old wine.

Phil 4:8 ¶ Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

mike, when i refer to it being satanic im using the term to generalize the genre of music and its image and also, like you presented, that they are the unregenerate who presently and possibly never will have a love for Christ. i think music, tv, movies etc. are forms of entertainment we should use with wise discretion as we are subjecting our minds to things the have great influence on our behavior and lifestyle. i cannot personally justify in my mind how it would be okay to listen to music that does not glorify God, and slayer and the like certainly do not. this does not mean i have not had my own run ins of course. i loved the song "terrible lie" by NIN until i realized what the song was about! after that i immediately removed his music from my collection and have not returned to it. funny thing is, i was still in the world and was convicted even then! ultimately, if you can prove to yourself or anyone else that king diamond etc glorifies the Lord, have at it. otherwise, i believe it prudent to avoid that form or any other form of music that detracts from our minds being imbued with thoughts of His goodness...:2cents:

Originally posted by Presbyrino

Aces High was satanic?

were they mentioned in the thread? (never heard of them)

Aces High is a Iron Maiden tune about fighter pilots. Hardly satanic.

We could also bring up the UFC, tobacco, drinking, etc., etc., etc. but I hope we don't go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back