Top 25 Books of ALL TIME!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritAndTruth

Puritan Board Freshman
Ok, folks, I've been away for a while-- it was deliberate, as this place is really addicting!!!

Anyway, we're just about to open up our bookstore at our church, and, while it is fairly comprehensive, there are lots of "baby Christians" at our church, so I doubt we'll be plugging "the heavy stuff" right off the bat. Having said that, we want CORE, staple items to be the most prominently featured-- divines or contemporary-- whatever kicked open some of the barn doors to your faith, greatly increased your understanding of Scripture, and brought heretofore unseen personal intimacy and love for Jesus Christ...

Or, to ask another way, if you were stranded on a desert island, and could only have 25 books, besides the Bible, what would they be?

In other words, what would you consider to be the most important, influential, and 'breakthrough' books that you have read that you would consider absolutely essential for your Christian library?

Try to remember your first five years (or so) as a Christian, and look back at what you might recommend that floored you at the time. Please, try to limit the list to 25 items!!!!!

DISCLAIMER 1: Dr. Matt suggested that I search the board, and while I found some great stuff that comes close to answering this question, I couldn't quite find this answer. Please don't flame me too bad if I overlooked it!!!

DISCLAIMER 2: I also am acutely aware that this question is almost unfairly broad-- one might ask, "Top 25 books on what topic?" Please just bear with me, and try to come up with a suitable list.

Thanks in advance...

In His Service,

Alex

My list would be:

1. The Life, Walk and Triumph of Faith by William Romaine
2. Holiness by J C Ryle
3. The Mortification of Sin by John Owen or here.
4. The Poor Man's Morning & Evening Portions by Robert Hawker
5. The Lord's Prayer by Thomas Watson
6. The Ten Commandments by Thomas Watson
7. Body of Divinity by Thomas Watson
8. The Path of True Godliness by William Teellinck
9. We and Our Children by Professor Hanko
10. Spiritual Desertion by Gisbertus Voetius & Johannes Hoornbeeck
11. The Marks of God's Children by Jean Taffin
12. The Lord's Day by Joseph Pipa

The above are all clear, simple and practical. Most are also very devotional. :)

Last edited:
I would have to add 2 of the books that got me started in the Reformed path,
"What is Reformed Theology" by RC Sproul (formerly when I bought is Grace Unknown), & "Desiring God" by John Piper. I would have both "Desiring God" & "Pleasures of God".
Good for beginners.

Argh... I am a bit of a baby in the Christian book reading area. I'm not too good with reading, I tend to plod through books quite slowly.

One book that I'd have to put in here is "The Godly Man's Picture" by Thomas Watson. I think that everybody should read it.

These are the first ten that came to mind when considering the question.

1. The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan.

2. Redemption Accomplished and Applied by John Murray.

3. Tulip: The Five Points of Calvinism in Light of The Scriptures by Duane Spencer

4. What is Reformed Theology? ( Formerly Grace Unknown) by R.C. Sproul.

5. Overcoming Sin and Temptation (3 Works by John Owen on Sin and Temptation).

6. Scripture Alone: Exploring the Bibles Accuracy, Authority and Authenticity by James White.

7. The Doctrine of Justification by James Buchanan.

8. The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul.

9. A New Systematic Theology Of The Christian Faith by Robert L. Reymond.

10. A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life by J.I. Packer.

Try to remember your first five years (or so) as a Christian, and look back at what you might recommend that floored you at the time.

In no particular order....

The Sovereignty of God - A.W. Pink
What is Reformed Theology - R.C. Sproul
Bondage of the Will - Martin Luther
The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination - Lorraine Boettner
All of Grace - C.H. Spurgeon
An Antidote Against Arminianism - Christopher Ness
A Sure Guide to Heaven - Joseph Alleine
Life by His Death - John Owen (an easy to read version of Death of Death in the Death of Christ)
Right with God - John Blanchard
Advice for Seekers - C.H. Spurgeon
A Price for a People - Tom Wells
The Christian Following Christ as Lord - William Webster
Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God - Jonathan Edwards
Fair Sunshine - Jock Purves
Today's Gospel: Authentic or Synthetic - Walter Chantry
Sermons of Robert Murry M'Cheyne - Robert Murry M'Cheyne
Signs of the Apostles - Walter Chantry
What's in the Bible - R.C. Sproul & Robert Wolgemuth
The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended & Documented - Steele, Thomas & Quinn
Are Five Points Enough? The Ten Points of Calvinism - Leonard J. Coppes

Oh, and here's a good study for the new christian ;)

http://scripturetruths5.tripod.com/gracestudy.html
http://www.monergism.com/directory/link_category/Bible-Study/Reformed-Distinctives/Grace-Studies/

Hi Alex,

A few books that I believe are good for newer Christians on some important biblical topics besides the ones already mentioned are:

1) The Sovereignty of God by A.W. Pink (Baker Books ed.)
2) Putting Amazing Back into Grace by Michael Horton
3) The Doctrines of Grace by James Boice and Philip Ryken
4) According to Plan by Graeme Goldsworthy
5) Always Ready by Greg Bahnsen

These are not hard reads and help one to grasp many of the important principles/concepts for books that are more in-depth.

4. What is Reformed Theology? ( Formerly Grace Unknown) by R.C. Sproul.

:up: For the new Christian, I agree.

The Bondage of the Will by Martin Luther.
The Institutes of the Christian Religion by Calvin
Confessions by St. Augustine

Thanks again to all who have responded so far-- I hope we get more feedback on this, as it really requires a lot of discipline to curtail the selection to just 25--- and yet, it's relatively easy to come up with a "Top 5" or "Top 10"...

Hmmmmm....

Anyway, Most of your responses hit close to home: of course, Pilgrim's Progress is huge, but I only discovered that after I was a Christian 3 years. My buddy (who moved away, and now goes to Briarwood Church in Birmingham, Alabama, gave me my first "theology" book. It was Grace Unknown, by R.C. Sproul. The books that are harder to read (but tend to provide much richer content-- "center-cut filet mignons", as one of our elders puts them), are the Puritan books. My favorite is The Reformed Pastor, by Richard Baxter. Even though I'm not a pastor, the godly counsel he leaves for living in a way befitting a Christian applies to us ALL, not just pastors. Plus, the things he warns against are unbelievably relevant today-- probably moreso than when he wrote it in the early 1600's. The Godly Man's Picture (Watson) is not far behind. The Evil of Evils: The Exceeding Sinfulness of Sin by Jeremiah Burroughs ranks highly, and needs to be FAR more known in today's "Carnal Christian" atmosphere.

I'm a tad surprised no one brought up Knowing God, by J. I. Packer. That one's a keeper, in a BIG way. I love it because it guages "spirit" and "truth" (the balance of which I'm pretty big on, as you can probably tell from my handle) better than any other contemporary author, in my opinion.

No-brainers mentioned, so far, including above:
Reymond's A New Systematic Theology Of The Christian Faith
Luther's Bondage of the Will
Calvin's Institutes...

Lots more I haven't read, but know I need to-- I've read dribs and drabs of people like A.W. Pink's stuff, and J. C. Ryle-- that keeps coming up on everyone's fave lists....

There are others that I would include (The Power of Prayer, by R. A. Torrey, for example), and many others-- but I already know MY staple books-- The point here is, I want to hear yours!!!

I'd love to hear more. This is great---really... Thanks again, and keep 'em coming!!!

Anyone else want to chime in?

Here's one I've found most energizing, and that would be especially helpful for baby Christians. It is a great example of how understanding the sovereignty of God should radically alter lives, and an illustration of how reflection and meditation upon good doctrine will produce hearty practice and good works.

In the Redeemer's Hands by Paul David Tripp.

It's very discipleship oriented and great for laity to read. I'll be using it in the fall to disciple a couple of younger college students as part of my work to establish an discipleship-oriented midweek group for college students at my church (with me under direct care and supervision of my teaching elder and the session in general for this role).

Christianity and Liberalism (1923) by J. Gresham Machen (1881-1937)
How to Barbecue Mini-Dougnuts Without Them Falling Between the Bars on the Grill by Bill "Baptist in Crisis" Brown

Both of these are must-haves.

Except for the obvious books already noted, I would add
Freedom of the Will by Jonathan Edwards
A Treatise on Regeneration by Peter Van Mastricht
Biblical Theology by Geerhardus Vos
Perhaps also Chosen By God, Willing to Believe, and Knowing Scripture by R.C. Sproul

Here's one I've found most energizing, and that would be especially helpful for baby Christians. It is a great example of how understanding the sovereignty of God should radically alter lives, and an illustration of how reflection and meditation upon good doctrine will produce hearty practice and good works.

In the Redeemer's Hands by Paul David Tripp.

It's very discipleship oriented and great for laity to read. I'll be using it in the fall to disciple a couple of younger college students as part of my work to establish an discipleship-oriented midweek group for college students at my church (with me under direct care and supervision of my teaching elder and the session in general for this role).

Sounds great, T, thanks. I'll check it out. It's always great when God's truth is actually PERCEIVED as relevant for certain applications for those new in the faith, even though we all know God's Word is ALWAYS relevant (whether we "perceive" it that way, or not) ;)

If it wasn't said already, The Westminster Standards (full Scottish text of course ;) ) should be near the top of the list.

• holiness ryle,
  • everyday talk,
  • matt henry's commentary,
  • naves topical,
  • hendrikson's commentary set (One item ;)),
  • 1689 confession waldron,
  • reformed doctrine of predestination boettner
  • foxes book of martyrs
  • biography of M'Cheyne bonar
  • Strong's concordance

Great question! Here's a top 25 off the top of my head and in no particular order.

1. Collected Works of the Apostolic, Ante-Nicene, and Nicene Fathers
2. Calvin, Collected Writings
3. Aquinas, Summa Theologica
4. New International Commentary of the Old and New Testaments
5. Greek New Testament and Hebrew Old Testament
6. Collected Works of Shakespeare
7. The Western Heritage by Kagan, Ozment, & Turner
8. Dante, The Commedia
9. Dostoevsky, Collected Works
10. Homer, Iliad & Odyssey
12. Virgil, Aeneid
13. Melville, Moby-Dick
14. Darwin, Origin of the Species
15. The Koran
16. Schaff's Church History
17. Norton Anthology of English Literature
18. Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
19. Sophocles, The Oedipus Cycle
20. Aeschylus, The Oresteia and Prometheus Bound
21. Milton, Paradise Lost
22. Chaucer, Canterbury Tales
23. Beowulf
24. Ovid, Metamorphoses
25. Collected Works of William Faulkner

Here are a few more that I would add to the list...

1. The Holy Spirit, by A.W. Pink
2. The Life and Labours of Daniel Baker, by William M. Maker
3. Messiah the Prince, by William Symington
4. Dabney's Discussions, by Sprinkle Publications

Great question! Here's a top 25 off the top of my head and in no particular order.

1. Collected Works of the Apostolic, Ante-Nicene, and Nicene Fathers
2. Calvin, Collected Writings
3. Aquinas, Summa Theologica
4. New International Commentary of the Old and New Testaments
5. Greek New Testament and Hebrew Old Testament
6. Collected Works of Shakespeare
7. The Western Heritage by Kagan, Ozment, & Turner
8. Dante, The Commedia
9. Dostoevsky, Collected Works
10. Homer, Iliad & Odyssey
12. Virgil, Aeneid
13. Melville, Moby-Dick
14. Darwin, Origin of the Species
15. The Koran
16. Schaff's Church History
17. Norton Anthology of English Literature
18. Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
19. Sophocles, The Oedipus Cycle
20. Aeschylus, The Oresteia and Prometheus Bound
21. Milton, Paradise Lost
22. Chaucer, Canterbury Tales
23. Beowulf
24. Ovid, Metamorphoses
25. Collected Works of William Faulkner

You've posted some great classical literature Paul, but would you recommend all of these for a church's bookstore, particularly for new Christians seeking to grow in their faith?

Many great books have been recommended here. I have been racking my brain to remember the books I read when I was a new Christian and some of the books I would recommend:
Putting Amazing Back into Grace by Horton
The Law and the Gospel by Ernst Reisinger
Anything by Packer and Sproul, particularly Knowing God.
Another author who should be recommended is C.S. Lewis. He helped more than any other writer when I was a new Christian.
Chersterton's Orthodoxy is another good book.
A.W. Tozer's book The Pursuit of God is simply awesome.
A commentary on the Confession and WLC, such as the ones by Vos and Williamson are good too.

Hi:

The Christ of the Covenants, by O. Palmer Robertson.

The Marrow of Modern Divinity, by Edward Fisher.

Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices, by Thomas Brooks.

The Christian's Great Interest, by William Guthrie.

Human Nature In Its Fourfold State, by Thomas Boston.

The Systematic Theology of John Brown of Haddington.

The Biography of John Calvin by Williston Walker.

The Songs of Zion, by Michael Bushell.

The Return of Prayers, by Thomas Goodwin.

The Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life, by John Calvin.

English Popish Ceremonies, by George Gillespie.

True Worship, by Jeremiah Burroughs.

Grace,

-CH

... Anyway, we're just about to open up our bookstore at our church, and, while it is fairly comprehensive, there are lots of "baby Christians" at our church, so I doubt we'll be plugging "the heavy stuff" right off the bat. Having said that, we want CORE, staple items to be the most prominently featured-- divines or contemporary-- whatever kicked open some of the barn doors to your faith, greatly increased your understanding of Scripture, and brought heretofore unseen personal intimacy and love for Jesus Christ...

If you want the hit the basics then What Do Presbyterians Believe? by Gordon Clark is a must have.
item67.jpe

It's also a good book for a Sundayschool class for new Christians, or new to the reformed faith, or just as a Presbyterians 101 class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back