Top 25 Books of ALL TIME!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can not believe I did not list these two books!

The Christ of the Covenants, by O. Palmer Robertson.

Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices, by Thomas Brooks.

These two are definitely a must for the church library!

You've posted some great classical literature Paul, but would you recommend all of these for a church's bookstore, particularly for new Christians seeking to grow in their faith?

Well, I may have posted some great books, but unfortunately I can't count! I left #11 out, so how about putting Flannery O'Connor in there? Maybe Hawthorne? Or a modern theologian?

Now to answer your question . . . You raise an important point. My list emphasizes the liberal arts because I assume the importance of cultural education for one's faith. These are what I would consider to be "first things" for getting acquainted with Christianity and its history and influence in the west. Also included are key books that preceded Christendom, or presented challenges to it later. Anyway, that's my thinking behind having such books in one's library. I'd love to keep talking about these things; let me know what you think.

PW

I can not believe I did not list these two books!

The Christ of the Covenants, by O. Palmer Robertson.

Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices, by Thomas Brooks.

These two are definitely a must for the church library!

Hey, Brian!

Good to hear from you!!! Hope you are well....

Alex

Great question! Here's a top 25 off the top of my head and in no particular order.

1. Collected Works of the Apostolic, Ante-Nicene, and Nicene Fathers
2. Calvin, Collected Writings
3. Aquinas, Summa Theologica
4. New International Commentary of the Old and New Testaments
5. Greek New Testament and Hebrew Old Testament
6. Collected Works of Shakespeare
7. The Western Heritage by Kagan, Ozment, & Turner
8. Dante, The Commedia
9. Dostoevsky, Collected Works
10. Homer, Iliad & Odyssey
12. Virgil, Aeneid
13. Melville, Moby-Dick
14. Darwin, Origin of the Species
15. The Koran
16. Schaff's Church History
17. Norton Anthology of English Literature
18. Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
19. Sophocles, The Oedipus Cycle
20. Aeschylus, The Oresteia and Prometheus Bound
21. Milton, Paradise Lost
22. Chaucer, Canterbury Tales
23. Beowulf
24. Ovid, Metamorphoses
25. Collected Works of William Faulkner

Wow--- that's an awesome collection!!!! It would be hard to get bored with that kind of material, huh?!?

Nonetheless, the question is more geared to a theological goal-- that of dealing specifically with Christian Doctine, so as to round out a solid base for a bookstore within a reformed church...

So, while your selections brought a smile to my face (especially Beowulf!!!), they would not necessarily solve the core issue of providing reading material which enhances one's understanding of the Bible, and one's walk with Jesus Christ.

Great list, though-- no question!!!!

In no particular order....

The Sovereignty of God - A.W. Pink
What is Reformed Theology - R.C. Sproul
Bondage of the Will - Martin Luther
The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination - Lorraine Boettner
All of Grace - C.H. Spurgeon
An Antidote Against Arminianism - Christopher Ness
A Sure Guide to Heaven - Joseph Alleine
Life by His Death - John Owen (an easy to read version of Death of Death in the Death of Christ)
Right with God - John Blanchard
Advice for Seekers - C.H. Spurgeon
A Price for a People - Tom Wells
The Christian Following Christ as Lord - William Webster
Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God - Jonathan Edwards
Fair Sunshine - Jock Purves
Today's Gospel: Authentic or Synthetic - Walter Chantry
Sermons of Robert Murry M'Cheyne - Robert Murry M'Cheyne
Signs of the Apostles - Walter Chantry
What's in the Bible - R.C. Sproul & Robert Wolgemuth
The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended & Documented - Steele, Thomas & Quinn
Are Five Points Enough? The Ten Points of Calvinism - Leonard J. Coppes

Oh, and here's a good study for the new christian ;)

http://scripturetruths5.tripod.com/gracestudy.html
http://www.monergism.com/directory/link_category/Bible-Study/Reformed-Distinctives/Grace-Studies/

AWESOME List.... :D:up:

AWESOME List....

Thanks. There are definately alot a great works that I left out but I was focusing more on the new christian or those new to the reformed faith. I find that most people just don't have the patience or comprehension to sit down with Edwards or Owen. It sort of overwhelms them at first. I really like the book "What's in the Bible" by Sproul and Wolgemuth. It's a very easy read and great to get a new christian familiar with scripture.

Years back I put together that study (the one on the links that I posted) on grace specifically to give to family members who thought that I was just listening to Calvin or Luther rather than scripture. My mother-in-law was able to go through it easily with her bible but if I would've given her Freedom of the Will or Death of Death in the Death of Christ she wouldn't have gotten very far.

I would have to add:

The Death of Death in the Death of Christ by John Owen
Days of Vengeance by David Chilton
The Doctrine of Repentance by Thomas Watson
A New Systematic Theology by Robert Reymond

Thanks. There are definately alot a great works that I left out but I was focusing more on the new christian or those new to the reformed faith. I find that most people just don't have the patience or comprehension to sit down with Edwards or Owen. It sort of overwhelms them at first. I really like the book "What's in the Bible" by Sproul and Wolgemuth. It's a very easy read and great to get a new christian familiar with scripture.

Years back I put together that study (the one on the links that I posted) on grace specifically to give to family members who thought that I was just listening to Calvin or Luther rather than scripture. My mother-in-law was able to go through it easily with her bible but if I would've given her Freedom of the Will or Death of Death in the Death of Christ she wouldn't have gotten very far.

Well said. I'm right with you on this. If you gave me Death of Death early on in my walk, I would have just crossed my eyes and started drooling. However, being a tad more advanced in my walk now, I see that book as absolutely indispensable!!!!

I would have to add:

The Death of Death in the Death of Christ by John Owen
Days of Vengeance by David Chilton
The Doctrine of Repentance by Thomas Watson
A New Systematic Theology by Robert Reymond

Haven't read the Chilton book, but the others are a theological/foundational treasure trove!!! :up::up:

From what I can remember, I'd say both. It's been a few years since I've read them.

There are others as well. Type "grace publications" in the cvbbs search engine.

Wow--- that's an awesome collection!!!! It would be hard to get bored with that kind of material, huh?!?

Nonetheless, the question is more geared to a theological goal-- that of dealing specifically with Christian Doctine, so as to round out a solid base for a bookstore within a reformed church...

So, while your selections brought a smile to my face (especially Beowulf!!!), they would not necessarily solve the core issue of providing reading material which enhances one's understanding of the Bible, and one's walk with Jesus Christ.

Great list, though-- no question!!!!

Ha ha! Yes, I know that my list is rather unorthodox. Thanks for your compliments. I do not really wish to press this issue; it is your investment, after all, and these types of lists are purely conventional. There are all sorts of factors to consider. Whether anyone actually reads this stuff anymore is a question well worth asking if you want to at least break even on your bookstore. For me, however, these seem to be books worth reading, then reading again and again. There are a lot like that, huh!

Anyway, I know that you will want to have several good reformed theological works. Just don't completely dismiss the idea of including some literature in there. Crime and Punishment, for example, seems to me a novel well worth reading in a Sunday School setting.

Take it for what it's worth. :)

"The Enemy Within" by Kris Lungard
"Knowing God" by J.I. Packer

Both of these are down-to-earth, "easy" to read, convicting, and full of precious treasures for the soul!

Well, there's not 25 of them, but aside from seconding Pilgrim's Progress and the Westminster Standards I think it would be good to mention a few items that so far have been neglected. There are many other things, of course, but thinking of new believers, these seem very appropriate.

William Guthrie, The Christian's Great Interest. This is the best book on conversion I have read: much better than John Murray's Redemption Accomplished and Applied

Walter Marshall, The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification.

Both of these have been so strongly recommended by others that it's hard to think of what I could add.

And C.S. Lewis, The Pilgrim's Regress. There is nothing else quite like this.

Perhaps I should explain the rationale behind my selection, as that gives better material for judging my selection.

It would seem desirable to understand both what a true Christian is and how to become one/how to be sure you are one. Hence, Guthrie.

All of Christian life is a process of sanctification. Hence, Marshall.

A solid foundation of doctrine is a great help in every way. Hence, the Westminster Standards.

And then, to let us know what to expect, to engage our imaginations, to locate Christianity within its intellectual context, the two Pilgrim books.

Lacking is a good book on hermeneutics, of course. But alas! I have never encountered one, though Augustine's De Doctrina Christiana might be made to serve if it were not so short.

Ha ha! Yes, I know that my list is rather unorthodox. Thanks for your compliments. I do not really wish to press this issue; it is your investment, after all, and these types of lists are purely conventional. There are all sorts of factors to consider. Whether anyone actually reads this stuff anymore is a question well worth asking if you want to at least break even on your bookstore. For me, however, these seem to be books worth reading, then reading again and again. There are a lot like that, huh!

Anyway, I know that you will want to have several good reformed theological works. Just don't completely dismiss the idea of including some literature in there. Crime and Punishment, for example, seems to me a novel well worth reading in a Sunday School setting.

Take it for what it's worth. :)

Nice post--- and it is duly noted. Thanks again for your input. If I had my 'druthers, I'd choose YOUR selection (or something extremely close) for my GENERAL library-- Though I would include an absolutely PHENOMENAL book currently on the NYT Best Seller list-- NOT told from the Christian perspective, so much as the Judeo-Christian-to-Muslim DEMOGRAPHIC struggle (read:war) that is currently being waged. **NOTE TO ALL: PLEASE read this book, and we can discuss it...

As for my THEOLOGICAL library, the other posts are more suitable for my directed purpose (a church bookstore)...

Again, thanks! :D

Oops!!! Sorry-- coffee hasn't kicked in yet-- :lol: I guess I should actually NAME THE BOOK I'm recommending so strongly!!!! :rofl::rofl:

It is America Alone, by Mark Steyn...

:rofl:

Looking back through everyone's lists...and of course I caught this one....

Christianity and Liberalism (1923) by J. Gresham Machen (1881-1937)
How to Barbecue Mini-Dougnuts Without Them Falling Between the Bars on the Grill by Bill "Baptist in Crisis" Brown

Both of these are must-haves.

David Well's 4 volume set on theology:
No Place for Truth
God in the Wasteland
Losing our Virtue
Above all Earthly Powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back