Top Apologetics Works of all Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
This is a little tricky. While unbelief has plagued the church always, many works in the past had apologetical thrusts that did defend the faith, albeit not against atheism (e.g., Luther's Bondage of the Will).

Secondly, objectivity is impossible in such a list. I cannot be neutral (thus proving presuppositionalism :lol: ).

But here goes (in no particular order).

1. St Augustine, City of God
2. St. Anselm, either Proslogion or Monologion
3. Luther, Bondage of the Will
4. John Calvin, the polemical parts of The Institutes of the Christian Religion
5. Cornelius Van Til, The Defense of the Faith (1955 ed.)

I would like to put something by Plantinga, as I he is probably the top philosopher of the day, but am not well-read on him enough to do so.

Unfortunately, I didn't list Aquinas, and he probably deserves it.

What!? You're a presuppositionalist and you didn't put Romans at number one. Come on Jacob. ;)

You did mention Bahnsen's Always Ready in this thread. Where would you put it in this new list?

Let's not forget this marvelous list compiled and published by Tom Bombadil.

What!? You're a presuppositionalist and you didn't put Romans at number one. Come on Jacob. ;)

You did mention Bahnsen's Always Ready in this thread. Where would you put it in this new list?

Let's not forget this marvelous list compiled and published by Tom Bombadil.

Pau... er, Bombadil had different aims. I was just having fun. He wrote a book.

With regard to Bahnsen's work, while it is naturally incredible, it hasn't received the status of "church history classics" (I guess Van Til's hasn't, either).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back